NBKPD! (short picstory)

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I've been expecting my new BKP's that had been sent out last friday to arrive any day now. After anxiously checking the mail box on Thursday and Friday, they had not yet arrived and to my dismay, I would have to wait through the weekend. So, this morning I slept in a little (I fucking love the construction holiday), and woke up hoping that the mail truck had already passed. I had a good feeling about today. Mailbox key in hand and camera at the ready to capture this monumental day, I head out across the street.

I key the lock and swing the door open. There's a package inside...
100_2015.jpg

So I get inside and toss envelopes to their rightful owners and turn my attention to the package: guitar parts... I take a look at who it's from. It's from The Axe Palace!

100_2019.jpg

I need to get this thing open. It's taped up pretty good, so I'll have to bring in reinforcements. I pull out my trusty Leatherman Skeletool. Nobody should be without one.

100_2021.jpg

What's inside!?!?!?!? :scream:

100_2022.jpg

again, :scream:

100_2023.jpg

I open up the box and find a mess of papers and other fun stuff:

Aww, they gave me a pick. And I love tortoiseshell, how'd they know? How sweet of those guys over at BKP.

100_2025.jpg

And they gave me strings too. I don't use light gauge, but it's the thought that counts!

100_2026.jpg

So, with all the papers and goodies out of the way, I now behold the Mighty Nailbomb. Again, :scream:

100_2028.jpg

:scream::scream::scream::scream:

Unfortunately I'm not much with electronics and general tech stuff and have never used a soldering gun, and I'm to afraid to screw anything up to start now. My tech isn't in today, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to get these in. They were orignally going into an EC-1000 to replace an SD JB and 59 set, but I since picked up a Gibson Les Paul and they're now going to go into that. I'm also changing all the black plastic hardware like the pickguard, pickup rings, etc. to cream-coloured stuff. Pics to come soon!

until then, :scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Congrats. :metal: These are incredible pickups, especially the bridge version. I have a set in my ES335, but I really want to buy another six-string to put them in (still debating). They're great, but they're certainly not what God intended with regards to ES335s. :lol:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Congrats. Please maybe do a review and perhaps a clip or two when you get them in.

I can definitely do a review, but I don't have anything to record with at home. My band should be recording a full-length by the end of the year, so I can post up some clips of that when it's done.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Congrats. :metal: These are incredible pickups, especially the bridge version. I have a set in my ES335, but I really want to buy another six-string to put them in (still debating). They're great, but they're certainly not what God intended with regards to ES335s. :lol:

If you're a Gibson kind of guy, I couldn't recommend a Les Paul enough. People knock on them all the time, but I find there really is something special about them. I've heard some pretty incredible clips of NB's in Les Pauls and I personally love a guitar with a lot of weight to it.

I've also been considering picking up a cheap Mexican Strat with eith an HSS or HH configuration and putting some BKP's in it, just for shock value :lol: but I figure the sound coming out of an ES335 with an NB set in it must be pretty shocking already.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. :yesway: I'm definitely partial to Gibsons, and I've wanted to check out a good Les Paul for a while, as well as some PRS guitars. I too am a fan of a guitar with a lot of bulk to it.

The ES335 doesn't sound as bad as you might think. :lol: It can certainly do heavier styles, but the cleans just aren't quite as mellow and sweet as I'd like them to be. Don't get me wrong, the Nailbombs sound good clean, just not quite good enough to have them in a semi-hollow (which tends to squeal under high gain situations anyway).

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
wow, I MUST hear how they sound in a les paul. I am so close to putting new pups in my '92 les paul, but I orginally wanted some more "original" sounding ones.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Those clips sound excellent. Man, ciam's Les Paul GAS has reached an all time high. :yum:

I'm not sure what prices are like in your area, but in Canada, a second-hand LP Studio in good condition can be had for under $900 CAD. Just if you do go the second-hand route, you may want to make sure that you're getting something from before '07 cuz that's when they started chambering their bodies :noway:.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I'm not sure what prices are like in your area, but in Canada, a second-hand LP Studio in good condition can be had for under $900 CAD. Just if you do go the second-hand route, you may want to make sure that you're getting something from before '07 cuz that's when they started chambering their bodies :noway:.

I apologise for the thread derail, dude, but you're being really helpful. :lol: Body chambering is bad? I suppose that I'd much prefer a solid body, simply because my ES335 is obviously chambered, and I'd want my Les Paul to be as different as possible.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I apologise for the thread derail, dude, but you're being really helpful. :lol: Body chambering is bad? I suppose that I'd much prefer a solid body, simply because my ES335 is obviously chambered, and I'd want my Les Paul to be as different as possible.

Well, the thing about chambering is that Gibson calls it "a marriage of tone and weight", as chambering a guitar will obviously make it lighter, but Gibson also argues that it will alsop make the instrument more resonant, which I, along with a number of other people will call bullshit on. The fact of the matter is that, Gibson Les Pauls have been solid-bodied guitars since the '50's and have built their reputation as such - and I'd say that the reputation they've built is an extremely solid one. As far as I'm concerned, this "marriage of tone and weight" is just another way for Gibson to over-charge on a cheaper guitar, as making a lighter design will enable them to use heavier mahogany, which means lower-quality mahogany.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I have heard that lighter mahogany tends to be more resonant. I'd definitely consider the second hand market, and I'll make sure to check out the date. Thanks for your help, man! :cheers:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I have heard that lighter mahogany tends to be more resonant. I'd definitely consider the second hand market, and I'll make sure to check out the date. Thanks for your help, man! :cheers:

Any time, and hopefully that GAS translates into a NGD some time soon! :lol: