Neck pup to compliment DiMarzio Super 3?

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
I've had a DiMarzio Super 3 in my SC-600 for a good while now, and it sounds teh secksors. Stock, it had an SD SH-4 in the bridge and some Duncan Designed arse in the middle, so when I popped the Super 3 in I moved the Duncan to the middle, but it's still not sounding as I'd like it

I want a pup with a nice silky tone, relatively dark highs and a warm midrange, but not too dull-sounding; it has to have some definition on the top, but nothing that sounds brittle. Very much looking for a DiMarzio here as well as my Super 3 has the chrome bobbins, so I need this pickup to match! :lol:. Would the Breed or PAF Pro models do what I want, or can anybody recommend something better? For those not in the know, the SC-600 is maple neck-thru, mahogany winged construction. Hard-tail at the moment, but once I've the £$ I'll be dropping a Kahler in, and my baby will be complete! :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe an Air Zone? Middle position humbuckers are kind of an unusual thing, so it's hard to give good advice. PAF Pro might be a decent choice to match the output of the Super3.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
super 2. straight up. GREAT pickup. takes a while to get one, have to special order it, but theyre totally super badass, and sound perfect with a SD1 or super3 in the bridge.

oh shit for middle position. hrm. im tempted to say a norton. not an air norton, just a norton. or try a Tonezone, or an air zone. ive liked all those in middle positions

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
SD pearly gates?

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
oh shit for middle position. hrm. im tempted to say a norton. not an air norton, just a norton. or try a Tonezone, or an air zone. ive liked all those in middle positions

According to the DiMarzio site, the Air Zone works well with a Super 3 in the bridge, and since it's not going right in the neck, it should balance out that low end-heavy response, so I'll probably try that one first; thanks man! The chrome-topped version is going to be an asshole to find though :noplease:

Edit: just found one on eBay US, from the same guy I got my Super 3 from. Only problem with this is this guy won't ship overseas, as DiMarzio caught him doing it and apparently threatened to cut off his supply or something :noway:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
just order it from a local dealer man. it will take a while, but thats gonna be the easiest

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
It will also be more than twice as expensive :lol:

I've a mate out in WI who shipped my Super 3 out to me last year (and the guitar it went in, years before that, actually), so I'll see if I can hit him up again

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
if not, shoot me a pm man, and ill see if i can work something out

Purist

Contributor
Reaction score
Breed Neck. :) That's what I have in the neck with a Super 3 in the bridge.

+1
i had a breed/super3 combo too b4 i got a warpig in my guitar. Breed was a pretty good match for it. it was even recommended by dimarzio when i e-mailed them awhile ago about pickup suggestions.