Name The Best Guitar Solo Of All Time And Why.

• Thread starter edawg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speedyone

Addicted 2 Dat Shred
Reaction score
That's hilarious-- I thought you were being tongue in cheek the first time around, about the guy TRYING to be like Graham Bonnet!

This thread could easily be sub-categorized to say "What is your favorite guitar solo for each genre?"

Now for THAT question I would say for the genre of "Guy-Who-Plays-Ridiculously-Fast- and-Blurrs-the-Notes-Into-Each-Other-So-Much-That-You-Can-Barely-Tell-What-He's- Doing-Until-He-Stops-to-Do-a-Super-High-Bend-and-Then-Plays-Relatively-Slowly-For- 3 Seconds-to-Show-He-Has-Some-Taste-and-Restraint" Chris Impelliterri is the hands down winner over all!!!

:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
That's hilarious-- I thought you were being tongue in cheek the first time around, about the guy TRYING to be like Graham Bonnet!

This thread could easily be sub-categorized to say "What is your favorite guitar solo for each genre?"

Now for THAT question I would say for the genre of "Guy-Who-Plays-Ridiculously-Fast- and-Blurs-the-Notes-Into-Each-Other-So-Much-That-You-Can-Barely-Tell-What-He's- Doing-Until-He-Stops-to-Do-a-Super-High-Bend-and-Then-Plays-Relatively-Slowly-For- 3 Seconds-to-Show-He-Has-Some-Taste-and-Restraint" Chris Impelliterri is the hands down winner over all!!!

:)

He looked completely different than the other time I saw him.

Only someone with an unpronounceable last name could win that.

Necky379

Reaction score
van halen "respect the wind"

i first heard it at the end of "Twister" and i was like "holy shit". still think it's amazing. i also love eddie's tone on this track.

van halen "316"

simple but beautiful. this video has "316" and "eruption" and he cut "316"short. cant find the album version.

mastodon "joseph merrick"

im a sucker for anything with a nautical feel to it. this just makes me thing of the ocean at night.

other than these, i really like "straws pulled at random" but it's been posted before, and a bunch of almann bros. solos. this thread made me realize im a bigger fan of riffs than solos.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
When asked to name what I think is the "Best Guitar Solo of All Time" and explain why...

Randy Rhoads/Mr. Crowley.

The outro is fun, but I'm talking about the solo after the second verse/chorus. The construction is simple yet very effective, giving a good back-and-forth sense of motion and excitement. Great neoclassical vibe that causes faces to melt and heads to explode to this day. Incredible pyrotechnic phrasing that was mind-numbing then and still light-years beyond what most any guitar player can do. TRIPLE-TRACKED TO TAPE.

I can listen to that solo 10x in a row and not get tired of it. I'll have to learn it one of these days. Definitely my favorite Randy composition.

Good call sir.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score

1:50 till end but the whole song is cool like chuck norris

1:40 taps, sweeps, just an awesome song/band/ and album

1:20 just listen the the whole fuckn album if you havent heard it yet

there first three albums are my favorite albums, their newer two have a metal core feel

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
I'm really not quite sure, it's the first BTBAM song I ever heard, and just going from complete brutality to that jazzy clean section and leading up to the sweeps at the end was just an ear opener for me. I had never heard anything like it. It was a big decision between this and Mordecai and White Walls for me.

From 4:40 until the end of the song.

Comfortably Numb

I shouldn't have to explain.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2nQZPC2uTs[/media]

Not many comments, still my favourite guitarist of all time.

ittoa666

Reaction score
Suffering to the conquered is one of all time favorite death metal songs. So good.

Selkies is THE song that made me want to learn sweeps. I still can't play it.

ittoa666

Reaction score

Theres like 20 different solos in this song, but they're all great.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score

This always gets me... always makes me mimic a digitech whammy sound out of my mouth.

But Time by Pink Floyd is a great shout. +1 from me.

lurgar

Reaction score

Buckethead is my favorite guitarist of all time and this is probably my favorite solo is his.

And here is some Buckethead work that is more jazz fusion oriented. Population Override is my favorite album of all time. It just puts me in a good mood and makes me want to space out to wherever when I put it on.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Lets see greatest solos of all time?

Dream Theater - Under a Glass Moon(guitar is taking me on adventure under a glass moon)

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien(solo has great phrasing like nothing I've ever heard)

Steve Vai - Bad Horsie(ridiculous tapping licks with some heavy guitar)

Slash - November Rain(beautiful and stunning)

Chris Broderick - How the Story Ends(He's on the edge of breaking in this solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-kqJFyMHo

Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls
(magnificent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGfBGoFrO8

Deathstate

PARAPRAXIS
Reaction score

Cyanide by Burning the Masses. start at 2:00.

mmm. thordendahl. start at 1:00.

dude. the faceless.

gorod. start at 2:55 ish..soooo boner

fucking LOVE everything that scott hull does. or kat for that matter. but I mean, dude, what an intense way to blow your mind.

which is why I'm posting another scott hull solo. pure orgasmic grindcore solo beauty.
start at 2:40, but listen to the whole song anways.

')