Narrowing down my first 7 string. Looking for feedback

causeunknown

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first 7 string. I've only ever owned two guitars (both Ibanez. I've been playing a Ibanez Prestige RG652AHMFX for the last 4 years I think), so I wouldn't consider myself an expert on gear. I thought i'd come here and ask for some feedback on the guitars i'm considering. The only specific requirement of mine is that it's a fixed bridge and that's upwards of ~$2,000. Something capable of a drop A tuning is also ideal. Based on this criteria i've narrowed it down to these choices so far-
Not sure if this is the best place to post, but i'm really interested in picking up something and couldn't think of a better place to get some help in making the choice. I know a lot of it is personal preference, but i'd like to try to make an informed decision as someone who just doesn't have a lot of experience with gear. I really appreciate your consideration. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
They will all do the job. They all are good price for a brand new guitar though the Ibanez's seem a bit high in price it's because of the wood and features.
- I have to say it though, the obligatory SSo_Org mantra. I'd rather get a used Ibanez Prestige : ) . Seriously, you can save a lot of money that way and get an instrument that is on or above the level of some of those you listed.
- If I had to pick on of the above guitar you listed I like the Rgr752AHBF the best of those listed.
- To save money and have a proven bad ass workhorse guitar maybe consider an Rg7621. Don't worry that they're so old. If you find the right one it will be better with age. You can customize it and make it perfect. Just make sure you have a return option if you don't like it. Here's some examples. As long as there's nothing wrong with them they proabably play and sound just as good.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...MIsO6u2Ju35wIVDyCtBh3bHwEpEAQYBSABEgK0v_D_BwE

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...MIsO6u2Ju35wIVDyCtBh3bHwEpEAQYASABEgKV2_D_BwE

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
In general, most of the Jackson pro series guitars I've played have always been very underwhelming. I wouldn't take the chance unless you can buy from a store with a great return policy.

i haven't played an Axion Label, but I've played a bunch of Iron Label's and they have all been worse than the standard series instruments from Ibanez. Premium's can even be hit or miss. Since the Axion Label is in-between the Premium and Iron Label 'tiers' I'd make sure to buy from a store with a good return policy.

Haven't played the Schecter Merrow MKIII but the other MK I and II were great.

Haven't played either of those Ibanez Prestige instruments but having played other Prestige RG 7-strings its going to be a great guitar. I'd take the ibanez Prestige RGR5227MFX over the RGR752AHBF though, mainly because I prefer the pickups and stainless frets (and the finish) on the RGR5227MFX.

Unless you are really interested in the Jackson or Axion Label I'd say pass on those. From there its more about spec and feel. Odds are, the best 'built' instrument will be the Ibanez RGR5227MFX. I prefer 25.5" scale 7's so I'd grab the RGR5227MFX if I were in your situation. However, if you think you'd want the longer scale length to give you a little more tension on the low string then the Schecter is a great guitar.

causeunknown

Reaction score
used Ibanez Prestige

that's a good idea. i'll definitely check around on the used market.

In general, most of the Jackson pro series guitars I've played have always been very underwhelming

that's a shame. I've never played one, but I really liked the look and specs of these new Dinky Moderns. I don't think these ship for a few months, so if i'm still in the market by then i'll probably wait for more reviews before making my choice.

I'd take the ibanez Prestige RGR5227MFX over the RGR752AHBF though, mainly because I prefer the pickups and stainless frets (and the finish) on the RGR5227MFX.

yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards the MFX. I think I would have preferred fishman's, but definitely can't complain about bare knuckle's. I did get a chance to play the KM3 and I liked it, but probably not nearly as much as my Ibanez. I guess the only other thing I hadn't really considered till now was doing a custom Kisel or something similar, but i'm honestly a little off put with all the mixed reviews and publicity they've received recently. I could really dig an Aries with a reverse headstock.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RG1527 (Prestige) and a Merrow MKiii Artist and I much prefer the Schecter.

Stainless frets, 26.5" scale, High Mass bridge and Fishman pickups.

That being said the 1527 is a fantastic guitar - its just that the stock pickups are really pretty lousy and I like to change tunings and that is a real PITA with a locking Trem.

I DO like the specs on the RGR5227 tho and that would be a beast of a guitar.

mbardu

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RG1527 (Prestige) and a Merrow MKiii Artist and I much prefer the Schecter.

Stainless frets, 26.5" scale, High Mass bridge and Fishman pickups.

I'll just comment on this as well, just to agree and add to your point.

The "just get used Ibanez prestige" meme is strong here and there's a lot of history behind it. And although that was the go-to answer 15 years ago.... today something like a mid/high-end import Shecter is easily as good or better a buy than those typical RG1527s 80% of the time.

More people should play those recent (2015/2016 and newer especially) Schecters. They hit way above what their price point would indicate...plus, compared to Ibanez, their finish doesn't peel just by being looked at, the neck stays aligned, the frets don't rust, you name it. Or else get a high end Ibanez premium and save some money in exchange for better frets and finish :lol: . Seriously their QC has not been as bad as some Prestige in the 2016/2019 era.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
<-- What it says under my name. Seriously, I can't stress it enough! I know it's a bit of a joke around SSO, but every joke has some truth to it. I'd try looking for a used RG752. I'd suggest the RG1527, but you said a fixed bridge is a requirement.

