Neck Won't Relief, What To Do?

cdnpunk

Reaction score
Idk where to post this but I got the truss rod loose but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Any Ideas?
:spock:
First time doing anything with the truss rod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
So with the truss rod nut loose, the neck is too straight (or back bowed)?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have humidity issues? (i.e., is your house VERY dry?) Is this a new development, a new guitar, or something that's been an issue?

You can always go up a string gauge and see if that helps.

cdnpunk

Reaction score
I suppose it's very dry,= currently.
I've had this guitar for a while and only now just started to notice the buzz around the 12th fret and up. I don't want to put my action any higher it's already high.. so I thought if I loosened the truss rod that might fix my problem.
Not sure if the buzz was there all along, I don't really notice or look for those kinda things... I know it's stupid, but now it's annoying.
I don't have proof of purchase for this guitar, so I can't just return it if something is wrong with it.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose it's very dry,= currently.
I've had this guitar for a while and only now just started to notice the buzz around the 12th fret and up. I don't want to put my action any higher it's already high.. so I thought if I loosened the truss rod that might fix my problem.
Not sure if the buzz was there all along, I don't really notice or look for those kinda things... I know it's stupid, but now it's annoying.
I don't have proof of purchase for this guitar, so I can't just return it if something is wrong with it.

Hmm. The truss rod won't have much effect above the 14th or so fret on that guitar (I always measure relief from 2nd to 14th.)

Are you sure you don't just have a high fret above 12? How much relief do you already have, as well - your symptoms sound like too much relief, not too little.

cdnpunk

Reaction score
Hmm. The truss rod won't have much effect above the 14th or so fret on that guitar (I always measure relief from 2nd to 14th.)

Are you sure you don't just have a high fret above 12? How much relief do you already have, as well - your symptoms sound like too much relief, not too little.
Maybe I do, I guess I should take it to a guy who knows what he's doing. It's going to cost me quite a bit.:ugh:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Adding more relief won't really help that high up the neck.

How are you measuring the relief? Try to just eye-ball it by fretting at the first and last frets of the G-string and look at the gap above the 7th fret. That distance should change as you adjust the rod.

cdnpunk

Reaction score
Adding more relief won't really help that high up the neck.

How are you measuring the relief? Try to just eye-ball it by fretting at the first and last frets of the G-string and look at the gap above the 7th fret. That distance should change as you adjust the rod.
I was eye-balling it with the low E.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
If you don't know what you're doing, then absolutely take it to a tech.
I've ran into that on rare occasions and usually a truss rod adjustment and 24 hours to acclamate do the trick, but once in a great while, it may need to have the fingerboard strategically heated with some relief pressure added to it, like in the Stew Mac DVD: Advanced Fretting Volume 1. If you have never watched this done by a tech standing next to him explaining it as he goes, or if you've never done this under very strict supervision, do not attempt it. Doing it wrong can, and likely will result in irreversable damage.

')