Neck Making!

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve never really looked into making necks; I always presumed it was some sort of black art. Witchcraft, protractors, strange tools involved etc.
However, the more I’ve seen on here, the more inspired I am to tackle a build. I know someone who can add a fretboard & fret it so that side of it isn’t an issue.
I’m also no stranger to woodwork, I make kitchen knives with custom handles as a hobby, and also have refurbed a couple of guitar bodies, the most recent being a body stripped back to bare wood, unwanted holes filled (neck pickup, volume knob) re shaped (increased cutaways, more of a carve for the forearm contour), dyed & then a veneer added.

Am I right in thinking that, whilst not being exactly ‘easy’, its relatively straight forward? (I’ll omit any measuring stages from the following)
Select your neck wood/woods, get a decent sized blank, sort out the headstock tilt, slot a truss rod cavity, add a flat for the nut, then shape the rear? Is that correct?

Also, I always used to think (as in, I read it when I was 16 and never bothered to double check), that the truss rods were installed curved/bent, and that tightening them caused them to straighten, thus bending the neck. If this is the case, that’s a pretty fancy slot you’d need to make…

Am I missing anything? I’m reasonably confident I could make a neck, shape it, get all that sorted. It’s just the whole mechanics of it I’m not sure about! i.e. I could make a lovely guitar that was perfect until it had strings on and then unplayable as the neck would look like an archer’s bow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah thats pretty much what I'd planned to do. Any tips on the truss rod side of things?

MrYakob

Reaction score
I can't offer too much help as I'm only just starting out myself, but I would definitely practice on some cheap/scrap lumber before diving in with some expensive/nice woods. Made a mistake on my first neck build that a friend asked for and while I'm working on Macgyver-ing around it I would have been much better off building some practice pine necks!

Deegatron

Reaction score
You are correct in that the actual bare bones of neck making is relatively simple.
The "black art" and special tools really come into play with fretwork and inlay (excluding round dots... those are fairly easy).

As far as your trussrod is concerned. use a dual action rod like those supplied by LMII or Stewmac. they allow you to adjust for some back or forward bow and the best part is they fit in a straight slot so they're much easier to install.

for your first build buy a pre-slotted fretboard (non radius'd as its easier to glue to the neck then radius with a sanding block)
have your buddy help you install the frets but don't let him do it for you. this is a skill you want to learn if you want to build more than 1 neck...
it would also be a good idea to build a fender style neck with no scarf joint for your first neck (heel adjust truss rod). I find them much less complicated to build.

do dot inlays with a brad point bit (LMII sells the nicest brad point bits I've ever used)

Keep the first one simple and you can go crazy on neck # 2, 3 or 4.....

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing info thank you! Good points I hadn't thought of! Really geared up for this now, thanks guys!

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
One thing I've learned as a newbie, plan plan plan everything out in as much detail as you can before you start. I also did a scrap pine neck (it's easy to work with) and is great practice for a scarf joint and testing out simple jigs you will likely need to build for routing.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Its as hard and difficult as you want to make it. Just enjoy the process and don't worry or overthink it then you'll find it much easier.
Do all the fret board slotting, tapering, fretting and levelling before you shape the neck.
The truss rod goes in flat btw.

J_Mac

Reaction score
I'm on my first build and I considered myself fairly inept at woodwork before I started. I've come a long way thanks to the very helpful and experienced people here. Just do it one step at a time and keep asking questions here. And remember, when you make a mistake, it is usually fixable and sometimes you end up with an improvement to your build :)

There is a MASSIVE amount of talent here at SSO (^especially the guys who have posted above^) and I have enjoyed learning from everyone.

timbryant99

Reaction score
it would also be a good idea to build a fender style neck with no scarf joint for your first neck (heel adjust truss rod). I find them much less complicated to build.

Agreed. The tricky part is getting a good "scoop" from behind the neck to the headstock. Making MDF templates for the fingerboard taper and headstock is always a good idea. You can buy the fingerboards pre slotted from LMII or stewmac. Just line them up with the neck and use locating pins for when you are about to glue the fingerboard on. Good luck!

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing info thanks! Going to practice on some random bits of wood before I get stuck in.

Latest posts

')