Name some melodic death bands that don't suck

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
You should take a look to the last Deicide album The Stench of Redemption. Not excactly melodic death metal, but a big change in composition (thanks to ralph santolla) and interesting stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^Yeah, it's definitely the best Deicide album in a long time, since Once Upon The Cross in '95. At first I thought the melodic solos sounded strange but now I think they serve to make everything else sound even heavier, plus they're just cool solos. Definitely one of the best metal albums of the year.

Arsis, Extol and Into Eternity are all good, so thanks to those who recommended them! I was most surprised by the melodic vocals that Into Eternity use; that style has the potential to be very, very annoying but I'm digging it. Sounds like The Sound Of Perseverance with the vocals Chuck always dreamed of. Cool stuff.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Extol is pretty cool. I don't have any of their stuff, though. I think that Cynic is pretty melodic, but I guess that most would consider it progressive. I've never heard Arsis! I'm off to try to find some.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Spoongirl said:
You should take a look to the last Deicide album The Stench of Redemption. Not excactly melodic death metal, but a big change in composition (thanks to ralph santolla) and interesting stuff.

Agreed 100%. First Deicide material I've rated in a while.:yesway:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Makelele said:
Ok...:nuts:
I've heard that song and still don't think they sound remotely like nu metal.

How about this then; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1XU5qpjuk

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OubCWNgzgM&mode=related&search=

I agree, Makelele. :agreed: I personally like "Come Clarity" and don't think one song on there sounds even remotely like nu metal. I stick by what I first said. It seems people just claim that something is "nu metal" when they don't like it. :rolleyes:

I love "Reflect The Storm." :hbang: If nu metal sounded like that, it wouldn't be nu metal anymore. :lol: "Crawl Through Knives" is pretty awesome too and I guess someone could say that it's not "melodic death metal" anymore, but it's just about the furthest thing away from nu metal.

Martin_777

7 String Engineer
Reaction score
Makelele said:
Ok...:nuts:
I've heard that song and still don't think they sound remotely like nu metal.

How about this then; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1XU5qpjuk

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OubCWNgzgM&mode=related&search=

100% Agreed. In Flames do sound pretty modern since Reroute but it's far away from nu metal. The Jester Race (1996), Whoracle (1997), Colony (1999), and Clayman (2000) are definitely some of the best melodic death metal albums ever. :bowdown:

Try Dismember and God Dethroned's The Toxic Touch and maybe some of the later Hypocrisy stuff. They are all very good European bands doing great melodeath.

Have a go at Neaera. They do a good mixture of melodeath and metalcore. Very nice guys from my hometown. :hbang:
http://www.neaera.com/

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Spoongirl said:

Actually, Ralph and jack only wrote the leads. The drummer wrote all the songs, and always has. Except this time, they didn't have to simplify everything for the Hoffman brothers (steroid popping dudes who couldn't figure out how to work a lawn mower, according to Benton).

But, it is my favorite since Serpents of the Light (which was probably my fav. deicide before this came out). I can't really think of anything that sounds like the most recent deicide disc.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Actually, Ralph and jack only wrote the leads. The drummer wrote all the songs, and always has. Except this time, they didn't have to simplify everything for the Hoffman brothers (steroid popping dudes who couldn't figure out how to work a lawn mower, according to Benton).

But, it is my favorite since Serpents of the Light (which was probably my fav. deicide before this came out). I can't really think of anything that sounds like the most recent deicide disc.

Yeah...the standard of songwriting and the leading playing on the last record comapred to its predecessors kinda confirmed what Benton and Asaheim said in interviews.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Heartwork has some melodic moments, but in general its more death/thrash with a touch of grind.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Heartwork just helped spawn Melo-Death, along with At The Gates. The genre has thrash, death, and other influences. :)

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
First off, there is no way In Flames are "nu-metal". Looking at just abvout everyother band listed here, i guarantee almost all of them rate In Flames as a massive influence - be ith their old stuff or not - and In Flames were doing the whole melo-death way before many. Dark Tranquility are another great Melo-death band (their singer also sang on In Flames first album, Lunar Strain).
The Black Dahlia Murder; words do not describe - metal as fuck vocals (everything Chris Barnes and George Fischer should be) and awesome guitar and drum work. The chorus in "Closed Casket Requiem" from Unhallowed and Apex springs to mind, along with "A Vulgar Picture" or "Statutory Ape" from Miasma. Check them out - one of my biggest influences.
And anyway, define "nu-metal" - not with "they sound like limp bizkit" etc. (every band in metal will to some degree - they all use distortion and guitars!) but by defining what it is that makes a song "nu-metal".
[/rant]

