NAD

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I know :worth:

SO I will put them up later to prove I have acquired such gear :lol:

Long story short, I received a call on Friday from my buddy who works GC and he said that a 5150 just came in and he knew i wanted one so he said i have first dibs on her :cool: Well i left work 20 min later ran to GC and found a DEAD MINT 5150 :yesway:

I mean not a scratch on her, no rust on the inside....this thing must have been sitting in some guys house for its entire life. The tubes will prob need to be replaced soon (i know you judge them by looks, but the one looks toooo burnt in).

So i ran to my jam spot grabbed my 3120 (which is an awesome amp, its was just too quiet if that makes sense) and i picked up my LTD Viper Deluxe.

I then proceeded to bend over and let GC screw me :wallbash: I traded both the LTD and 3120 for $600 and some change... yeah i know :lol:

5150's dont come around to often where i live, and the ones i have seen :ugh:

I got it for an even $500 which i think is a good deal for one of the most legendary amps ever.

Anyways this thing is a monster! I played my buddies 6505+ before, but this thing seems like a totally different beast. Throwing a OD boost on her makes a HUGE impact on the tone compared to my 3120. It's like a night and day difference.

The conclusion i have come to is: Guitar tuned to drop g + 5150 + Basson 4x12 = Tone that can kill infants!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Is it the block 5150? Happy NAD! Jelaous!

i believe so, what makes it a block letter?

it looks just like this:
peavey_5150_1.jpg

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
i believe so, what makes it a block letter?

It's a signature. See by the power switches, Eddie's signature? The block letters had an "EVH" there instead, in... block letters :eek:

Haha there's literally no difference though. The block letters came out first, then they switched to the signatures a few years later, the only difference being that the signatures shipped with different tubes. Identical circuitry.

For $500 you got a hell of an amp man :yesway:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
It's a signature. See by the power switches, Eddie's signature? The block letters had an "EVH" there instead, in... block letters :eek:

Haha there's literally no difference though. The block letters came out first, then they switched to the signatures a few years later, the only difference being that the signatures shipped with different tubes. Identical circuitry.

For $500 you got a hell of an amp man :yesway:

Wow good explanation :yesway:

And yeah for $500...all i can say is i feel like i stole it :lol:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow good explanation :yesway:

And yeah for $500...all i can say is i feel like i stole it :lol:

Thanks man :yesway: Yeah haha that's ridiculous, I've never seen one sell below $500, and wouldn't have seen that coming from GC. I traded a Randall Lynchbox for mine, drove almost three hours to the guy's house to find out it wasn't even in very good shape, but traded him anyway because it sounded so good. Still don't regret that trade.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Thanks man :yesway: Yeah haha that's ridiculous, I've never seen one sell below $500, and wouldn't have seen that coming from GC. I traded a Randall Lynchbox for mine, drove almost three hours to the guy's house to find out it wasn't even in very good shape, but traded him anyway because it sounded so good. Still don't regret that trade.

Haha yeah for $500 i had to take it. I didn't want to trade my LTD but $500 for 5150 > LTD all day.

As long as its sounds good and you think it will hold up :yesway:

I would be hesitant to buy a beat amp, but not a guitar :lol:

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I miss the days when 5150s sold for $500 all day. Now people want 700 for them. Back when I had mine, I bought it for 500 and sold it for 500.

In the current market, you definitely got a good deal.

samincolour

Sweaty fox.
Reaction score
Philligan beat me to it! There's no real difference I just get excited whenever I see a block 5150. Maybe it's cos they're older, idk

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Philligan beat me to it! There's no real difference I just get excited whenever I see a block 5150. Maybe it's cos they're older, idk

I think it's just the words "it's a block letter" :rofl: I would take any 5150 over a 6505, though. I've never heard anything to make me believe they sound different, old 5150s just have so much mojo.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I think it's just the words "it's a block letter" :rofl: I would take any 5150 over a 6505, though. I've never heard anything to make me believe they sound different, old 5150s just have so much mojo.

:agreed:

')