Narrowed my choices for my custom 8 to Sherman, Oni, or Artinger

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
I've been researching luthiers to build my custom 8 for a few months now, and I've cut it down to Sherman (I love what I've seen, but he hasn't replied to 2 emails yet), Oni (He's replied, but is sick, so we haven't discussed details yet), and today I received a very nice reply with a comparable price quote from Matt Artinger, who is building Chris Letchford's new 8. Thanks for posting that, Chris- that's how I found him.
I don't know if Sherman might be too busy, as I read another post where someone said he was building them 5 guitars (5?!! WTF do you do for a living?) but as I am just a zookeeper with 3 kids, this isn't something immediate anyway. I'm tring to get a good idea of what I'll need so I have the total by the time it's done (but it'll be easier in a few months when support payments to the 1st wife end- YEAH!) But I have a real crush on the 1 PUP burst 8 Mike's holding in the pic.

I also like what I've seen from Dan and his ONIs, but I need more info. He sent me a reply to my inquiry that he currently has the flu and will get me a detailed response soon. I like the unique look, but I don't know about the limitation of choices. Not that I need a lot, but it's nice to know when you're making this type of investment. I also don't know about shipping to the US, but I'm sure he'll cover that when I hear back from him.

Right now I would say the frontrunner is Artinger. Matt sent me a very friendly email with a reasonable idea for a starting price and all the details of the time frame involved. When I say reasonable, it wasn't the cheapest, but for the quality of work from what I've seen it certainly was fair, and not as high as some other reputable luthiers whose work may not be lesser, but certainly isn't better. I also like the fact that he builds a variety of styles. It seems some extended range builders kind of have a niche. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but maybe the fact that I listen to, enjoy and play a wide variety of music (everything from jazz to djent to Buckethead) makes that more appealing. It also doesn't hurt that a musician who I respect like Chris has him building for him and I can watch the progress here.

These are just the thoughts I'm having on the matter now. I thought I'd put it here for anyone who might find it interestin, and I figured you guys would have some comments on things I hadn't thought of or considered that would be interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Mike SHerman is really busy and he might reply you as soon as he can keep his hands free of guitars/tools or boobs.
Dan is a master, and his "horizon" is the broadest. He delivers amazing work with orginality ,art and function. If you want something very special and cut to your needs ,Dan is the man. Unconventional form, material and very honest customer service is his strengths.
I dunno anything about Artingers accept what i saw here around so no comments!
Cheers!

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
I think that the quality guys are all busy right now - seems like a waiting list across the board. I suggest you decide who's style you like the most, make sure you are ready/serious/have the money (don't mean to offend here, just saying it like it is), and pick and stick.

I have a Sherman on order. Very much looking forward to it. Oni is different, and I'm considering one as well.

for what it's worth...

jsousa

Reaction score
U need to consider Bernie Rico jr

U need to consider Bernie Rico jr

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
Thanks Daemon, that's what I kind of thought and why I haven't picked one yet.

No offense taken, Ozone-that's why I was posting, because I am serious and want to make an informed decision and have the funds saved in total without starving my kids to do it.

And I haven't heard of Bernie Rico until now, but I will check him out, thanks.:yesway:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've been researching luthiers to build my custom 8 for a few months now, and I've cut it down to Sherman (I love what I've seen, but he hasn't replied to 2 emails yet), Oni (He's replied, but is sick, so we haven't discussed details yet), and today I received a very nice reply with a comparable price quote from Matt Artinger, who is building Chris Letchford's new 8. Thanks for posting that, Chris- that's how I found him.
I don't know if Sherman might be too busy, as I read another post where someone said he was building them 5 guitars (5?!! WTF do you do for a living?) but as I am just a zookeeper with 3 kids, this isn't something immediate anyway. I'm tring to get a good idea of what I'll need so I have the total by the time it's done (but it'll be easier in a few months when support payments to the 1st wife end- YEAH!) But I have a real crush on the 1 PUP burst 8 Mike's holding in the pic.