Raeon

Reaction score
Trying to find a band that's not in any post on this thread, I am not very sure what I can add more. Maybe Glass Casket? They have some strange but extremely well played guitar works, and their songs consists of clean melodic parts where the vocalist does some horrible 'pop-metal' singing over it. Still worth checking out though!
Sorry if my suggestion sucked, but I have to thank all of thee for the great suggestions, I'll check it out.
Extol rocks.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Ooooo, Kalmah. They are metal as fuck with scottish dance melodies in 6/8 over the top. Definitely worth checking out - the song "Hades" springs to mind.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
It took me a while, but I really dig The Black Dahlia Murder now. One of the only Americore bands I really love.

Chances are the next album will suck, however. :(

If you go back and listen to their first one, Unhallowed, it's pretty mediocre. Miasma kicked ass, mainly because they picked up a new drummer, Zach Gibson, who is an absolute beast (they actually had to tone him down for Miasma) - they fired him on the last US tour, for really unknown reasons, and now he's with Abigail Williams.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, here I go:

CRAWL THROUGH KNIVES:
*Ridiculous whiny-Korn-guy chorus
*...wait, turns out that was just a pre-chorus or something, there's ANOTHER chorus, a soaring, majestic, autotuned Godsmack harmony-fest
*at the end of the obligatory repeat chorus when he starts doing the screamy bit the clean vocals are still going in the background, which really has nothing to do with songwriting, I just wanted to point that out

REFLECT THE STORM:
*whispery Korn-style vocals
*that melodic bit with powerchords interspersed with octaves - shows up in every second nu-metal song, and the emo kids love it too (harmonising the octaves doesn not equal metal)

LEECHES:
*starts with the "dopest" riff in recorded history, complete with Spineshank-esque electronics (I linked to this song because I have it on a promo somewhere, the electronics are pushed much further to the front there)
*the kick drum is triggered to give that stupid clicky bass sound

ELEMENTS NOT PARTICULAR TO JUST ONE OF THOSE THREE SONGS (OR MAYBE THEY ARE BUT I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO THEM AGAIN TO ASCERTAIN WHICH SONG IS WHICH
*Mid-tempo riffs til death (slapping the snare twice as often during a midtempo riff doesn not equal thrash, not that I think they even tried that in any of those songs)
*I counted at least two low-B one-finger bounce riffs
*Attempted death growls that more often than not turned into Coal Chamber scary-spooky-RRARRRRRRRfests
*After a guitar solo (was there more than one? I remember harmonies, but not many solos) I think singer-guy did a Kornesque "these lyrics are so poignant that I can't control my emotions" freak-out dealio

NOT ACTUALLY RELATED TO MUSIC CONTENT, BUT EUQALLY DUBIOUS:
*singer-guys fresh rap moves in those "live in studio" videos

There are obviously still elements of metal, but none from death metal, and the exclusively "metal" moments are pretty much limited to the style of guitar harmonies and the screamed vocals, both of which have been picked up by the emo/metalcore crowd. You could debate whether they're nu-metal or emocore or downtuned satanic polka until the cows come home but my point was that their "metal" elements are hardly in enough quantity to regard them exclusively as "metal" and not nu-emo-whatever, and ESPECIALLY not melodic death metal, which is what I'm looking for.

I'm not just claiming that they're "nu-metal" because I don't like them; I don't like anything they've released but it's clear that they started out as melodic death metal. Playing nu-metal and playing good music are hardly mutually exclusive, the same as with any genre. I mean, have you ever browsed the roster of Unique Leader Records? I don't think there's a single band on there that isn't an example of just how generic and banal death metal can be.

To the person who was talking about the influence that In Flames have had on the melodic death metal scene, I don't disagree. I think they've had a huge influence on the melodic death scene, which is why I specifically started a thread looking for melodic death bands that DON'T suck:fawk: You also mentioned Dark Tranquility, who I think are a perfect example of that. They've lost a lot of the extreme metal edge that they started with, but unlike bands like In Flames and Soilwork who totally cheesed out, you could still classify them as "extreme metal" without too much trouble. Furthermore, their Projector album is probably mellower than anything the melodeath/metalcore mainstays have released; lots of melancholy keyboards and little-to-zero growled vocals, yet it's still quite clearly metal, unlike the... shall we say, confused offerings of their peers.

So, yeah. That's where I stand, and the same goes for metalcore too, pretty much, although I have far more of a bone to pick with those kids. Try to leave names and comments with the negative rep this time kids:nono: Have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')