Necrophagist New Album/ Gear Questions...

• Thread starter MuhammedSuicmez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dude, Austin to San Antonio isn't so bad. I have to drive to San Antonio for pretty much any show I want to go to as well, but it's a hell of a longer trip for me. :( I'd be quite happy with the Austin/SA travel by comparison.

True, but McAllen isn't called the Live Music Capitol of the World. :barf:

Just to throw it out there guys, but if he sees retarded questions he's gonna think we're all a bunch of idiots and not come back. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already decided to not come back.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/1553433-post95.html

Seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JakeRI

Reaction score
Just read this thread.

Figured I would like to let you know that Necro has been a great inspiration of suicide for me, because i can't even comprehend some of the shit you do.

Welcome, and much respect.

P.S. Don't get frightened off by the bombardment of questions, we are all just humbled that you are here.

Reaction score
Just got home from the Summer Slaughter here in San Antonio, and I must say Necrophagist was incredible. I was lucky to be front and center where I could see all the action going down. The one thing I noticed immediately was how clean every bit of the performance was, it was very impressive. I've always been a huge Necrophagist fan, but even more so after tonight. The tone was also amazing, I saw ENGL Savages into Vader cabs with some rack gear which I'm guessing was for extra EQ. The new song using all 7 strings was awesome, although Muhammed said it was one of the weaker of the new songs.

I had the opportunity to meet him and Sami after the show, and they are really cool guys. Muhammed was very cool and kind enough to share a lot of his experience with us. One of the topics he went into was how he felt that one of the very important things to practice that isn't usually covered in instructional media these days is how to practice effectively and make every note clear with no extra noise, which really comes into play on fast difficult riffs. He talked about how even though he's been playing some of the songs for four years he still took the time before the tour to sit down and break down any parts that he felt he needed to work on and practice them slowly and identify any little parts where he would need to change any picking or fingering technique to get it clean. He stressed the importance about having every part clean as well as having the songs down because theres a huge difference from practicing it at home, to practicing with the band, to playing shows, especially at venues where you encounter technical problems like bad monitors (as they had tonight). That is some really good advice that you don't usually hear.

Another thing he mentioned which I thought was pretty cool was that touring with Marco Minnemann had made some guys like Steve Vai and Allan Holdsworth ask Marco "you're touring with these guys? ...death metal?" and then they actually listened to it and said they really liked the music but just didn't like the vocals.

He also talked a bit about the new album and how he wanted to write it when he was ready and really felt like it, so he could put 100% of his energy into it. I totally agree with that and think its really cool of him to not worry about any pressure from labels about putting out a CD and take the time to do it right when he's ready. He said he's writing all the new material more by ear, not worrying about scales or keys. He said after analyzing the new song to figure out what was really goin on he realized there were parts where all the instruments were in different scales and there were like 10 key changes and some strange non-western scales going on. I can't wait to hear the rest when its ready

Someone asked him about classical influence, and he mentioned that he loves Bach particularly because he is consistently awesome, whereas he felt Beethoven and Mozart had some good pieces and some not so good.

I also brought up sevenstring.org and he told me he'd probably check back on here to answer some questions in the next couple days, I think its pretty cool that he comes on here at all, being busy on tour and all. I'd hope we can try to make it easier on him by keeping some of the less important questions out or at least not repeating the same ones that have already been answered.

I asked Sami about the guitar he was using on tour which he said was a custom RGa 7 string model he purchased for the tour, and he was talking to Ibanez about getting a couple custom 7 string guitars built to his specifications which would be on RGa bodies.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me and the other fans Muhammed, I really appreciate it! I admire not only your musical writing and playing but your discipline and patience, which really shows through in your social character as well. It has inspired me to not only become a better musician but a better person as well!

Anyway thats my tale of the night. Its not every day you get to meet one of your heros and he's way cooler than you expected!

My questions:

What gear is in the rack live? Will this be used in the studio as well?
What picks do you use?

Attachments

• Muhammed.jpg
    Muhammed.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Sami.jpg
    Sami.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 274

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
Yo brutha Colin, excellent show review and good questions man! I'm sad I couldn't be there, sounds like you had a great time!

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Welcome to the sit, dude. Keep up the awesome work - my introduction to your music was "Seven" and "Stabwound" and I was just like "Seriously? These guys are fucking ridiculous!" and loved every bit of it.

Crometeef

Reaction score
hey muhammad. i think most of the questions have been answered. me and my other guitar player cry out of pure jealousy when we hear the solo on "Fermented Offal Discharge"

i ::wub:: you !!

NecroSamist

Necrophagist fanboy
Reaction score
Wow, it's really you. My screenname is named after your band. Saw you guys in Memphis TN, on the Cannibal Corpse/Dying Fetus tour. Got pictures with the rest of the band, but you'd already gone back to the bus. That was an awesome night. Welcome aboard!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Really late on this one, Muhammad... but glad to see you on here. Necrophagist is one of the few decent death metal bands around these days. Keep up the good work. :yesway:

crayzee

Treehugger
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum! COOL thing having you joined this place, keep on doing your awesome work and don't forget to tour Germany...! :hbang:

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay. I have a few questions concerning the album(s)

1) Prior to writing for the upcoming album, have you discovered any new influences that you can hear coming out in your arrangements?

2) The "other" band you were talking about doing with Marco Minnemann, is that still going to happen? If so, will you be using the same gear that you use with Necrophagist?

3) Have you ever considered having a guest appearance on your albums? If so, who?

Reaction score
Someone just needs to conduct a complete interview for the main page when he gets off touring. This might stop the onrush of repeated questions.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Someone just needs to conduct a complete interview for the main page when he gets off touring. This might stop the onrush of repeated questions.

I agree. The question is if Muhammed will agree to this...

It looks like we scared him away :lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He'd probably agree to do a one on one interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')