Neck dimensions

• Thread starter The Caracal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI,

I recently tested a Shecter 007 blackjack (didn't have anydots on the fretboard though).

I think this neck was quite thick. Of course it's wider then a six, but if you compare the thickness of the necks, not the width, What guitars have thinner necks than this guitar?

If you compare this to the 007 elite and the C7 Hellraiser. How does those compare to the 007 blackjack?
If you compare this to other brand's models as well, I would appreciate it alot!

Best regards
Fredrik

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Not a single person on this forum that have tested more then one seven?

I'd really like to own a seven, but there aren't too many stores around here that sales them...

I need s little help here in my hunt for a seven!

/Fredrik

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Schecters are tough to find around me. I could give you comaprisons between a couple of others (Ibby, LTD, etc.), but I couldn't really compare them to the Schecter. This looks like a Jacksonplayer special, since he's owned just about every production 7 ever made. :)

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
I've played three 7's

Schecter C7 Blackjack - thick, round neck but still very comfortable and easy enough to get around.

ESP LTD H207 - slightly thinner, flatter at the back than the Schecter

Conklin Groove Tools GTG7 - Really very thin, thinner than any 6 I have too.

Reaction score
eaeolian said:
The Schecters are tough to find around me. I could give you comaprisons between a couple of others (Ibby, LTD, etc.), but I couldn't really compare them to the Schecter. This looks like a Jacksonplayer special, since he's owned just about every production 7 ever made. :)

All sevens are welcome! Would appreciate if you do, especially ibby, ltd and jackson, my mind is not yet limited to the schecter brand :cool:

Thanks!
Thank you to Doctor J!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Caracal said:
All sevens are welcome! Would appreciate if you do, especially ibby, ltd and jackson, my mind is not yet limited to the schecter brand :cool:

Thanks!
Thank you to Doctor J!

OK:

The Ibby RG and Uni line have the thinnest necks, period. That said, I've found they're almost TOO thin for me, since my hand tends to fatigue on them after a while - probably because I'm used to the thicker neck on my Jackson Soloist 7. I actually played a 7321 for a while yesterday and found it rather enjoyable - certainly quite a decent guitar for $350. The fretwork was even pretty good, although the 7420/1 and the 7620/1 are better guitars.

The older Schecters - the A7 and C7, and their variants - definitely had MUCH thicker necks, with stronger "shoulders", although not as pronounced as the Ibby AX line. The A7s neck was a bit thinner than the C7's. The one newer one I've played - a 007 Eilite - was similar to a finished A7 neck, IIRC. The fretwork on all of these I've seen were excellent.

The LTDs are right in the middle - at least the H207 and M207 were - thinner, with a "flatter" cross-section, and less "shoulder" than the Schecters, but not as thin as the RGs. I thought the H307's neck was a little thicker, but it could just be finish drag altering my impressions. The frets usually leave something to be desired, but that's LTDs in general, in my experience.

The bolt-on Jacksons had a different neck, a little "clubbier" than the LTDs without being as thick as the Schecter. Frets were pretty good, but these were my least favorite of the ones I've discussed, and I'm usually a Jackson guy.

I'll also throw in the Washburn Sonic 7 in here as having a big - about the size of the Schecter A7 - but extremely comfortable neck, and excellent fretwork.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
My Schecter 007 Blackjack has a lovely round neck. I lurves it. :cool:

My old Ibanez Rg7421 had a very thin neck, a Wizard 7. Like he said, the thinnest on any seven anywhere really. Very fast and comfortable at first, but like eaeolian, I got some hand fatique going on after a bit with the Ibby.

Reaction score
Thanks! Great answers!
However, does anyone know if it's the same neck on the 007 elite as it is on the 007 blackjack?

/Fredrik

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Caracal said:
Not a single person on this forum that have tested more then one seven?

It helps if you wait more than three hours, between 6AM and 9AM eastern standard time.. ;)

Can't add much more to what's been said, as I've never A/B'd the two models in question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the're probably pretty similar.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
What are the necks on the EBMM JPM7's like compared to the Ibanez line? I ask as I've got an RG7/Universe style neck on my custom 7 but hopefully soon I'm going to get another guitar body and wanna get myself my 2nd seven stringer.

