NCD (Sunn 4x12) need suggestions for speakers

broj15

Reaction score
So yesterday I traded my Sunn beta 105H (1x15 with a horn) for this big boy.

Screenshot-20200225-002258.png

Screenshot-20200225-002304.png

The cab itself is built like an absolute tank, but honestly I've never been a fan of the Sunn transducers. One of them already has some damage to the cone so I'm thinking about replacing all of them and was needing suggestions. I tune in drop A and I'm looking for something that's full in the lows and mids, with just enough high frequency to add some bite. I'm the only guitarist in my band & we don't have a bassist, so I don't think a really mid heavy speaker like a V30 would be my best bet. The amp I'm using is 160w @ 4ohm, so I'm looking for some 4 or 16 ohm speakers that can handle atleast 50 watts a piece. The more budget friendly the better. Any time I've looked for speakers in the past it was always 15", so options were limited, but there's a TON of options for 12" obviously and it's starting to get a little overwhelming.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
When we record our first ep I used a Sunn cab for my guitar tone. I really need to find a Sunn cab...just one not that big :lol: I don't want to break my back.

Some Legends would sound good in there IMO

broj15

Reaction score
I think at least a pair of Swamp Thangs blended with something else would be sick in that cab. Maybe two Legends/two Swamps in an X?

After listening to a bunch of clips I think this would be the way to go. I'm thinking swamp thangs & v1216's would be a good route to go. To my understanding the v1216's are supposed to be like v30's with tamer highs, and if so I imagine that would pair pretty well with the low end of the swamp thangs. Anyone else tried that combo before?

broj15

Reaction score
Aren't those AlNiCo speakers?

Could be worth some dough

Eh, it depends on who you ask. Some people love the tone and others think they're absolute garbage from what I've heard. I still haven't had time to try it out yet, so I can't really voice an opinion. Since they aren't widely regarded for thier tone they only hold value to the few that like them, or a collector looking to restore an old cab. I just know that I'd rather have a 4 ohm cab since it would be the most efficient for my head.

Latest posts