NBD Redsub Coliseum 5 string blue burl burst

• Thread starter Corporial Bodies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys thought I post my first bass.

Now to be honest I wasn't expecting much, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Straight out the box the intonation was spot on and the action was great for me, just how I like it to be, however there were a few issues. The frets had what I can only describe as corrosion on them and the body and head stock had wax marks on the finish. The finish on the neck isn't to great, and is a little ruff towards body, but that's just being picky, it's still perfectly fine to play and the neck is quite a nice shape and slim. The tuners and very cheap but the whole instrument stays in tune fine so can't complain really.
Once I polished the frets up with my dremel, it played awesome. Haven't had chance to plugin yet, but gonna upgrade the pickups and pre amp anyways.
Over all I'm impressed, stays nicely in tune at drop G and plays well

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Hi guys thought I post my first bass.

Now to be honest I wasn't expecting much, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Straight out the box the intonation was spot on and the action was great for me, just how I like it to be, however there were a few issues. The frets had what I can only describe as corrosion on them and the body and head stock had wax marks on the finish. The finish on the neck isn't to great, and is a little ruff towards body, but that's just being picky, it's still perfectly fine to play and the neck is quite a nice shape and slim. The tuners and very cheap but the whole instrument stays in tune fine so can't complain really.
Once I polished the frets up with my dremel, it played awesome. Haven't had chance to plugin yet, but gonna upgrade the pickups and pre amp anyways.
Over all I'm impressed, stays nicely in tune at drop G and plays well

my Coliesum 6 had the exact same issues as yours. But i love mine too. Super straight neck out the box.
plays great

ikarus

Reaction score
Nice. Mine was complete carbage and i had to send it back. It was from an earlier batch though...

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ahh ok bud, I should be getting one next week if everything goes to plan, will report back when installed.

Omzig

Reaction score
I just got one of these as b-stock impuse buy with all the same issues as your (neck was listed as "Fake" roasted maple,but i think it's real roasted looking at the neck screw holes) strange that it was just £148 delivered when they had ones with split headstocks at £199...gave it a good clean up and a polish and its pretty good, needs a few dead/high spots sorting on the G at 12-14th, but apart from that it's great,if i was being OTT id say the G string saddle is about 0.75mm out of space ;) worst thing is as you said are the tuners ,mine tune up ok but have some nasty slack if you need to bring them down....might get a set from ali for about £20 or i might just drop it back onsale now ive decided to keep my B-quad bass.

Omzig

Reaction score
wouldnt those just be the same tuners that are on there now?

Nope the wilko/guyker open backed ones even at £20 a set from ali are way better than the shitty ones on these redsubs

NEW-wilkinson-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Machine-Heads-Tuners-Guitar-Tuning-Pegs-Open-Gear-WJB-750-Black.jpg

lewis

Reaction score
Nope the wilko/guyker open backed ones even at £20 a set from ali are way better than the shitty ones on these redsubs

NEW-wilkinson-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Machine-Heads-Tuners-Guitar-Tuning-Pegs-Open-Gear-WJB-750-Black.jpg

The Guyker ones of these (Wilko) in chrome I bought from Aliexpress are INFINITELY better on my bass than the stock tuners so well said.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reaction score
I use those kind of PCB green connectors on my wirings. They are left afloat inside the caivites, but since I use plain core wire and my cavities are usually crowded, they stay put. These connectors are super useful for either swap pickups, swiches and other components without soldering.

lewis

Reaction score
OK so got the upgrades today, here's some pics of the parts, @lewis the darkglass preamp looks pretty simple to install, gonna use much of the preexisting wire so it should be a breeze to install.
Holy crap thanks for this. That wiring diagram is great and this looks super simple. Also looks like I could use this no problem with EMG pickups!!!!!

thats awesome.
Cant wait for some clips and pics of this finished bro!. Going to be incredible.

Thanks again for the pics of all the TC stuff

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK so pickups and preamp installed. @lewis sorry bud forgot to take more pics, got annoyed and forgot. Basically when you install the preamp you are going to have to widen the holes for the pots as they are ever so slightly, annoying so, wider than the pre drilled holes. Luckily I had some small jewellery files to hand, and didn't take to long. The pickups fell into place fine. Connecting the preamp up was easy af, it's just a case of poking in the wires into the right holes and screwing it down.
As for sounds I do really like the combo of the aguilar dcb and the darkglass tone capsule, I don't miss the treble control, and totally understand why it's not there. One thing I have found super important with this combo is, pickup height. The pickups seem super sensitive to pickup height. When they were first installed I was a bit disappointed as they did sound, to me anyways, very weak. I was having to turn up the level on my interface to get a decent signal. However once I adjusted the height everything was back to normal. Wiring wise I'm using the same one volume, one blend.
Currently using neural dsp parallax plugin and it sounds killer. Sounds a lot better than the darkglass neural dsp plugin. Seems everything the darkglass plugin can do the parallax does better. Just mu opinion though.

lewis

Reaction score
OK so pickups and preamp installed. @lewis sorry bud forgot to take more pics, got annoyed and forgot. Basically when you install the preamp you are going to have to widen the holes for the pots as they are ever so slightly, annoying so, wider than the pre drilled holes. Luckily I had some small jewellery files to hand, and didn't take to long. The pickups fell into place fine. Connecting the preamp up was easy af, it's just a case of poking in the wires into the right holes and screwing it down.
As for sounds I do really like the combo of the aguilar dcb and the darkglass tone capsule, I don't miss the treble control, and totally understand why it's not there. One thing I have found super important with this combo is, pickup height. The pickups seem super sensitive to pickup height. When they were first installed I was a bit disappointed as they did sound, to me anyways, very weak. I was having to turn up the level on my interface to get a decent signal. However once I adjusted the height everything was back to normal. Wiring wise I'm using the same one volume, one blend.
Currently using neural dsp parallax plugin and it sounds killer. Sounds a lot better than the darkglass neural dsp plugin. Seems everything the darkglass plugin can do the parallax does better. Just mu opinion though.

As if its that easy. Thats awesome. Good news about sorting the pickup out.

If you have any songs/Youtube channel showcasing any of this you want to plug, get it up!
Would love to hear clips of this beast in action.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
Those basses look mighty fine for such cheap instruments :)

Latest posts

')