I'm not sure whether to go for the same thing again but as a lefty I haven't had the chance to compare. I don't have massive hands but the neck I have already feels fine. Then again, I was farily happy with the Wizard II on my 470, but when I got my 1570 I was like 'woah!' as the neck was so much nicer. Hmmmm[/ramble]

Reaction score
Drew said:
It helps if you wait more than three hours, between 6AM and 9AM eastern standard time.. ;)

Can't add much more to what's been said, as I've never A/B'd the two models in question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the're probably pretty similar.

Well, not to be rude or anything hehe, but actually I waited more then 48 hours....
10-22-2005, 05:11 AM and Yesterday 08:02 AM wich ould make yesterday the 25th, possibly 24th, depending on the difference in time...

Doesn't matter that much though, just making clear that I'm not that impatient....

How about that neck then, does the 007 elite and te 007 blackjack have the same neck?
And more seven specs are welcome!

Thanks for the great answers so far!

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Other than the obvious difference in feel that you'll get with the extra inch on the Blackjack model, I'm pretty sure the neck profiles are going to be very similar. I own the 007 Blackjack as I said, and I've played the 007 Elite and they felt the same except for the difference in scale length.

I don't remember if you said you had already ordered the guitar, but unless looks are a big factor for you or you specifically want a 25 1/2" scale seven, I'd recommend the Blackjack model. You get better pickups (Real Duncans) and the extra inch on the scale which really works well for a seven string for the same price as the 007 Elite. With the Elite, you're paying extra for that sexy flamed top but you lose some stuff in other ways.

And the Blackjack series are certainly not slouches in the looks department anyways. :cool:

0073.jpg

0074.jpg

007body.jpg

Reaction score
Goregeous guitar that one! Might try one today...
I'm used to my ibanez 1570, but I'd probably get used to the thicker neck.
Does the scale lenght make it harder to do solos, and if it does could this be fixed by tuning the guitar like a half step down?

Best regards,
Fredrik

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
.010's on a 26 1/2" scale will be a bit tighter feeling than .010's on a 25 1/2" scale, all else being equal. Just use lighter strings on the Blackjack if it bugs you, and you won't have to tune down at all. :yesway:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a C7 Blackjack, and used to own a Schecter A7 Elite. The necks are similar in size and feel, except for the difference in scale length. I LOVE my Blackjack, especially the slightly longer scale.

Caracel, if you are used to an Ibanez 7-string neck, the thicker Schecter neck will definitely take some getting used to. As to whether the Schecter necks are good for soloing, that's all a matter of opinion. Personally, I find it easier to solo on the Schecter than on the Ibanez neck, since find the thicker neck provides a better angle for my hand, as well as more 'leverage' for string-bending. But if you like the thin Ibanez neck for soloing, then you might not like the Schecter neck.

I tune my Blackjack down 1/2 step to create less string tension, but I also do that on every guitar I own, regardless of the scale length.

frank falbo

Reaction score
I've had the C-7 for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to strip the back of the neck (with a clean paint line like the Carvin tung oiled necks) and put an asymmetrical carve on the back. I like that on a 7-string guitar or a 6-string bass, because of the extra width. I think it puts your hand in a better position. So yeah, I think the Schecter neck is a little thick. Although I won't address it by making it thinner, really, just by taking some off each side for a more form-fitting shape. In that regard, I'm actually glad it's as thick as it is, because it gives me all that wood to work with. On an UV neck, there's nothing I can do, really. So it's not so much thick as it is overly round and fat, too. Does that make sense? If you play an LP with a bat neck, then you'll like the Schecter. If you play RG's, then you'll like the UV's, and probably the RG's too. And I haven't tried the LTD's.

Reaction score
Ok,
I tested the 007 Blackjack, the only seven around here... I currently own the rg 1570, which has a very thin neck as you know, I thought the blackjack had a wee bit too thick neck for me, but that could be since I havn't really played a seven before, not to mention the extended scale. So all of this components may have contributed to this feeling that it was a little hard to play...

I have also tested the "Christian Olde Wolbers 7-String Dinky Arch Top", that had a neck that was more in my taste. Didn't like that it just had one emg nd that the neck joint were a bit clumpsy.

If I'm looking for something in between schecters and rg's neckwidths, what guitars should I be looking at?

Best regards,
Fredrik

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like the Ibanez Universe, to me, although you're talking some $$$ there.

Also consider looking at the ESP LTD SC607--the Stephen Carpenter signature model. Those have a medium-sized neck, if I recall correctly.

')