NAD - Weber Sunn clone

• Thread starter Blasphemer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
So I recently found this beast on craigslist. The seller said he was down to do a trade. I had an Egnater Vengeance which I really loved, but honestly haven't played in well over a year and a half, maybe even two years. I offered the trade up, and he accepted.

2019-04-13 12.08.52.jpg

It's a Weber Speakers 6S100 kit. Someone he knew had tried their hand in building, and gave up with it didn't work. He bought it, then took it to a local tech to fix up. It's now running pretty great. This thing is L O U D. It honestly makes my Model T seem tame, in comparison. 100W coming out of 2 KT88s. It has a Weber Copper Cap for a rectifier, which the jury is still out on. I may see if I can replace it easily with a tube recto.

Tonally, it sits somewhere between the older Sunn models (100S, Sentura, etc) and an old school Model T. It has a pretty good gain sound, but it needs to be so loud that it will kill small animals at 10 yards to get there. Seems like a pretty good pedal platform, or just an insane drone machine. I'll try and make a recording to show it off, but it's honestly kind of too loud to play in my home studio, like at all.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked with the trade!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Awesome. I don’t know what I would do with an amp like that since I don’t gig and I mostly play metal. But when I see one I still want it. At the very least it must be a totally different experience from a high gain amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome.

Hit it with a fuzzrocious heliotropic for maximum destruction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
How is the quality? I've wanted to do one of their kits for a while but have been wary of the quality.

The quality seems super solid. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out of the headshell and inspect what kind of pots and other hardware it has, though.

Well, having built 3 Weber amps so far, I can say that the stock transformers and pots are total garbage. If it was serviced by a decent tech, he hopefully upgraded at least the pots but I'd keep an eye on the transformer. My friend's Halle PT died on him after two years.

That being said, I've always wanted to try out the 6S100, seems like a doom monster. Have fun with it!

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
My friend's Halle PT died on him after two years.

OOF. Yeah, maybe I'll have to upgrade, at some point. My electronics knowledge is fairly fledgling, so I'm not sure how much I'd have to do to make it possible, but it'd be cool to put an UL transformer in there to get the total Sunn package.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So here's a ridiculous video I got of this thing. Weber amp, .strandberg* in drop A, ported Peavey 2x12 from the 80's (honestly puts my 4x12s to shame). The low end response was so powerful that it vibrated the head across the cabinet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndjh1t7romos2ex/2019-04-15 13.45.34.mp4?dl=0

lol

Haha damn, that’s some bass response.

You need some of these to clamp it down to the cab, apparently.

9925B2DF-6FF1-4A98-B186-F535F15E7E1B.jpeg

Or maybe just put it on something else so the vibration doesn’t rattle loose parts, or launch the tubes out of their sockets.

I wonder if bass players have that problem.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I think SVTs and other bass heads of that ilk tend to have much more secure tube sockets than guitar heads.

On another note, I’m making myself a Sunn badge for this very soon and having Sleep sign it this weekend. So stoked for that

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think SVTs and other bass heads of that ilk tend to have much more secure tube sockets than guitar heads.

On another note, I’m making myself a Sunn badge for this very soon and having Sleep sign it this weekend. So stoked for that

Oh yeah, good to see another SSO'er will be up there for the SLEEP shows this weekend. I'm getting high as shit for the show tomorrow :lol: