NAD! VHT/Fryette Pitbull 100

• Thread starter nateispro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nateispro

Reaction score
Okay, I got this guy in a trade for my Science Amplifiers Hellhawk 50 watt. I've previously had a Science Decononizer as well. Both as heavily Marshall based (JCM/JVM and SLO). I loved them both and think they're work is amazing but I had an offer for this VHT and it being a bucket list amp I could not say no. I got it in this afternoon and I must say it is a BEAST of an amp!! I know they're dry amps but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS dry. It's a nice change, you have to put a lot more work into your picking and being a clean player but you get rewarded oh so handsomely! I love having the options of having either channel be clean or high gain, I have my HX stomp running in 4CM and it is killer. Such a versatile and dynamic setup. I'll need to get some recordings or at least a video up to show it off. I struggled to find a good metal demo on youtube, maybe I didn't look hard enough! I can't wait for my Instrumental STFY3-7 to show up for my RGD. Ethan was saying they're a killer combo together! It's been refinished with white tolex that isn't really sticking on the edges and in the back anymore, I think I'm going to pull it off and finish it purple to match my Emperor 2x12 (Yes I'm a sucker for purple!). I'm glad I switched, the difference in gain from my old Science amps is amazing, it is such a thick, cutting tone and the attack on the low notes is so fast. It doesn't need a boost to be tight at all!

Attachments

• 20190419_214409.jpg
    20190419_214409.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190419_214414.jpg
    20190419_214414.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 57

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I like the white! Anything other than black is cool. What year is that? I’m going to guess it was originally a VHT, and got a faceplate swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve seen that grille style on anything but UL’s and CLX’s, so it’s a bit unique; or someone swapped headshells.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Noice. Def looks like one of the older models (early 2000’s?), since it has the light grey push-button switches and dark grey grille cloth. I don’t think that headshell style is used much anymore but I think it was more common in the past. Shame, since it looks so badass.

I’ve really been GASing for a UL or CL lately, and not just because of forum hype. I have a GP/DI preamp and 2/50/2 power amp, and I finally discovered the secret of tight and punchy high gain. Mids. The secret is mids. The higher the better.

That makes the amp super mid-focused sounding so then I just cut mids, and boost treble and bass with an eq between the preamp and power amp. I now finally understand why everyone likes the GEQ’s on Fryette/VHT amps.

I’m also blown away by how well it takes boosts. Using my tc preamp it is super tight and surgical, but using a tubescreamer it’s much more chunky and crunchy. Turn off the boost and flip the gain level switch to ‘less’ and there’s the legit crunch sounds. Roll back volume and there’s cleans.

Really hoping I find a head for a good price as I hear they’re even more dynamic than the pre/poweramp setup, but also kinda not, since I don’t need more amps and less money.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
noice, I also just got a pittbull UL recently. I get the tight/dry comments now, something about the midrange gives the amp a super stiff feeling on the rhythm channel. also, holy fuck, this amp has ALL the low end. Like more than my other 100w heads (except my FSM or F100) even with bass nearly off.

Shask

Reaction score
Noice. Def looks like one of the older models (early 2000’s?), since it has the light grey push-button switches and dark grey grille cloth. I don’t think that headshell style is used much anymore but I think it was more common in the past. Shame, since it looks so badass.

I’ve really been GASing for a UL or CL lately, and not just because of forum hype. I have a GP/DI preamp and 2/50/2 power amp, and I finally discovered the secret of tight and punchy high gain. Mids. The secret is mids. The higher the better.

That makes the amp super mid-focused sounding so then I just cut mids, and boost treble and bass with an eq between the preamp and power amp. I now finally understand why everyone likes the GEQ’s on Fryette/VHT amps.

I’m also blown away by how well it takes boosts. Using my tc preamp it is super tight and surgical, but using a tubescreamer it’s much more chunky and crunchy. Turn off the boost and flip the gain level switch to ‘less’ and there’s the legit crunch sounds. Roll back volume and there’s cleans.

Really hoping I find a head for a good price as I hear they’re even more dynamic than the pre/poweramp setup, but also kinda not, since I don’t need more amps and less money.
Yeah, I tend to like scooped mids, but back when I had a D120, I remember it sounded all hollow and like ass in general with the mids down. They really had to be turned up for it to sound right.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I tend to like scooped mids, but back when I had a D120, I remember it sounded all hollow and like ass in general with the mids down. They really had to be turned up for it to sound right.
Yeah the mids on the D120 really need to be at 12 o’ clock or higher to sound right. I’m having an effects loop added to mine next week so I’m excited to run an EQ in the loop to tweak some of the mids down a bit.

nateispro

Reaction score
I like the white! Anything other than black is cool. What year is that? I’m going to guess it was originally a VHT, and got a faceplate swap.

