NAD: Rhodes Orthos 100 (KSR Amplification)

• Thread starter Endnote
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Endnote

Reaction score
I've actually had this for about a month now, but wanted to go through the motions before posting an NAD. I'll try to keep my opinion short.

The only tube amps I've owned prior to this are the Peavey JSX, Mesa RectoVerb 50 watt combo, Krank Rev, and the Mesa Rectoverb 25. Of my previous amps the JSX was my favorite because the gain channel was perfect for the music I play, primarily rock and metal, but the amp didn't put out the volume I wanted from it (even though it was 120 watts) and it was heavy as can be (about 55 pounds). The Mesa was way too flubby on the bottom end even with a OD.

As for the Orthos - I would venture to say that the gain channel combines the best qualities of the Peavey and Mesas I owned. The bottom end is tight, the mids are rich, and the treble is clear. I've heard people say it is the best distortion they've heard. While I've played an assortment of other amps, the only other amp I was heavily considering was the Mesa Mark V. But I liked what Kyle was doing and I really enjoyed the demos I'd heard from the other amps he builds. So I went for this. Definitely a big step up from my previous amps. I would also add that the gain channel has a very modern sound. Though it can take other types of tubes, it definitely does not have the flavor of any Marshall type tone I've heard in the past. And while I love the sound of the JCM800, the Orthos comes closer to fitting what I want to hear.

Kyle's business is pretty small (himself and a couple of others) so the wait time was about 4 months for me. Well worth the wait for sure, and Kyle was definitely a pleasure to communicate with. While I'm sad that the Rhodes logo won't be sticking around, I feel like I've got something unique.

Anyhow, here it is:

u44idNG.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
Congrats dude! I think it's pretty cool that you have the Rhodes nameplate. Might make it sort of a collectible down the line.

I'm trying to sell off my Roadster to fund a Gemini, but my Craigslist isn't cooperating. How would you compare the gain sound to your rectifiers? How do you like the cleans?

Endnote

Reaction score
The cleans are good. Of the amps I have owned this one is the best and most versatile. Not as good as Fender cleans but it definitely has the right sound for what I want, in addition to having a gain pot to raise or lower the amount of breakup you're looking for. I enjoy the gain channel way more than any Rectifier I've owned or played. I'd say it's much tighter and more focused. It is very clear even with some of my guitars that are tuned down a couple of steps.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Congrats, this seems like a killer amp. Can you make any clips of the high gain?

I've been wanting one since the namm video :/

Endnote

Reaction score
Unfortunately my mic is out of commission and I have no idea when I'm gonna get a new one. The Orthos has the same gain channel as the Colossus but with fewer voicing switches though. Taken from the website:

"The Orthos™ Lead channel is based on our signature high-gain sound that aims to give you one of the most unique, round, warm, yet extremely usable and cutting high gain tones available. The Lead 1 and Lead 2 voicings from the Colossus are both available via the Voice switch. Lead 1 has a nice solid and tight mid voicing that is great for rhythms and leads alike. Lead 2 has a lower mid-point and is favored by most for smooth singing leads. The Lead channel sound is technically fixed to Colossus Mode On and Fat On. This is one of our most popular high-gain tones, and it made sense to build a stripped-down amp around it. This sound is great for metal and rock alike, depending on the overall Gain and Bright settings."

Most of the high quality demos you've heard sound like what you would hear from the Orthos IMO.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
There just aren't that many demos yet, so we demand clips! Cellphone if need be!!! I'm really glad to see this pop up here; I've been dying for feedback as I'm stuck between this and the Randall Satan. It seems like it's right on the money for what I want (both tone and pun intended). It's really cool you snagged one when the Rhodes logo was still going on them!

What tube set is in yours?

Endnote

Reaction score
Aww but cell phone videos are always so terrible! Maybe in a couple of months, but my money went to the Orthos this year. If I can get my mic functioniong we might get lucky. I'm running 6L6s which Kyle uses as the default tubes AFAIK. I hope to try KT88s or KT66s one day but the 6l6s are more than enough.

The Satan has a lot going for it, though it seemed designed for almost metal only. Nonetheless, it's got 2 6l6s and 2 KT88s, so that sounds like a phenomenal and rare setup. My only problem is that I have no idea where it's manufactured. That may not always mean it's bad quality but I've had bad luck with stuff made in China/Indonesia/Mexico and some Korean stuff. At the price point it's at I hope it's made in the US.

