Nasty Computer Interference >.<

• Thread starter otop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

otop

Reaction score
I have been getting some horrible computer interference with the Axe FX on higher gain patches. This seems like a common problem, although it is extremely bad in my case.

Its not caused by my monitor (I have a good LCD)

It could be caused by a few things..
1. My computer is directly under my recording rig.
2. The computer is custom build with a fast overclock processor.
3. Some guitar cables come in close contact with computer cables.
4. My rig is tied to the same outlet that the computer is (The rig is powered my a separate conditioner)
5. Guitar internals are not grounded/shielded properly.
6. Computer is not grounded correctly.

Im looking for any type of advice to get rid of this annoying interference..(It sounds like high pitch scratchy static)

Has anyone else had bad case like this? If so what did you do to fix it?

***I have bareknuckle cold sweats, but my stock middle pickup is still there and when I switch to it (Which I never do) it has the far more interference than the neck and bridge pickup. Could this be connected? And if so can I just detach the stock pickup's leads and completely disconnect it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start with the easiest solution and work your way up.

Make sure your guitar is properly shielded, with no cold solder joints, and proper grounds.
Make sure all your cables are shielded properly and the connectors have good solder points.
Etc. Etc.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I have been getting some horrible computer interference with the Axe FX on higher gain patches. This seems like a common problem, although it is extremely bad in my case.

***I have bareknuckle cold sweats, but my stock middle pickup is still there and when I switch to it (Which I never do) it has the far more interference than the neck and bridge pickup. Could this be connected? And if so can I just detach the stock pickup's leads and completely disconnect it.

Like max said, if one of the pickups is worse than the others, it is probably a bad solder joint.

krsp

Reaction score
Of course, as above, check all the simple stuff first.

Take a look at the resources your computer is using. I can almost guarantee that the port the AXEFX is using is a shared IRQ with something else. Almost always the USB bus is sharing an IRQ with a WiFi card or networking card. The middle pickup you talk about might be more noisey if it is single coil and the others are humbuckers. Is that the case? Single coils are susceptable to noise from practically everywhere! Make sure the AXEFX is hooked to USB ALONE (and not through any USB hub, powered or otherwise). If you still get the distortion noise, try disabling the network.

Make sure all of the drivers and all of that are up to date too. If you still have the noise after all that...uhhhh, Im out!

')