Neck help

Romeomeo

Reaction score
I don't like the neck on my RG7321, it's too thick.. or something. I like the necks on the Universe and the Apex, for example. My Schecter V7 has a similar neck to those. They are thinner, and have, a smaller radius? (I don't know)

Could I sand down the neck on my RG7321 to get the feel I want? Any advice or info?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Yeah, you could easily sand down the back of the neck, just be careful around the middle longitude of the neck. You don't want to sand through to the truss rod! LOL. I have an RG7321 as well as an RG7620 and RG1077XL and the RG7321 has very square "shoulders" compared to the other two, so you wouldn't really have to mess with the middle line of the neck much. As for the tools necessary, I would suggest cutting out cardboard radius "templates" based off of your Schecter neck. Make templates for the back-neck radius around the 1st, 7th, 12th, 15th, and 19th frets. Use 200 grit sand paper attached to a long rectangular block and carefully sand down the neck "shoulders" until the profile matches the schecter neck, then work your way up in grit (400-1000, 2000 if you're anal) and then either finish the back of the neck or tung oil it.

Romeomeo

Reaction score
Yeah, you could easily sand down the back of the neck, just be careful around the middle longitude of the neck. You don't want to sand through to the truss rod! LOL. I have an RG7321 as well as an RG7620 and RG1077XL and the RG7321 has very square "shoulders" compared to the other two, so you wouldn't really have to mess with the middle line of the neck much. As for the tools necessary, I would suggest cutting out cardboard radius "templates" based off of your Schecter neck. Make templates for the back-neck radius around the 1st, 7th, 12th, 15th, and 19th frets. Use 200 grit sand paper attached to a long rectangular block and carefully sand down the neck "shoulders" until the profile matches the schecter neck, then work your way up in grit (400-1000, 2000 if you're anal) and then either finish the back of the neck or tung oil it.

Yes, that's exactly it. Thanks so much. Is it necessary to finish it? I've heard of players sanding the finish off the neck out of preference. Could it hurt the wood to leave it unfinished or is it just a feel thing?

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
You don't have to finish it, but know that your sweat and oils will get into the wood, and could potentially "stain" it. Also, if you live in a particularly humid area, the neck might shift more in seasonal changes due to moisture being able to get into the wood easier. That is a hypothetical though. I've never tried an unfinished neck.

Romeomeo

Reaction score
I went ahead and sanded the neck... and WOW did it ever make a difference.

I took a lot of wood off all around, the neck is much much thinner, and more rounded. It's a lot more fun to play. At the moment the wood is unfinished and playing it feels extremely nice and smooth.

I'm wondering if anybody has tips on caring for an unfinished neck? Cleaners to use etc...

Ever since I got this guitar (for real cheap) I've been full of mod ideas, this being the most important. Aside from replacing the nut / tuners / saddles, I'm thinking of doing a complete refinish. Sand it down to bare wood, if the grain is nice, then just stain it dark.. If not, I want to fill the neck pickup route with wood filler, replace the bridge pickup with something brutal, and paint it WHITE. Always loved white Ibanez 7 strings. Finally have some time this summer to put these ideas into actions. Input?