Now if you are set on the guitars listed, I'd go with the RGR752. I think they are perfect for the price and if you are only playing Drop A, the extra scale length is not worth it on the other choices. Since you have a healthy budget, I'd stay away from the Ibanez Axion Label and the Jackson Pro. Both of those QC are very questionable, especially for the price. Once you go Made in Japan prestige, the Indo made Ibanez' play like crap. The Schecter is definitely a decent choice, but if given the choice between that and an Ibanez Prestige, I'd go with the Prestige any day.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

bastardbullet

Reaction score
I own a rga71al and i must say it’s a much better built instrument compared to the iron label line specimens i’ve tried so far. All my schecter’s are 26.5” 7 stringers, so i had some suspicions about going back to 25.5” after 10 years but it wasn’t a big deal at all. Tuned it down to drop F# with a custom set of 12-80’s and it holds up really well. The 7th string slot on the nut needs a little work to fit in which i’m totally fine with.

The only downside is, body wood seems so vulnerable even against the simple impacts & frictions. A couple days ago i needed to open the main electronics cavity but the plastic cover was so tight-fitted. Eventually, the cover corner caused a 2mm deep chipping around the upper edge so i had to sand it down and repaint the area. Matching the body color was also a torment.

Maybe it’s not a big issue to some, but i really didn’t expect to struggle with such a stupid thing on a $1k+ paid instrument. I still love every detail about it but so effin disappointed with this nyatoh thing.

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
Is there some reason the C-7 SLS Elite won't work? It has a 26.5" scale length, two finish options, options for both Hipshot (linked below) or Floyd, stainless frets, good pickups (Fishman's), etc. And the price is good. I have the Floyd version and it's great. My only beef is it's super-strat shape.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C7SLSEltAFB--schecter-c-7-sls-elite-antique-fade-burst

Rev.

I concur. I own one. Over the past 15 years, I've owned a ton of 7 strings. Ibanez, Mayones, Ernie Ball...

My Schecter Sls Elite is the best I've played. Well worth the $1400, new. But looking on reverb, they have some for much less. They come packed with features. Locking tuners, Fishman electronics, Hipshot bridge, Neck through, compound radius, Compensated nut. And it played well out of the box.

The SS frets are wonderful. I have acidic sweat so I kill hardware, strings, AND frets. These have held up. One year almost and no polishing. And I play this guitar every night.

Also, I can never own another guitar without the spoke wheel truss rod. Makes it very easy. The Fishman fluence pickup....I'm going to get shit for this...I dont love. But most people do! It's just not my sound. I like Emg.

The Evil Twin Elite is also a great guitar. Same features, different neck. The Merrow is also a good choice,though. Again, same features. Different ne k and finishes.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first 7 string. I've only ever owned two guitars (both Ibanez. I've been playing a Ibanez Prestige RG652AHMFX for the last 4 years I think), so I wouldn't consider myself an expert on gear. I thought i'd come here and ask for some feedback on the guitars i'm considering. The only specific requirement of mine is that it's a fixed bridge and that's upwards of ~$2,000.

Have you considered getting a used Kiesel? They don't pop up as often, but you do see 27" scales every now and then. You'd definitely be saying some money going that route as well.

causeunknown

Reaction score
Is there some reason the C-7 SLS Elite won't work? It has a 26.5" scale length, two finish options, options for both Hipshot (linked below) or Floyd, stainless frets, good pickups (Fishman's), etc. And the price is good. I have the Floyd version and it's great. My only beef is it's super-strat shape.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C7SLSEltAFB--schecter-c-7-sls-elite-antique-fade-burst

Rev.

i have no idea how this guitar didn't pick up on my radar. you are absolutely right that it has literally everything i'm looking for. i don't love the finish, personally, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

i'm definitely going to heavily consider this. thanks for pointing this out to me!

causeunknown

Reaction score
Have you considered getting a used Kiesel? They don't pop up as often, but you do see 27" scales every now and then. You'd definitely be saying some money going that route as well.

i've considered kiesel, but with all the mixed reviews it's definitely been a tough call. i'm not ruling it out, but i'm somewhat hesitant TBH.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Schecter also has the Mach 7 which is new this year I believe. Floyd, Hipshot, and evertune.

Aaron

Reaction score
In general, most of the Jackson pro series guitars I've played have always been very underwhelming. I wouldn't take the chance unless you can buy from a store with a great return policy.

i haven't played an Axion Label, but I've played a bunch of Iron Label's and they have all been worse than the standard series instruments from Ibanez. Premium's can even be hit or miss. Since the Axion Label is in-between the Premium and Iron Label 'tiers' I'd make sure to buy from a store with a good return policy.

Haven't played the Schecter Merrow MKIII but the other MK I and II were great.

Haven't played either of those Ibanez Prestige instruments but having played other Prestige RG 7-strings its going to be a great guitar. I'd take the ibanez Prestige RGR5227MFX over the RGR752AHBF though, mainly because I prefer the pickups and stainless frets (and the finish) on the RGR5227MFX.

Unless you are really interested in the Jackson or Axion Label I'd say pass on those. From there its more about spec and feel. Odds are, the best 'built' instrument will be the Ibanez RGR5227MFX. I prefer 25.5" scale 7's so I'd grab the RGR5227MFX if I were in your situation. However, if you think you'd want the longer scale length to give you a little more tension on the low string then the Schecter is a great guitar.

Ive played a bunch of iron labels and own 2. Ive heard that some can be pure shit. I guess I've gotten lucky with mine, they play just a good as my UV7BK and LACS. I really love the necks on them as well. I did play an RGD iron label 7 at GC which felt like pure garbage, same with the axion label, the neck had a rough feel to it. Im gonna order the RGIXL7 next month. Really hope it doesn't suck.

causeunknown

Reaction score
Schecter also has the Mach 7 which is new this year I believe. Floyd, Hipshot, and evertune.

i don't love the look, but it does have solid hardware. i'm not familiar with lungren pickups TBH. i've been interested in Fishman for a while. They seem to be very hot and i'd love to own a guitar with some Modern's. i'll definitely check this out.