Name The Best Guitar Solo Of All Time And Why.

• Thread starter edawg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
1. Marty Friedman-Forbidden City

People often say Tornado of Souls or The Killing Road are his best solos but in humble option I vote this one.

When I heard the song, it nearly brought me to tears then almost immediately got me raging haha. The ending solo is perfect.

2. Devin Townsend-Suicide

Despite not being really known as a Soloing kind-of-guy in his records, he masterfully wrote one that not only enhanced the listening experience but truly communicated with the listener.

Devy, write more solos! :scream:

go to 4:50

3.Nevermore(Jeff Loomis)-Matricide

As much as I love Jeff Loomis's soloing from 2000-onward, something about his old more experimental solos really touched base with me.

Start at 3:14

4. Nevermore (Jeffery "at it again" Loomis)-Ambivalent

I had to list him twice ahaha. The solo speaks for itself. One of his more shredtastic solos. Close tie with the Enemies of Reality solo.

Start at 2:13

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
This is a really hard call for me but my favourite solo is probably i Jeff's in "final product" by nevermore,

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
^Damn, I been listening to that song all day yet its awesome solo slips my mind. Fail at my part :lol:

zeal0us

InstruMentalHead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a cover. Probably the best I've seen, though.

maxident213

Reaction score
My favourite guitar solo, nothing too flashy, just simple and effective:

0:22

Also the solos in "Vengeance Is Mine" by Morbid Angel are just insane, no studio version on Youtube though. :(

Nats

Reaction score
dream theater - the "intro" solo of This Dying Soul. floors me every time I hear it
Alice in Chains - love, hate love. it's like the perfect solo
nevermore - godless endeavor. with the sweeps and all. incredible
pantera - Floods & Cemetery Gates. chilling
Alex Lifeson's guest solo on Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize

speedyone

Addicted 2 Dat Shred
Reaction score
Not to be mean or anything, but that solo was a bit much, and that singer is trying too hard to be like Graham Bonnet.

LOL!

Good one. ...

:)

I agree the solo was a bit much. Perhaps he should play a little more laid back, and in the pocket like this:

That was some sick phrasing!

:)

(Yes, I'm being being sarcastic! I'm on sevenstring.org, I like shred as much as the next guy)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Okay, here's my preface:

I don't think these are 'the best' solos of all time, they are simply 'my favorite'. (There is a difference.) Plus, I figure the rest of you guys will cover most of the shred stuff, so I'm gonna go another way. :yesway:

Dave Navarro's solo in the Jane's Addiction song 'Three Days' is one of my favorite moments in recorded music, at about the 2:57 mark in this video comp:

Then there's the solo from Pantera's 'Floods':

I'm in love with a bunch of Tim Mahoney's solos in 311, as well. I can only think of this one at the moment, but I'm sure I will post more later:

(solo is at roughly 3:01 mark)

I'll think of plenty more, I'm sure, but that's a start. :yesway:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Shawn lane's soloing in this video...

Unrivaled technical ability combined with awesome musicality, and he's improvising this shit :eek:

This one is amazing, but I honestly think Shawn's greatest moment came on Jonas Hellborg's "Temporal Analogues of Paradise" part one. After the drum solo from about 11 minutes to 13:30, Hellborg starts a little groove which Sipe starts backing up on the drums. From out of nowhere, Shawn explodes into the most amazing lead playing, for the at about the 16 minute mark he starts moving the theme around the neck before blazing into the most jubilant solo I've ever heard. The technicality is near unparalleled, and though he has added greater levels of "holy shit!" into his playing on other tracks, nothing beats the TAOP solo for making me think "This is it". The way he hits the perfect notes and phrases it all so well is unbelievable. And he is improvising it!

Unfortunately there is no video on youtube, and any search for Temporal Analogues of Paradise simply brings back random improv jams rather than the legendary TAOP recording.

Ron Jarzombek is climbing my favourite guitarists / solos list very rapidly too :D

')