Yea Im thinking its not the original headshell, its been messed with for sure, it has a entirely different second faceplace with the VHT logo on it as well. And to be honest I like the white as well, it just isnt holding up well when you are closer/in person, its falling off! I think matching purple would be kick ass! It needs the black knobs on it again too!

I don’t think I’ve seen that grille style on anything but UL’s and CLX’s, so it’s a bit unique; or someone swapped headshells.

I like it! The UL's have always been such a eye catching amp for me so for it to have a similar look its pretty sweet to me!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
My 50/CL has that head shell style, same with my Ultra Lead :yesway: I'm definitely jealous of the white! I've got a white Mesa cab that would match really well

These are unique amps for sure. I know you'll enjoy it long-term :)

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Yeah the mids on the D120 really need to be at 12 o’ clock or higher to sound right. I’m having an effects loop added to mine next week so I’m excited to run an EQ in the loop to tweak some of the mids down a bit.

I had a D60 and agree the mids on that I liked around 1 o'clock to maxed other wise it just didn't do it for me. But that's pretty much the same with all my amps; I like mids. That D60 had a factory installed effects loop and it was glorious with an mxr 10 band in the loop. Your in for a treat ;)

Congrats to the OP!! They are great metal machines and great amps overall. I felt the dry aspect of the gain structure also. I liked it though because of the reason you stated in regards to being rewarded for spot on playing. Very articulate! I saturated mine pretty much to perfection using various OD pedals. The Wizard MCII I have is even more so if you can imagine and even more dry/open/articulate/revealing amp.

nateispro

Reaction score
I had a D60 and agree the mids on that I liked around 1 o'clock to maxed other wise it just didn't do it for me. But that's pretty much the same with all my amps; I like mids. That D60 had a factory installed effects loop and it was glorious with an mxr 10 band in the loop. Your in for a treat ;)

Congrats to the OP!! They are great metal machines and great amps overall. I felt the dry aspect of the gain structure also. I liked it though because of the reason you stated in regards to being rewarded for spot on playing. Very articulate! I saturated mine pretty much to perfection using various OD pedals. The Wizard MCII I have is even more so if you can imagine and even more dry/open/articulate/revealing amp.

Im finding the mids on the pitbull between 1 and 3 o clock sound best! I wasnt too worried about not having the EQ as I can add one with the stomp. I honestly couldnt imagine something tighter and drier than this guy!!

nateispro

Reaction score
So I need to ask. Im using WGS Creambacks right now and it sounds pretty good but I was wondering, are any speakers like a match made in heaven for this beast?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fane F70 and Eminence P-50E are specifically tuned for VHT/Fryette stuff. I have cabs with both and prefer them with my Deliverance over the other speakers I’ve tried. Not that anything I’ve tried has sounded bad with the VHT, just that the matched speakers tend to bring out the best tones IMO.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Speakers that are a bit "scooped" sound best with my ultra lead, the K100 works really well with it. I've not tried Fryette's cab/speakers though.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Very nice, I remember playing a VHT Pitbull in the past and loving it, then the dealer closed down and I was left with the only option of getting one abroad. A used one popped up but it is rather pricy. Anyone remember the reason why VHT changed to Fryette?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Very nice, I remember playing a VHT Pitbull in the past and loving it, then the dealer closed down and I was left with the only option of getting one abroad. A used one popped up but it is rather pricy. Anyone remember the reason why VHT changed to Fryette?
steve sold the VHT name to a chinese company. He still makes pittbulls fyi.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
So I need to ask. Im using WGS Creambacks right now and it sounds pretty good but I was wondering, are any speakers like a match made in heaven for this beast?
I’ve used C90, V30, T75, and creambacks in various combinations and all have a unique impact in the amp, but it ultimately still sounds like the UL. After a few seconds of trying one cab vs another the difference isn’t as noticeable. I have been tempted many times to grab an old VHT cab to try the Fane’s or P50E’s but I really don’t need anymore cabs (not that it’s stopped me in the past :lol:) so I’ve been able to resist the urge so far.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their website is www.fryette.com and they do have social media accounts but they’re not very active. They will make any amp in their lineup on request, but only build them in batches outside of those requests. Right now the only head they are stocking is the Pittbull 100CL head.