NBG 8 string build

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks man!
Since I started this build I saw some cool looking wooden bridges. I didn't see these before I think it is because 8 string bridges are not widely available. It is cool to make it though.

I am planning for a brass bar for the ferrulers. I will lead a ground wire there. I think there will be a plate under the saddles. The baseplate has to be thinner so I have to do some work on the bridge.

i made one myself in hipshot dimensions in case i ever got the hipshot 8 bridge..mainly because i couldnt justify the $100 for the bridge...it came out alright, but ive got plenty of zebrawood left, so im getting some MDF and making some templates so i can do it again and get a much cleaner result.

i have a think piece of steel thats like an 1/16" maybe thinner, but i think i want to get a real thin piece of aluminum since itd be easier to work with for sure..all in all the thickness of my actuall baseplate is an 1/8". so once i redo it and get a cleaner result im going to see if i cant still thin that more, or i might just end up recessing it and gluing it down rather than bolting it to the body.

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
My bridge is also made with the Hipshot dimensions. Same reason but I liked that I could use my own design. At first I wanted to make it out of brass but I don't have the tools for it. This is the first I've made. My router is a bit too big for this kind of work. I think a xy table would be great.
I also wanted to try a wooden bridge since it is standard on acoustics. I thought it might work on electrics too.

Gluing it down would be intresting. A more integrated bridge design.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really like the inlaid lettering on the bridge. It just screams "class".

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
The bridge was the best place for the logo.
The bridge is made by hand using my router and chisels. The logo is cnc cut. It is maple.

Rokkaholic

Reaction score
I really dig the professional look of this guitar. Very cool design, especially the bridge :agreed:

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
At first I will use the saddles with the round hole. I have 2 bridges with those saddles. If these don't work out for this project I will change them.
Foto447.jpg

The position of the jackinput is not determined yet. Maybe I'll put in on top. I kinda like it there.

Foto044.jpg

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
Me too man, I've got 4 of them and already planned them on 3 projects. But now they really have to become part of this build. These are audio knobs I found in a secondhand store.

Ultraworld

Luthier A Holic
Reaction score
I've been a Luthier for close to 30 years. Really, really nice work. The neck is very deep set & looks very strong. The bridge really stands out. Can I recomend a strip of steel under the saddles so the set screws dont sink onto the wood. Something tells me you have this figured out already.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey ultra world is back! :cheers:

@ OP its looking GREAT so far. Im partial to the jack being on the face where you have it mocked up. :)

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
I've been a Luthier for close to 30 years. Really, really nice work. The neck is very deep set & looks very strong. The bridge really stands out. Can I recomend a strip of steel under the saddles so the set screws dont sink onto the wood. Something tells me you have this figured out already.

Thanks! I hope I'll be building guitars 30 years from now. I started 6 years ago with a Warmoth neck and a selfmade body. It got to me and I like it very much. I've got plenty ideas for guitars I hope to build one day.

I thought about a strip under the saddles. I aloso want to use it for ground.

Nicklas

nbg guitars
Reaction score
Foto046.jpg

I enlarged the control cavity. I probably gonna build a preamp into the guitar so I need some more room. I have to make a mold to tighten it up. Now it is freehanded.

Foto047.jpg

')