I also like what I've seen from Dan and his ONIs, but I need more info. He sent me a reply to my inquiry that he currently has the flu and will get me a detailed response soon. I like the unique look, but I don't know about the limitation of choices. Not that I need a lot, but it's nice to know when you're making this type of investment. I also don't know about shipping to the US, but I'm sure he'll cover that when I hear back from him.

Right now I would say the frontrunner is Artinger. Matt sent me a very friendly email with a reasonable idea for a starting price and all the details of the time frame involved. When I say reasonable, it wasn't the cheapest, but for the quality of work from what I've seen it certainly was fair, and not as high as some other reputable luthiers whose work may not be lesser, but certainly isn't better. I also like the fact that he builds a variety of styles. It seems some extended range builders kind of have a niche. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but maybe the fact that I listen to, enjoy and play a wide variety of music (everything from jazz to djent to Buckethead) makes that more appealing. It also doesn't hurt that a musician who I respect like Chris has him building for him and I can watch the progress here.

These are just the thoughts I'm having on the matter now. I thought I'd put it here for anyone who might find it interestin, and I figured you guys would have some comments on things I hadn't thought of or considered that would be interesting.

Check out Chris Stambaugh, he's a local builder around my area (New England) and does some stellar work.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/55441-stambaugh-8-string.html#post1011447

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Sherman is not really accepting any more orders right now, thus why you haven't heard from him as he is overloaded and working to get his backlog down. He can build anything, and he's actually kind of frustrated that all anyone wants from him these days are flametop RGs.

Oni does some very unique, organic designs with a look all their own. If you like the look of them (and I do!) you won't get that anywhere else.

I have no experience with Artinger, and Letchford is in fact going to be getting his second Sherman for use as a backup to his main on tour anyways, so I don't know how much we'll be seeing that one onstage.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
It seems that eelblack2's thirst for RGs is the cause for the snowballing of late. :lol:

I would urge to your check out the aforementioned luthiers. Roter seems devoted to creating absolutely anything that you have in mind, no matter how wild or unconventional, which can be a blessing (if you know that what you have in mind will be great) or an absolute curse (if you're inexperienced when it comes to going beyond the normal or accepted). Hufschmid isn't so diverse, but his work seems absolutely stellar nonetheless, especially as far as natural finishes that really accentuate the wood are concerned.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Rico Jr's build times are currently at 3 months. He's very busy churning out tons of guitars, but runs a very efficient operation which is why there aren't 2-3 year wait times. He's been doing this for 20+ years and is extremely reliable.

I can't recommend him enough. He's who I count on for my customs, but a few of the other builders mentioned make a very nice product as well especially Oni.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Rico Jr's build times are currently at 3 months. He's very busy churning out tons of guitars, but runs a very efficient operation which is why there aren't 2-3 year wait times. He's been doing this for 20+ years and is extremely reliable.

I can't recommend him enough. He's who I count on for my customs, but a few of the other builders mentioned make a very nice product as well especially Oni.

As an aside...

Nick, how does the average customer go about ordering a BRJ custom guitar? Do we speak to a dealer (you :wub:) regarding our specs etc, or do we have to contact the company directly?

Scarpie

Reaction score
oni's designs just glow in my eyes. so unique and appealing to me. well and many others apparently haha

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As an aside...

Nick, how does the average customer go about ordering a BRJ custom guitar? Do we speak to a dealer (you :wub:) regarding our specs etc, or do we have to contact the company directly?

You'd go through someone like me to inquire about his handmades. He's only going direct on his bolt-ons and hyrbrid (import) models :)

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
YOU!!!!!!
but it's ok since you graceously provide
a decent amount of sherm pronz.

so i'll hold off on joining the lee H8 group....

for now.

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
Just got a nice email from Mike Sherman and he's going to give me a call, so that sounds very promising. Funny how you can get an idea of what you think a person will be like from an email. Mike took the time to comment on animals since I mentioned I'm a zookeeper and was very personable, as was Matt Artinger. Good to know there are still some nice people who can be friendly running a business in this day and age. That goes a long way with me. And thanks again for all the replies so far, I'm looking at all the guys you mention.:metal:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
:yesway::yesway: for Mike Sherman. Awesome guy, incredible luthier, and if you treat him well and with respect he will treat you very well.