NAD: Peavey 6505 MH! It's pretty brutal!

Azarea

Reaction score
... hit the post button too early
The gist of it comes down to if the extra features of the 5153 are worth double the price for you (they were for me).
Overall I love the amp, while I bought it for channel 3 mainly I end up playing on channel 2 a lot more than I expected. If it matters to you it sounds pretty good at appartement levels as well, even though it'll go from there to neighbors calling the cops pretty quickly if you're not too careful with the volume pots.
Alternatively if you want to try bigger tubes in a lunchbox amp for approximately the same investment of your MH I'd look at the PRS MT15.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Do you thing returning it and getting an evh 5150 50w is worth it? more versatile?
If you're gonna get the 5153 50w, you may as well just get the 6505. It's just as bedroom friendly, but does lack the nice clean channel of the 5153, so take that for what it's worth. I like the gain structure of the original 5150/6505 A LOT more than the 5153. It has more body, and is not as compressed. The 5153 is more strident, and Marshallish to me. People say the blue channel is like a hot rodded Marshall, and i can totally see that.

The 6505+ is a different story though. For whatever reason, the taper does not seem to be as good, so it gets crazy loud fast super fast.

I also liked the MT15 more than the 5153.

Reaction score
Hi, what do you mean by taper? im still thinking of returning it because idk if ill regret lol.
also one thing is that allot or some people are switching to the helix so it means that, that piece
of hardware feels like an amp?

Reaction score

the mh doesnt seem to have the tone that i want after watching this video :(
so i im gonna return it. im still wanna get better at guitar and i dont have the skills to play in a full band. skills for other genres like improvising and switching songs to other keys. in metal is different thing( i believe). but if was to play in a band in the feature does the mt15 have enough headroom?

i heard people saying that is to loud at bedrooms levels. is this true? if it is, the 5150 50w is better for this?

Last edited:

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Hi, what do you mean by taper? im still thinking of returning it because idk if ill regret lol.
also one thing is that allot or some people are switching to the helix so it means that, that piece
of hardware feels like an amp?
The taper refers to the increase or decrease of volume, in this particulare case. The 6505 has a nice, gradual adjustment, while other amps can just jump in volume. In fact, the 6505 has a much better taper than the MT15.

The Helix, as well as other digital gear sounding like real amps is totally open for debate. Some people swear by high end digital gear, while others would rather have a real tube amp.

Reaction score
The taper refers to the increase or decrease of volume, in this particulare case. The 6505 has a nice, gradual adjustment, while other amps can just jump in volume. In fact, the 6505 has a much better taper than the MT15.

The Helix, as well as other digital gear sounding like real amps is totally open for debate. Some people swear by high end digital gear, while others would rather have a real tube amp.
but the 6505 doesnt have a master volume is different than other amps no? for example most amps have a pre gain, pos gain volume and master volume.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
but the 6505 doesnt have a master volume is different than other amps no? for example most amps have a pre gain, pos gain volume and master volume.
While the 5150/6505 does not have a master volume, the "post gain" on the 6505 IS the volume for that particular channel: one for the Rhythm channel, and one for the Lead channel. In other words, each channel has it's own volume (post gain) knob. That's really all you need.

The 5153 50w also does not have a MV, just a volume knob for each channel.

Reaction score
I’m looking now at a 5153 combo it has an attenuator. What do you think about that one? Sorry for all my questions I’m still a beginner to intermediate player. Just wanna get something that I won’t regret like peavey

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I’m looking now at a 5153 combo it has an attenuator. What do you think about that one? Sorry for all my questions I’m still a beginner to intermediate player. Just wanna get something that I won’t regret like peavey
Those amps don't need attenuators.

A head with a nice cab will always sound better than a combo, imo.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score

One more thing did evh/fender fixed this problem?

I’ll be getting the evh or 6505. I like the evh because of its versatility and the 6505 because it has more balls. ( by looking at YouTube videos)

Uuhhh....ive never experienced that with any of my evh amps. I mean, they're definitely hissy (much more so than the 6505), but nothing like that.

satchisgod

Reaction score
Just coming back to this thread again, so thought I'd update. I've been practicing with my band since January of this year with the MH and it has been great. However I am now regretting not just getting the big brother 6505 in the first place. As good and as handy as the small amp is, it's convenient size is about the only benefit to this amp really. I played through a 5150II at the weekend at practice and my face lit up. The low end, the power and the headroom so that I can boost it for solos. The lack of headroom on the MH when you are running it at practice volume doesn't allow you to get a noticeable boost.

So I'm now looking to get a proper amp, i.e. a 120W beast. Harder to carry and all that but worth it. The MH doesn't cut the mustard at all. I'll hold onto it though for bedroom playing. It's so handy for that.

I don't want to spend too much money on a head so do I go 6505 or Laney Ironheart? Researching like crazy at the moment. Hard decision at the moment. I'm leaning towards Peavey though, just because of my familiarity with the brand over the years.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Just coming back to this thread again, so thought I'd update. I've been practicing with my band since January of this year with the MH and it has been great. However I am now regretting not just getting the big brother 6505 in the first place. As good and as handy as the small amp is, it's convenient size is about the only benefit to this amp really. I played through a 5150II at the weekend at practice and my face lit up. The low end, the power and the headroom so that I can boost it for solos. The lack of headroom on the MH when you are running it at practice volume doesn't allow you to get a noticeable boost.

So I'm now looking to get a proper amp, i.e. a 120W beast. Harder to carry and all that but worth it. The MH doesn't cut the mustard at all. I'll hold onto it though for bedroom playing. It's so handy for that.

I don't want to spend too much money on a head so do I go 6505 or Laney Ironheart? Researching like crazy at the moment. Hard decision at the moment. I'm leaning towards Peavey though, just because of my familiarity with the brand over the years.

If you enjoy the tone I would definitely recommend looking at the 6505 or 6505+.

')