Necrophagist sort-of update

• Thread starter Goro923
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Im 99% sure if this record will exist, it will suck terribly. Epitaph was already mediocre, and they wont go back to the Onset of Putrefaction sound. Muhammed moved on apparently, and it wont be as good as their first album.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
It's been so long, I don't think I care any more.

I think I'm starting to move on from liking weedly-wee tech death altogether, there's only a few bands out there that really do it for me.

If Necrophagist DO actually make a new album (I'm really not holding my breath) it would have to have evolved significantly from Epitaph, which is actually extremely boring in more than about five-minute doses (IMO anyway). If they can progress further and make something with more interest in it, that'd be cool. If it were to happen (if), I'd still check it out anyway just to see what the nine-years-and-counting wait was for.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I used to jam the original recording of Onset with the fake drums, and I saw them live (with Arsis, I believe) several years ago, and they were very tight, but I never was huge into them. After all this time, I'm surprised anyone has managed to maintain a boner for them.

If they put out another album, I'll check it out for curiosity's sake, but stringing people along like this with vague references to a new album is some ego-stroking bullshit, if you ask me.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I love how the pendulum swings on guitar forums. Nothing is discrete, nothing is set in stone, everything changes, nothing stays in vogue forever, the masses liking something comes and goes. When Epitaph came out, people couldn't believe what they were hearing. Right now we're at an era where we're believing that Necrophagist aren't incredible. Like all things, this will pass.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I think by ingredients, i think theyre talking about maybe equipment for them to record the album at home maybe? One of my friends told me that the reason necrophagist hasnt released anything after they "announced" in fall of 2007, is because theyre locked into a contract with their label, and trying to force their label to kick them out. not exactly sure if thats the case though, just some hear say that i never varified. but if someone could verify that, well then there we go!

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I dont know about you, but Epitapth was never incredible for me. Onset, yes, Epitaph, nope.

MikeK

Reaction score
Muhammed had said in an interview years ago that the material was complete and being turned into the label. What ever happened to that I wonder?

Haven't thought about them in recent years though, figured they'd called it quits and a new album would never be heard.

Astral Worm

Reaction score
Muhammed had said in an interview years ago that the material was complete and being turned into the label. What ever happened to that I wonder?

Haven't thought about them in recent years though, figured they'd called it quits and a new album would never be heard.

I was Just fixing to mention this as well!

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Muhammed just grew up. In the time since Epitaph he's gone back to school, gotten a degree and, given his lack of musical output, is probably working on a career related to his degree. Good for him, really. Music isn't the most stable career choice, even for someone as gifted as Muhammed.

music is barely a career choice, if you are lucky you are one of the biggest bands in metal and make slightly more money than your average office drone. if you aren't lucky you are constantly on the verge of being homeless

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
music is barely a career choice, if you are lucky you are one of the biggest bands in metal and make slightly more money than your average office drone. if you aren't lucky you are constantly on the verge of being homeless

It's certainly a choice, just not the best typically. ;)

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
stone-cold-laughing.gif

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I wonder if all this stalling was to wait until the end of a record contract. Perhaps they could not release music under a different label for 10 years, and Muhammed is waiting it out for a better deal. That could explain all of the hush-hush, considering he was quoted of having a new album release scheduled in 2009.

Nevertheless, I'm so glad to hear this news. I revisit Epitaph every year and I still think it is simply a masterpiece. At times I'm pessimistic and say I wouldn't care or not, but I think we're all excited for a new Necrophagist album....deep down in hearts.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
TBH I'm pretty surprised by the amount of trash talking Necrophagist on SSO in this thread. I think Epitaph is one of the best tech. death metal albums ever, and probably a huge influence on all this super technical stuff coming out now.

SD83

Reaction score
If they release a new record, I'll definitly give it a try. Epitaph is one of the rare tech-death records I like, except for the boring vocals, I couldn't care less for Onset. No point in trying to figure out what it might sound like without any further hints I guess.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
TBH I'm pretty surprised by the amount of trash talking Necrophagist on SSO in this thread. I think Epitaph is one of the best tech. death metal albums ever, and probably a huge influence on all this super technical stuff coming out now.

I don't see any trash talking, just people joking around about how long it is taking given that they've talked about a new album for over 5 (?) years now.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Ah well...if it doesn't come out, I can be happy with Onset of Putrefaction & Epitaph.

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
Necrophagist was great and if they can pull off a great new album more power to them. So many awesome bands inspired by what they did. I would love to hear more and even better if they find a way to evolve. I think it's fair to hold doubts, but also be excited for the potential.

')