Neck through Tele?

• Thread starter col
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Who makes one? I know ESP makes sevens, but I'd need a sixer for this tuning. (open C# minor)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm looking for a neck-through, not set neck.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Doesn't Carvin have a shape that's sort of tele-ish?

Just checked, it's the TL60. They look pretty cool, too.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Are we talking about a "Tele" as in a proper Telecaster-style guitar, or a "Tele" as in a guitar that is shaped like a Tele, but otherwise bears little similarity to a Telecaster? I'm guessing the second, as proper Telecasters tend not to come with neck-throughs.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^So to you the word telecaster has less to do with the shape and more to do with an ashtray bridge?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So how you would describe what is import to something being a proper telecaster goes:

neck attachement>bodyshape>ashtray bridge

what if there's a humbucker?? what then??

cip 123

Reaction score
That Chapman ML-3 RC is a Set-Through, its a set neck sculpted to feel like a through neck, I think thats as close as you're going to get

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
A "proper" Telecaster to me is something that is built with respect to the purity of the design and the adherence to the original concept, some guitars are closer, some are further away, even within Fender's own catalogue. The ultimate incarnation of a Telecaster to me is ash / alder body, bolt on, maple neck + fretboard, ashtray bridge and 3 twin brass or chrome steel saddles (though I prefer brass).

When we're talking about 24 fret, neck-through, twin hucker, TOM bridge guitar, it might have the shape of a Tele, but it's design philosophy is substantially different that I no longer consider it a Tele.

No need to get stressed over it though, chill dude. :)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I was just trying to razz ya. But really I don't understand how wood choice or bridge shape constitute "design philosophy". I could maybe see something like: teles must be bolt on, single coil, string through. That seems more like a design 'philosophy' than what kind of metal you make the saddles out of.

if all 'proper' versions of guitars are just the closest ones to original model specs... well, then, I... just don't like that way of thinking!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I don't get why some tele purists are so adamant other guitares aren't teles. Superstrats are as far away from the original strat design as you can get and nobody comes saying "you shouldn't call those strats".

col

blah.
Reaction score
Yeah just looking for a Tele shaped metal guitar.

Doesn't Carvin have a shape that's sort of tele-ish?

Just checked, it's the TL60. They look pretty cool, too.

Yeah that looks pretty sweet, thanks! Only thing I'm afraid it sounds too bright for my taste like the DC747 I had.

And ordering a Carvin to Finland is a PITA, only dealer that I can go through is 200 miles away.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
If we just start saying "SuperTeles" will that satiate the purists?
And if we're talking about SuperTeles, all hail the master:
20140907_125501_zpsd6f6736a.jpg

Not neck thru, but can certainly do metal.

As far as neck thru, the only one I think I've seen was this Jackson Custom Shop beauty AFAIK.
8500_Tele_Soloist_Silve_burst_J8010_a.jpg

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Fender FMTs have set necks. Maybe closer?

cip 123

Reaction score
And ordering a Carvin to Finland is a PITA, only dealer that I can go through is 200 miles away.

Carvin just announced they ship direct international with no dealers involved. Just email their sales department. And I'm sure you can get a guitar that sounds less bright if you spec it out properly. :)

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
as far as i know the Chapman guitars make affordable set neck tele's, let's see!

here are their models:

ML-3 RC | Chapman Guitars
ML-3 Traditional | Chapman Guitars
ML-3 Modern | Chapman Guitars

just noticed only one of them is a set neck, and if you want it with humbuckers you're gonna have a bad time...

Not entirely related to OP, but thanks so much for posting about Chapman guitars. I checked them out and the ML1 CAP10 looks SO SICK.
Put it on my wishlist.
Know anybody that's played or owned one of that model?, or an ML1?
How do they play, feel? I noticed they're Korean made.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I was just trying to razz ya. But really I don't understand how wood choice or bridge shape constitute "design philosophy". I could maybe see something like: teles must be bolt on, single coil, string through. That seems more like a design 'philosophy' than what kind of metal you make the saddles out of.

Lots of people say that the ashtray bridge is actually a very important part of what makes a Tele sound like a Tele.

I don't get why some tele purists are so adamant other guitares aren't teles. Superstrats are as far away from the original strat design as you can get and nobody comes saying "you shouldn't call those strats".

Well, you shouldn't, because they aren't :lol:

With that in mind, there is no such thing as a neck-through Tele, because Teles have to be bolt-on to be proper Teles. Neck-through Tele shaped guitars though... Carvin is the best one that springs to mind. Especially since they've changed the international shipping thing... as a UK resident, I can finally see a Carvin in my life at some point.

')