NCD - Homemade Oversized 2x12

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
I have been working on this cabinet on and off for probably around 2 months and finally just got around to finishing it.

Specs -
Oversized, I can't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head I think 30.5" x 21" x 15"
3/4 birch ply construction + solid pine framing in the inside
Celestion V30 (British made) + Celestion g12k-100 speakers (both 16 Ohm, wired in parallel for 8 ohms)
Wine Taurus tolex
solid black fender-ish style grill cloth
white piping
black corners and handles

Sound- It sounds pretty damn massive for a 2x12. It's missing a little of that 4x12 low end punch but it's 90% of the way there. Unfortunately it's at least 70 pounds (haven't weighed it but it's heavy as fuck), so it's not much better on my back than a 4x12. It takes up a lot less room though which is nice. The V30 and G12K go very well together. Two V30's on their own seem to always be missing something in the low end and a little in the top end and the G12k-100 makes up for that perfectly. It is almost Hi-Fi sounding with a huge clear bottom end and top end sparkle. Combined with the Cut of the v30 it sounds really well balanced for both cleans and dirty sounds.

Sorry for the shitty pictures. They are taken with my phone and the cab is in a very awkward spot right now. It's up against a kitchen table in my parents house facing the wall. I can't be arsed to move it since I'm leaving in a couple of days anyways and it's so heavy.

admlgq.jpg

jxsqxq.jpg

yolgaq.jpg

I miss counted the amount of screws I needed so I'm missing a couple on the back which is why it looks a little off. Also the angle makes the screws look weird and off center but they aren't, the input jack is actually centered between those two screws in the middle.

sbbvjv.jpg

Here is a shitty clip with my phone as well. It's horrible quality but you can hear how huge it sounds somewhat. I'm using the 5150 model in the podhd500x into a power amp and into the cab. Please forgive my horrible noodling, I didn't prepare riffs or anything for the clip I just improvised a few things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Nice job. Rolex job looks real clean from the pictures. Hard to get a good sound representation from a compressed phone mic, but it doesn't sound too boomy or anything. Good work!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Very cool! I have almost exactly the same speakers in in my 2x12 (English made for Mesa V30 / K100), such an awesome pairing, good choice.