Nearfield Monitors

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I am eyeing some specific ones up, but before taking the plunge, what do you guys recommend? I am not averse to actually splashing a fair bit of cash on them, as I've wanted a decent set for ages, something that will supercede me using a hifi amp and speakers for my recording setup :D

The room is relatively small, I'd say 7x7 foot or so, if that makes any difference, but I do want them to last as buying gear that isn't the gear you really want is false economy really...

SO advize away!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you definitely need to come and have a listen to the PM1's that I just got before you buy anything.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The KRK's and Diamonds get very good reviews.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Do you have sound treatment in your room ?

Nope, although it's something i should consider. What would you recommend?

What I have been looking at is mackie 824's, just as I have toyed with some a few years ago, and they were very good. They may be a bit much for my current room, but at the same time, i don't want to go on a merry go round of buying and selling monitors and slowly upgrading all the time :/

I own a pair of EMES nearfield monitors, and it kicks ass.

What model?

The KRK's and Diamonds get very good reviews.

Which ones? Used them? Available in europe?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
price range and applications are very important?
adam's $$$$$$$$$$
Genelec $$$$$$
Mackie $$$$
Krk $$$
M-audio /$

Yamaha NS-10'a are a studio Must!:yesway:
I use three sets to do final mixes...
Ns-10 X
Genelec 1029A
Krk V8's

I want to get adams Low pro Ribbons really bad but ...$2500.00 each I need to justify the cost!:wallbash:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which ones? Used them? Available in europe?

Sorry, the Wharfedale Diamonds get great reviews for "budget" near fields. I liked the KRK RP8s when I heard them more than anything in the price range, and the KRK V8s sounded comparable to - though different than - the Mackies.

The Genelecs kick ass, but they're expensive. ;)

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses the KRK RP8s in his studio, along with some Yamahas (not sure which model) and some Events with the 8 in woofer (again not sure of the model. He uses the KRKs for pretty much everything and tests out his mixes on the other monitors. I think the KRKs sound pretty solid, but Idon't have tons of experience with them. Just a few hours here and there.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm, those Diamonds, if they're half as good as people are claiming, look to be a great buy, Mike.

I've been perfectly happy with the Behringer's I picked up a few months back - they're not the best monitors on the market by ANY means, but they're significantly better than the speakers I was using previously. They're also definitely not going to be the last monitors I ever buy, but I figure they're good enough to get me through my CD, and when I eventually do want to upgrade I'm planning on just donating them to my dad for his recording setup so it's not like it's cash down the drain, exactly.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, those Diamonds, if they're half as good as people are claiming, look to be a great buy, Mike.

I haven't found a pair to hear them yet, but some people just seem to love them.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I love my Event TR8's, but it sounds like you might have a bigger budget than expected.

Honestly, those Mackie's are amazing... I'd go with them in a heartbeat.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd probably go with the Mackies. I've got a set of M-Audio BX-8's in my studio, and they have a detailed sound but overemphasize the highs. Still, clarity is the most important thing you can get out of studio monitors, and you'll have to adjust to the sonic characteristics of any monitors you buy.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I use KRK V6s, and I love them...the V8s are awesome as well...I also had a pair of the M-Audio BX-8s, but returned them after doing some side-by-side listening vs. my KRKs...there was no contest IMO

Latest posts

')