Naming your guitars?

• Thread starter thedarkoceans
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
I`ve never had the tempatation to give my guitars a name. I think the power and recoginition all lies just in the model name. What I`m interested is in the sex of the guitar. Although I do not see my guitars like that, I always come across media, books and general talk where people say "she plays like a charm". No where do I hear about a guitar being personified as a male. What is the origin of this and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't name them, names don't cover them well enough.
Clarissa? What the fuck?
Jesus? No it's not a Carvin or a 52 Tele.
Poseidon? What are you dumb or something?

See? I just can't do it.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I do name my guitars in a way, without intending to! :lol:

My Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis signature has got the nickname "Loomis".
My Ibanez RG2228 has become "The 8"
My Ibanez RG350MZ-YE has become "The Yellow"

only my Epiphone Explorer and my 5 string Peavey bass hasn't got names, but the Explorer is sometimes referred to as "The Beast", "The Silly guitar" (actually goes for the RG2228 as well) or "The Beater" :)

I only use the full production names if I engage in conversation with someone who knows next to nothing about guitars! :lol:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Dean Baby ML - "the Dean"
Vintage V100 - "the Les Paul"
Ibanez RG350EX - "the Ibanez"
Sterling JP100 - "the Sterling"
Ibanez RG7321 - "the 7 string"
Gibson Flying V - "the Flying V"
Jim Harley acoustic - "the acoustic"

Imaginative I am not.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
RG7421XL (Black QTuner + Black covered BKP Rebel Yell, B std) = 'The XL'. Used for jazz and AAL-style stuff.

S7420BP (BKP Painkillers in Tyger, Drop C + high G) = 'La Cirujana' = The Surgeon in Spanish. Used for styles a la Faceless, Necrophagist, Periphery.

I've actually been trying to come up w a proper name for the XL. I never named previous guitars (15-20), and they're all gone. These 2 will stay w me as long as I play.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
''la Guitarra de Palo'' (The Wooden Guitar) for My Accoustic
''Susana, The Brunnete'', for my Trans Black Dean Vendetta
''Roxy'', for an Ibanez SZ 720 of a friend, but I use it very often (he named it Roxy Though)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
My friends named some of mine.

My Hamer = Excalibur (when I first got it back in 1995, I brought it to a friend's house and when I opened the case he swore he heard a chorus of angels.. :lol:)

I used to have an Ibanez JS something-or-other. (I only remember that it was white, and that I bought it on Ebay from none other than Herc Fede.. I sold it a few years later..) One of my friends who was obsessed with pro wrestling named it "Big Sexy", after Kevin Nash.

A week or two later, he dubbed my Jackson Rhodes "Medium Sexy", after Scott Hall.

I haven't named any of my own, though..

Dooky

Reaction score
I've never been one to name my guitars. I just say "the black jackson" or "the white les paul."

I do the exact same thing (colour and brand).
Back in the day I tried giving some of my guitars names - but it didn't last. Felt kinda stupid referring to them by a name.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I do the exact same thing (colour and brand).
Back in the day I tried giving some of my guitars names - but it didn't last. Felt kinda stupid referring to them by a name.

Just be thankful you felt stupid doing it. There are a lot of folks out there who don't! That is where our pity should go :lol:

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I'm far from being cool enough to name my guitars and pull it off by telling people, "this one's Aunt Jemima, she's so sweet and sticky". It was always cool blues players that named things, I'm lame as shit and don't fuck around.

*Disclaimer: none of my guitars are sticky, I practice proper hygiene*

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a massive Agile Baritone guitar I called "The Beast", "The Dragon", or "The Monster".
It had TONE. My god. But yeah, I sadly ended up getting rid of it to pay bills!

I also had a telecaster named Clyde Mcfunniguns.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
If I was to name my guitar something, it would be "bondage girl".
It's purple, edged with gaffa tape (don't ask why, i was bored :lol:), a reference to a video game and feeds back whenever another guitar plays nearby.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I name most of them like my jazz box is "Cherry" casue it is a stripper anme and my dad says I date girls with stripper names. but I usaly call them by brand and model or by who made it like my Joecaster.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
My first guitar, an Ibanez RG320FM, actually has a name. Joana (Joanna in English, pronounced almost the same way). Don't ask me why.

')