Necrophagist New Album/ Gear Questions...

• Thread starter MuhammedSuicmez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Whatever question you might have, shoot...we shall answer!
I heard this is one of the most civilized forums out there...time to sign up!!!
martin/linear sphere...hit me up and thanks for recommending this forum!!!
Cheers,
M.

SUPER-HANDSOME MOD EDIT: Muhammed is a busy guy with a lot to do, so for the sake of everyones' sanity, read the entirety of the thread before posting so as not to asking something that's been answered ad-nauseum and be patient when waiting for a response. Common courtesy, people.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan S

Reaction score
Nice to see you here Muhammed! I saw you at Sydney for the Australian Summer Slaughter and was hanging out on the railing when you were testing out the Dual Recto. I was keen to talk a bit but security made us leave. :lol:

Good to see you have joined this forum. I am really excited to hear the new album...especially with 7 strings. :)

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
And I was thinking, "Ah, some guy is using Muhammed's name, isn't that cute?"

Well, I guess it's the real man after all. :lol:

Can we see some pics of the 7 string Xiphos so the forum can collectively wet itself again? :rofl:

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
Now that the forum has finished wetting itself :lol:

1) Tuning of the new album? A D G C F A D?

2) Are you primarily writing the album in powertab/computer based?
I remember mention of you writing 'epitaph' in powertab?

3) How do you approach recording your guitar parts in the studio?
Do you aim to play the whole song, or do you break it down into sections
and punch-in a lot. I'm still amazed at the tracking of 'epitaph'

4) Amps for the new album? Engl savage? and is there a particular microphone that you prefer for live and studio use? 57/421 etc.

Reaction score
Now that the forum has finished wetting itself :lol:

1) Tuning of the new album? A D G C F A D?

2) Are you primarily writing the album in powertab/computer based?
I remember mention of you writing 'epitaph' in powertab?

3) How do you approach recording your guitar parts in the studio?
Do you aim to play the whole song, or do you break it down into sections
and punch-in a lot. I'm still amazed at the tracking of 'epitaph'

4) Amps for the new album? Engl savage? and is there a particular microphone that you prefer for live and studio use? 57/421 etc.

@ 1) correct!
@ 2) i use guitar pro 5 for mac to write all instruments this time as opposed to powertab for guitars + guitar pro 3 for drums and bass guitar during the writing process of 'Epitaph'. the $60 are well spent on GP5.
@3) punch-ins are ok. never had a problem with it. the goal is to record the best album possible. anyone telling you the opposite is not telling the truth or is the next paganini.
@4) ENGL Savage 120. Sennheiser e609s are cool, as are SM57s...both of which i used to record the guitars for 'Epitaph'.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
Has the 7 string changed your writing style in anyway?
It's great that you're on here! I think I speak for everyone on here regardless of whether they like your music or not, when I say you're awesome!!
Also will you be making a tab book for the new album?
:welcome:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Hosgeldiniz Muhammed!
You mentioned in an interview a while back how you were trying very hard to get the low strings on your 7 to sound as clear as possible in recordings. What have you done to try and achieve that gear wise (and recording wise)?

Does Sami shaving his head have anything to do with you growing your hair? :)

Still going to use a JEM for the solos?

ps. Rocky

Reaction score
Has the 7 string changed your writing style in anyway?
It's great that you're on here! I think I speak for everyone on here regardless of whether they like your music or not, when I say you're awesome!!
Also will you be making a tab book for the new album?

thanks!!!
the 7 string has changed my writing a whole lot. it freed me of self-imposed restrictions on a 6 string due to a build up of habits and the way of looking at things while playing. it forced me to neglect the visual side of things and put more emphasis on developing my ear...

there is no plans on releasing a tabbook for the new album...there is very few tabbooks left for 'Epitaph' btw...there will be no reprint for that one either...although it has been a tremendous success...but we want to move away from the idea of charging for knowledge...at least that's the plan for now.

Reaction score
Hosgeldiniz Muhammed!
You mentioned in an interview a while back how you were trying very hard to get the low strings on your 7 to sound as clear as possible in recordings. What have you done to try and achieve that gear wise (and recording wise)?

Does Sami shaving his head have anything to do with you growing your hair? :)

ps. Rocky

Rocky 1 is still one of my very favorite movies.
to get the low A string to sound clear, we will use ENGL Savage 120s on the new album, as well as ENGL XXL cabs and a trick or 2 in addition...i have always been very creative when it comes to studio sessions, so we might come up with last minute ideas as well. Also, we are having 27" scale Ibanez guitars built by LACS right now, which will help a lot.

Sami's and my scalp hair are in no way related to each other.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, thanks for the info.
Interesting to hear you're going baritone with the new guitars too. Are you still going to be using mahogany or opting for a wood that's a little "better" for the baritone registers (ash or alder maybe?). And what about the pickups on those? Sticking to EMG (which a lot of people are here really dislike).
I'd love a swamp ash 27" xiphos!

Reaction score

for the first time in Necrophagist's album history: no!!!
but 27 fret Ibanez LACS guitars...at least me..i dont know about the guitars Sami is having built right now...could be anything. the sky's the limit!

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
o, how rude of me!! almost forgot!!
one of the things you will quickly find out about this site: we like pictures of guitars, and lots of em. as you can tell, people (including me) have already asked for pics of your xiphos.

also, are you using any sort of effects on this new album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
')