Name The Best Guitar Solo Of All Time And Why.

• Thread starter edawg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

edawg

Reaction score
Thought it would be a good idea to have people name their favorie guitar solo of all time, but on top of that actually explain why it gets your #1 spot.

I struggled for ages on this but I ended up picking Brian May's solo in Bohemian Rhapsody. I know its not technically the greatest solo of all time, but it was the ultimate addition in a classic song, it had great dynamics and a tremendous amount of energy behind it all the way through. On top of that the fact that it was played on a guitar he made himself tops it all off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
in my life there are just two real solos.
1- comfortably numb, pink floyd.

2- fatal tragedy, dream theater.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I like how no one's bothered to explain their videos yet :lol:

Anyway, I dunno. I'd have one for different genres and moods. One that I always seem to revert back to (I dunno if its #1 of all time, tho), is David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb. Everything about that solo is awesome.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
1. opeth-windowpane- Every solo in this song stands out, but the last one is possibly one of my favorite musical moments of all time.

2. Meshuggah-Straws Pulled At Random- When the guitars slow down and create that certain atmosphere, Fredrik comes in with the simplest solo ever that I can just close my eyes and zone out to. Made my eyes water a little bit the first time I heard it.

3. For the Love of God-Steve Vai- No explaining necessary.

4. Pink Floyd-Time- Brightens up my day every time.

5. Dream Theater-Under A Glass Moon- IMO, the defining petrucci moment.

The two other videos are just there.

beneharris

Reaction score

this one. because its awesome, especially at 1:30, it is the single most awesome thing anyone has ever played

ittoa666

Reaction score
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tx5W2xpgy88&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tx5W2xpgy88&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:scratch:

speedyone

Addicted 2 Dat Shred
Reaction score
I have a two-way tie:

1. Comfortably Numb-- just the icing on the cake of an utterly amazing song. The solo is so emotional, with fantastic vibrato, melody, and build-up. No need to link the vid, as I'm sure everyone knows the song.

2. Stand in Line (Impellitteri)-- the perfect use of speed as an "emotional effect". When the solo starts, you're just thinking "WTF is that?!" ...then, when he slows down into the bluesy playing with the high bends, it is pure bliss. (for me anyway!) The vibrato in between the fast playing is awesome as well. Just in case some of the yung-uns don't know the song, here's a link:

(solo starts at around 3:15)

I only really liked Impellitteri's Stand in Line Album; he drastically changed the way he played, along with his tone, on subsequent albums.

Honorable mention: the solo for Stone Temple Pilot's "Sin". So simple, so friggin' great!

ittoa666

Reaction score
I have a two-way tie:

1. Comfortably Numb-- just the icing on the cake of an utterly amazing song. The solo is so emotional, with fantastic vibrato, melody, and build-up. No need to link the vid, as I'm sure everyone knows the song.

2. Stand in Line (Impellitteri)-- the perfect use of speed as an "emotional effect". When the solo starts, you're just thinking "WTF is that?!" ...then, when he slows down into the bluesy playing with the high bends, it is pure bliss. (for me anyway!) The vibrato in between the fast playing is awesome as well. Just in case some of the yung-uns don't know the song, here's a link:

(solo starts at around 3:15)

I only really liked Impellitteri's Stand in Line Album; he drastically changed the way he played, along with his tone, on subsequent albums.

Honorable mention: the solo for Stone Temple Pilot's "Sin". So simple, so friggin' great!

Not to be mean or anything, but that solo was a bit much, and that singer is trying too hard to be like Graham Bonnet.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn lane's soloing in this video...

Unrivaled technical ability combined with awesome musicality, and he's improvising this shit :eek:

Latest posts

')