NBD: Any One-Piece fans? [Valley Arts Content]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Those who have been surprisingly paying attention to my posts the past year might know I'm on a bit of a Valley Arts kick, after coming into possession of one for a bit that was one of the best guitars I've played. I've been looking around now for the right one from the mid-late 80s, but it's tough -- they're rare, and they're pricey, and they're often overseas.

So my surprise when this bass popped up in Japan. #0066, so super early, early enough that the much loathed (but actually totally fine) Valley Arts headstock shape hadn't been developed yet, and it sports a more traditional Fender-style. Not being much of a bass player, I wasn't looking to spend a lot on it, though being super early in their build history and having obviously crazy woods did have me watching it, and over the past month I watched the price fall until finally it was sort of within reach. Not too much to say about it as I just don't have the experience to talk pros/cons of basses, but woods like these, where the entire bass body is a single piece of quilt maple, are basically a thing of the past:

20240817_183132.jpg

20240817_183307.jpg

20240817_183331.jpg

20240817_183359.jpg

If anyone knows what sort of bridge that is, I'd be curious to know. I'd like to get a new bridge and also replace the cavity cover that looks like a replacement. And maybe a brass nut, though I like the sound of it now played acoustically.

The weird thing, which sadly realizing now I didn't take a photo of, is that the headstock tilts forwards. I've basically never seen a design like that on any stringed instrument. Not sure if it has bent with age? I haven't seen that either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Babicz bridge looks inspired by yours
bab.jpg

I'm not sure if they existed back then, and maybe yours is the Prometheus of the modern design?

Stunning bass, though. It's like Spector meets Charvel. Were one-piece figured bodies Valley Arts' "thing" back in the day, or are you just picking ones with the one-piece bodies?
but woods like these, where the entire bass body is a single piece of quilt maple, are basically a thing of the past:
Nowadays, I reckon a piece like that would be used as a veneer for a bunch of guitars getting pumped out of cortek 😅

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, that thing is figured af! I love seeing one piece quilted or flamed bodies.

I also thought it was a Babicz bridge but this probably pre-dates that by a lot. Looks like old school Schaller tuners.

Interesting that there's screws where string retainers might have been but it has a bar... I wonder what was original, the bar or retainers?

Have you opened the cavity? I'm curious if it's active electronics... I'd guess EMG but it could be something else. Or it's all passive.

I zoomed in and see the EMG logos now.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Babicz bridge looks inspired by yours
View attachment 148474
I'm not sure if they existed back then, and maybe yours is the Prometheus of the modern design?
Different but very close aesthetically. If I can get it without the logo somehow I'd consider it as a replacement. The one thing I don't know about the current one is if it's brass. Some of the wear on it and on the knobs has that green oxidation that brass tends to get. I assume the Babicz and most bridges these days aren't brass, as that was more of the 70s/80s fad.

Weirdly enough I just bought a Babicz for a strat last week to try out. Sadly the 6 holes don't align so I have to take it to the shop.

Stunning bass, though. It's like Spector meets Charvel. Were one-piece figured bodies Valley Arts' "thing" back in the day, or are you just picking ones with the one-piece bodies?
Yea, a lot of the old Valley Arts strats, the custom pros, were one piece bodies, then moved into two piece bodies, and then when the shop burned down and they were bought by Samick/Gibson, they moved more into tops on mahogany or ash bodies. But I like the full maple sound and I really like when the figur wraps around the contours of the body. Shame it's basically unheard of these days.

Nowadays, I reckon a piece like that would be used as a veneer for a bunch of guitars getting pumped out of cortek 😅

Ha, no doubt. Still I feel like, it's maple, not rosewood. We should probably be able to manage getting some one-piece bodies still these days. I asked Warmoth, who originally made a lot of the VA bodies, and they don't offer it anymore. I don't understand why -- I mean, offer it, and just slap a silly price tag on it.... I might pay it. I asked the same of Tom Anderson, who in the late 80s made a lot of full quilt maple body guitars, and they won't do it either, and won't use a billet you send in. Sucks.

Interesting that there's screws where string retainers might have been but it has a bar... I wonder what was original, the bar or retainers?

Yea, I wonder if somehow the headstock bent forward and the bar was added out of necessity at that point. Like I said, I hadn't heard of that happening, but I'll add a pic of it because it's pretty extreme really.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
View attachment 148483

The tip of the headstock is higher than the fretboard
My first thought is to follow the grain pattern and see if right at the headstock they are cut off abruptly or if the grain bends. If thats obvious, just post some dumb meme and ignore or whatever.

')