Nazgul's 6 String Cousin?

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Maybe I suck at googling today, but is there a 6 string pickup that the Nazgul is based on? I'm really digging the demos I've heard but I need a sixer for an RG that I think I might keep passive.
Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petie

Reaction score
Either the Distortion or Black Winter will get you in the ballpark but there are 7-string versions of each (Black Winter 7-string is Custom Shop) and they all have their own personalities. The Black Winter would get you closer to the Nazgul's particular brand of evil, but the Custom Shop could always make you a 6-string Nazgul.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I mean this in no way to be disrespectful, but as a seven string player who has seen many pickups be offered on the 6 string market that we have never been able to get all I can say is:

"nah nah nah nah nah nah you can't have one"

I'm sure the custom shop can sort you out though, if you're willing to fork out the extra :)

feraledge

Reaction score
Unfortunately I feel like I'm already taking a leap of faith with going passive. A custom shop is a gamble. I'm happy to get in the ball park. I'll give the Black Winter a shot.

feraledge

Reaction score
Ordered the black winter this morning. Will be here in a couple of days. Too bad it won't go in until this RG refinish is done. Time to get to work on that one.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The change in dimensions alone is usually significant enough to make exactly replicating a 6 string pickup in 7 string form ridiculously hard and usually same-name pickups across different numbers of strings aim to have stuff in common, key characteristics. This doesn't mean the characteristics they've chosen (or managed) to carry over are the ones you like in your pickup and want in a different format and you may as much luck trying something with a different name that sounds as appealing.

Sorry for the wordy, indirect response but it is true. To that end I would say try the Duncan Distortion based about what I know of either pickup, you may find it draws just as many parallels to the Nazgul 7 as it does the Distortion 7.

Petie

Reaction score
Ordered the black winter this morning. Will be here in a couple of days. Too bad it won't go in until this RG refinish is done. Time to get to work on that one.

Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm thinking of putting a set in my RG550.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score

I do enjoy my Black Winter set. They are so grim and frostbitten, much more aggressive than any other pickups I have. I am going to get a 7 string set from the custom shop. Complements the mahogany body in my Phoenix-1000 very nicely. I would however, not use them in a guitar that was already bright. Not being an Ibanez guy, I have no idea what RGs are like or what wood they use.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The SH-6? That thing is super trebly to my ears. I have one in a 6 string Jackson Kelly. It's got some SERIOUS bite to it. I may try rolling down the highs some, but that is a BRIGHT BRIGHT pickup from my experiences. That what you're looking for?

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
Any update on this? How did the black winters sound? Im about to get a new Agile 6er and im gonna pull the emgs for somenpassives but I dont know what yet. I have a nazgul in my 7 and love it so I am curious

Petie

Reaction score
Any update on this? How did the black winters sound? Im about to get a new Agile 6er and im gonna pull the emgs for somenpassives but I dont know what yet. I have a nazgul in my 7 and love it so I am curious

Well if you're interested in a 6-string Nazgul, Pegasus or Sentient in your guitar you May not have to wait too much longer...

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
I have had a Black Winter in the bridge of my prestige RG1451 (basswood body) for about 6 months now, I was a little skeptical at first, but I quickly grew to really dig it. If you're coming from actives I think the BW wake for a smooth transition, it's plenty hot and maintains the super saturated feel and sound at all heights, it has tight low-mids and a very lively presence, I've found it to be a little "fizzy" in the top end, even more so if you don't dig in with your picking hand, but apart form that, I can't fault it for high gain metal stuff.

Petie

Reaction score
Ooo so cryptic! I know he's trying to tell us something but I just can't put my finger on it...

We're through the looking glass here, people.

tumblr_mmok1cYGoT1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
lemme know how you like the BW, man - I love the set in my MIJ LP

ddk

Reaction score
The Black Winters are great, but don't sound much like the Nazgul, at least to my ears. I have a few of each. The BWs seem much brighter and hotter. I find myself having to back off the gain when I play the BWs, and cranking it up with the Nazgul.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if the Black Winter didn't give you what you want. It's an amazing and versatile pickup.

danesp

Reaction score
Taking a shot in the dark here and guessing SD are bringing out a Nazgul 6 string version?

Latest posts

')