Name some melodic death bands that don't suck

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I can't stand many of the bands in this genre (or metalcore, which is essentially an Americanised version of the same thing). The only band I can think of that's done it well that isn't Carcass, Dark Tranquility or At The Gates is Vehemence with the album God Was Created (and that may only be because they really nailed the Heartwork vibe).

So, name some melodic death bands that actually include elements of death metal, aren't nu-metallers jumping trends (or ex-metallers going nu *cough*N*FLAYMZ*cough*), don't suckle from the teat of Pantera, don't have stupid wannabe-Halford/screamy guy harmonies or those stupid spoken-word bits where they guy can't decide whether to scream or talk in a tough voice, and preferably no bands with names made up of the randomly assorted melancholy words.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringdeath

death metal guru!
Reaction score
The Black Dahlia Murder's newer shit (miasma) is pretty good for that genre.
its definately not metalcore, or nu-metal ha.
its tough to beat At the Gates and Carcass though

Ripptyde

Reaction score
Amorphis
Norther
Kalmah
Fragments of Unbecoming
Quo Vadis
Hypocrisy
Carnal Forge
Darkane

I could go on...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arsis - it's the At the Gates vibe with more technicality.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
soilwork3.jpg

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^Hehe, A to F are already in my possession, so that's not an issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions people, keep them coming!

Of all the bands that have been mentioned, I know a couple. Arch Enemy are probably the best of the really popular melodic death bands at the moment but I'm not the biggest fan. I didn't even realise Hypocrisy were still around so I'm curious to hear the stuff they're putting out nowadays. As for Quo Vadis, they're pretty good but I didn't expect to see them reccommended as I wouldn't really think of them as "melodic death", but that's just me.

And Spoongirl, Carnal Forge aren't a very original band:ugh: From what I remember they sounded very much like The Haunted but not quite as good. I think I read on this forum somewhere that they broke up or something, I don't know for sure though.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Arsis
Insomnium
Kalmah
Eternal Tears of Sorrow

Ripptyde

Reaction score
DDDorian said:
As for Quo Vadis, they're pretty good but I didn't expect to see them reccommended as I wouldn't really think of them as "melodic death", but that's just me.
I guess Quo Vadis is more of a tech-melodeath band than just strait up melodeath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')