NBD... but I might send it back! (no pics yet)

• Thread starter lava
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Got my new Ibanez SR500 bass on Friday, took it home. I love it, it plays great and sounds totally awesome. And it's totally beautiful. But... it has some finishing flaws:

- There is some thick stain overspill on the fretboard in a few places, including a big lump of it at the end of the neck near the pickups
- Three of the abalone inlays on the fretboard have small voids in them (17th, 21st and 24the frets)
- There is a tiny scratch in the finish up next to the truss rod cover
- The nut is scratched up
- I can't tell exactly what it is, but the edge of the fretboard towards the nut has a weird fuzziness, looks like fuzz stuck in the finish or something.

So, none of this makes the bass unplayable at all, but it does bug me. I'm not sure if I'm being really picky here or not. I didn't expect this thing to be as well made as my Prestige RGA121, but I still wasn't expecting these flaws. If you guys tell me that this is what I can expect from Ibanez at this price and that any given SR500 might have these flaws, then I'll go ahead and keep the bass and just have a tech fix it all when I take it in for a setup, it probably wouldn't be expensive. However, if this is the exception, I think I will send it back for a replacement. I hesitate to post any pics because this may not be the "final" bass!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abstract

Reaction score
I've never owned an Ibby, but in the store I've played a wide range of their stuff. The QC has been consistently passable (a blip in the finish here, a bad fret there) but never like what you described. Of course all the prestige axes I've played are spotless. My vote: Send it back and get what you paid for.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
well, i received a LAG with the same kind of problem that you mentioned...send it back, that's not a good QC and you shouldn't feel like you didn't get what you paid for.

i am sure they will realise that in the shop and obliged.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was already leaning toward sending it back and this just reinforces it. I bought it from Sweetwater so I can just say the word and they'll exchange it. I'm a longtime customer there so I'm hoping they will go to the effort to actually scope out the most flawless one they have. Man, I hate to send it back because I am having so much fun playing it, but it will be worth it. I will probably delay my final decision until after the all-knowing oracle of Ibanez wisdom (Max) posts in this thread sometime bright and early tomorrow morning. :bowdown:

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
well, if you enjoy playing it that much, than i am sure you will get a much greater feeling when you get one which is actually flawless...good luck

ps : no chance of a pic or 2?

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
well, if you enjoy playing it that much, than i am sure you will get a much greater feeling when you get one which is actually flawless...good luck

ps : no chance of a pic or 2?

Okay, here ya go! Not the greatest, but it'll do until the official NBD post.

bass_closeup.jpg

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Update: My salesman at Sweetwater passed my email containing pics and description of the bass' flaws on to the guitar tech there. He replied and said that this is pretty typical of Ibanez instruments at this price point. I personally don't believe that's true. I'm sure it happens frequently, but it has to be the exception and most of the instruments are probably free of these kinds of flaws. Right? I am going to stick to my guns here and demand a shipping label and an inspection of the replacement if they don't offer it. Stay tuned.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a lemon man, send it back and have them either replace it or give you a cash refund. I haven't seen too many flawed SR500s (or SR basses in general), but it happens.

The whole "typical at this price range" thing is malarkey. It sounds more like they didn't do a thorough inspection on it, and to save face they're saying it's because it's a cheaper bass, and if you want something without flaws you'll need to spend more cash. Don't fall for it.

They sent you a flawed product, it's their job to replace it, and then send it back to Ibanez so Ibby can scuttle it.

Sorry you got a bad one man, that shouldn't have left the store. :(

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Thanks Max! I feel like I owe you a couple of six-packs at this point. :lol:

If you're ever in the SF Bay Area...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, don't mention it man. If you ever find yourself over in Chicagoland, we'll get some beers at Fire Side. :cheers:

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
Update 2: My Sweetwater salesman gave me a call, they're making everything right. Paying for shipping, inspecting their stock for the best one to send me as a replacement, etc. Yay.

giantchris

Reaction score
I'd probably get a % refund and keep it. Every bass is just a little different and if you don't mind the cosmetic differences it sounds like you really like that one. I'm one of those people that names all my instruments though :eek:

And the Fire Side has great beer but why build a bar across the street from a haunted cemetary?

')