While I'm disappointed Kyle had to change the logo/brand, I'm glad he just went with rebranding rather than cut off production for the sake of a lawsuit. Even so, glad I got the old logo in time, especially since not many are gonna be like this.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
My interest in the Satan is mostly in the fact that you can mix tubes. I love KT88s, and I played a mixed/biased Meteoro MAK 3000 that had 6L6/KT88s in it. No idea what preamp tubes. It was one of the most evil and brutal amps I've ever played. Very hard to find nowadays.

I don't dig Ola's settings, and the demo videos are mostly from him, but hearing the new Scar Symmetry stuff was reamped by him through a Satan gave me a boner. Likewise, there aren't a lot of ANY Orthos demos, and even though the tube combo is fixed, I'd grab one with KT88s. I used to play a Fryette Deliverance with a Fryette cab that had front loaded speakers. I've never played a rig that brought out more of the guitar's natural sound than that. Kyle wrote me stating that's a lot of the idea with his amps, that the guitar's natural flavor really comes through well. I love the gain tones. Absolutely love them, in what limited stuff is out there. For the price, it wouldn't be a gamble at all, especially following your feedback. I'm all about brutal metal amps being an ENGL guy, but the Orthos would provide amazing advantages in versatility while still being a really simple amp to tweak.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I would go with a Kyle's work over mass produced overseas amps. Rhodes has a great ear for tone...that being said, the Satan does have a great set of features that could lure you in. I fear that Satan could become like the Egnater line- which went from revered to worse than Bulgera when it went overseas. Rhodes is built like a tank and will have a rock solid backing from the company.

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
I would (personally) grab the Rhodes with kt88s. I have a Gemini with 6l6s and wish i got kt88s with it. I have a Satan too and it's a beast and built like a tank. I wouldn't worry about QC issues.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
I would (personally) grab the Rhodes with kt88s. I have a Gemini with 6l6s and wish i got kt88s with it. I have a Satan too and it's a beast and built like a tank. I wouldn't worry about QC issues.

There's a decent chance I might try both and keep the one I like, if I can stop spending money on guitars and extreme long range rifles.

50 watts (60'sih with KT88s) would be good enough too for my uses. On that note, does this have a 1/2 power switch? Or I guess pull two tubes and fuses too.

protest

Reaction score
There's a decent chance I might try both and keep the one I like, if I can stop spending money on guitars and extreme long range rifles.

50 watts (60'sih with KT88s) would be good enough too for my uses. On that note, does this have a 1/2 power switch? Or I guess pull two tubes and fuses too.

I think you just have to pull the two fuses to drop it down to 50w.

Endnote

Reaction score
Here ya go MAJ. Some rudimentary and short clips. No eq but some slight compression after I recorded them. Signal was Warmoth Strat (E standard tuning, canary neck with ziricote board and alder body) with a Seymour Distortion (TB6) in the bridge straight into the amp with a Mesa 2x12 cab (V30s) mic'ed with an AKG D5 into an old Line 6 UX1, recorded with Audacity. The first and third clips I double-tracked while the second track was only one track.

Settings included (all out of 10 for the knobs) = Lead Voicing 1, Bright switch on, Loop off, Master Volume at 7, Channel Volume at 6, Gain at 4, Treble at 7, Mid at 5 Bass at 5, Top (similar to presence knob) at 6, Bottom (similar to a resonance knob) at 4. Earplugs were worn at all times, friends.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/endnote162/rhodesfirst[/SC]
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/endnote162/rhodessecond[/SC]
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/endnote162/rhodesthree[/SC]

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Pure sex. I am absolutely in love. The distortion is just so smooth and yet hints at being seriously mean. It just has an incredible amount of balance. That's a ton of bite and grit with the gain just at 4! It's absurdly impressive, especially being pretty raw with little to no effects added. Nothing that would reshape the tone enough to be noticeable. There is such a clear organic bounce to it, and yet plenty of modern edge. Seriously, thanks for putting those clips together. Best demo of this amp by far.

sandalhat

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those clips, they sound fantastic! Pretty much everything MAJ said. I'm really happy to hear such balance in a quality high gain amp, it's totally what I'm looking for and makes me super excited to get my Gemini sometime in the next few months.

')