Name some melodic death bands that don't suck

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringdeath

death metal guru!
Reaction score
i cant beleive i forgot ARSIS they are from my home town in virginia.
arsis are the best melodic death ever.
period.
and, arch enemy sucks my left one.
but im all with skipping it all and going to some morbid angel.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
BinaryTox1n said:
Arch Enemy is the definitive melodic death metal band that doesn't suck.

+1

Arch Enemy are brilliant musicians - tasteful, melodic and brutal all at once :yesway:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
+1

Arch Enemy are brilliant musicians - tasteful, melodic and brutal all at once :yesway:

Not quite so sure about the newer stuff, but Wages of Sin was nice big wake up call. Having come from Carcass, I would've expected it eventually from Mike though.

An album that I heard recently which really blew away all my expectations was the last Dissection album. I was expecting nasty, noisy, four track sounding, dirgy black metal, but from the little I heard it was actually really decent melodic death.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
machinegunriffer82 said:
one band.....EXTOL! there fucking amazing! and technical not alot of ppl know about them.
Extol is pretty awesome, the new CD is way different than their old stuff.

Immortal Souls is pretty good too.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello! Mercenary. Awesome Gothenburg melodic metal. A little less 'death'y, but still fucking terrific. After this mention, I'm gonna re-emphasize some of the aforementioned choices.

1. Arsis. Probably my favorite band in this genre, after Carcass (who are a bit more straight up death, to me).
2. Heaven Shall Burn. They seem like real heavy metalcore, but I really dig their stuff. It's very listenable, and that can be overlooked sometimes with bands that are les sflashy, but overall really soild.
3. Arch Enemy. Duh. :yesway:

I also really dig The Haunted. The Black Dahlia Murder, and Through the Eyes of the Dead. Good shit. :yesway:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Carcass, Mercenary, and Arch Enemy would rank as my favorites in the genre. If Children of Bodom classifies as "melodic death metal" (as I hear them very often classified as), they would also be one of my top 5 favorites.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Through the Eyes of the Dead, E. Not many know of them, but they're fucking brutal, and still very listenable. If you like Carcass, you'll probably like these guys. The 'Bloodlust' album is sweet. (As an aside, I think they use 7's. At the very least, they do tune to B. :hbang: )

I won't 'guarantee' you'lll like 'em this time, though. :lol: But I think you might.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Check out Through the Eyes of the Dead, E. Not many know of them, but they're fucking brutal, and still very listenable. If you like Carcass, you'll probably like these guys. The 'Bloodlust' album is sweet. (As an aside, I think they use 7's. At the very least, they do tune to B. :hbang: )

I won't 'guarantee' you'lll like 'em this time, though. :lol: But I think you might.

Wrote 'em down. I'll check 'em out when I get the chance. :yesway:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, Melo-death... Couple not mentioned yet:

Dark Tranquility
Disarmonia Mundi
Shadow
Early Soilwork.
Scar Symmetry

I actually like Carnal Forge, and now that The Haunted blows ass, I'll stick with them. :lol:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
While I I like The Haunted, both new and older (probably the new stuff even more than the old), but hell yes I gotta vouche for Scar Symmetry. They're one of my favorite bands of the real heavy stuff, period. I can't believe I forgot them. :lol:

Good call, Toshiro.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I forgot Scar Symmetry too. Been listening to them quite a bit recently. Cool band.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Oh yeah. I forgot Scar Symmetry too. Been listening to them quite a bit recently. Cool band.

:agreed:

Also don't forget Into Eternity, though they straddle the line between melodic-death and prog, I would say.

Makelele

Reaction score
I don't see how In Flames is nu-metal, but I guess I could recommend you some Amorphis (the older albums, and the newest one).

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Makelele said:
I don't see how In Flames is nu-metal, but I guess I could recommend you some Amorphis (the older albums, and the newest one).

A lot of people nowadays say that a band is "nu metal" when they don't like them, even if that band does not even sound remotely nu metal (like In Flames).

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:

I love TTEOTD. Those guys are fucking awesome! I hope to catch them next month.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Naren said:
A lot of people nowadays say that a band is "nu metal" when they don't like them, even if that band does not even sound remotely nu metal (like In Flames).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJkD5bSmJY Whatever you say, buddy:nuts:

I'll be honest and say that most of the bands recommended really don't do much for me, but many have surprised me with the various different directions they've taken. Thanks a lot!

sevenstringdeath

death metal guru!
Reaction score
Through The Eyes Of The Dead definately uses 7 strings, one uses an S7, the other uses an RG7 though im not too fond of them, i think the drummer is horrible.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It took me a while, but I really dig The Black Dahlia Murder now. One of the only Americore bands I really love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')