Need a cabinet for Orange Rocker 15 Terror

• Thread starter Wiltonauer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve decided to get an Orange Rocker 15 Terror head. I haven’t had a tube amp in a while, but I tried one of these recently and really liked how it sounded, especially at low volumes. I need a cab, though.

I’ve got a big, heavy, closed-back 2x12 combo with an external amp input the will let me run it as either a 16- or 4-ohm speaker load. The speakers are currently an Eminence Swamp Thang and an Eminence Texas Heat, each 8 ohms.

I also have a Boss Katana Head Mk. II and a Joyo Zombie II that I’ve been playing into this “cab”.

I’m open to suggestions. Since the Rocker 15 Terror is just a metal chassis, I think it would be fun to have an orange Tolex Orange cab. I’ve played the Orange Crush CR PRO 412 with a couple of heads and liked it pretty well. Voice of the World speakers in that one.

I also like open-back cabs for some things. I like the looks of the Mesa Fillmore cabs, and of course the Recto cabs on the closed-back side. (I used to have a Recto 2x12 cab that I liked a lot.) I’m not afraid to combine or rewire cabs to get suitable load impedances.

I could potentially want to throw any kind of amp, pedal, or guitar at this cab, and any style of music, but my priorities would be blues, classic rock, classic metal. 1980s thrash is about as modern as I get. I don’t need for this cab to do all those things well, just primarily bring out what that Orange head does well. I would probably eventually buy one or two other cabs to shore up other sounds and use with other heads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Im lost.

What cab do you want?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im lost.

What cab do you want?

Probably an Orange, but one that will make the most of the Rocker 15 Terror in a smallish room. If the mid-price Orange cabs aren’t competitive, then maybe a Mesa. Either way, I’d probably rewire it so that I could run it at either 4 or 16 ohms.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On second thought, I might not be doing exactly that if it’s a 2x12 with 16-ohm speakers.

Also, did Mesa recently overhaul their cabinet lineup and condense a bunch of open-back and Recto models into just a few of each?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably just get the cheap 4x12 with Orange’s News of the Weird speakers. I won’t know any difference while I’m “playing sold-out shows to the posters on my walls”. (Don’t know who came up with that, but it says it all.)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably just get the cheap 4x12 with Orange’s News of the Weird speakers. I won’t know any difference while I’m “playing sold-out shows to the posters on my walls”. (Don’t know who came up with that, but it says it all.)
You’re close enough to laney/marshall/orange/engl just find the cheapest 212/412 in good condition you can find and go.

Thats how I have 3 cabs :lol:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You’re close enough to laney/marshall/orange/engl just find the cheapest 212/412 in good condition you can find and go.

Thats how I have 3 cabs :lol:
This would be a great idea if I weren’t squeamish about buying used cabinets. I worry that someone could swap out the speakers in a closed cabinet, and checking them would be impractical in most cases. Also I had a used 4x12 with a G12T-75 that started buzzing after a while.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
This would be a great idea if I weren’t squeamish about buying used cabinets. I worry that someone could swap out the speakers in a closed cabinet, and checking them would be impractical in most cases. Also I had a used 4x12 with a G12T-75 that started buzzing after a while.
You get pics of the speakers and make sure the back is off for in-person inspection when you pick it up.

Buzz is solved by tightening the screws.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You get pics of the speakers and make sure the back is off for in-person inspection when you pick it up.

The idea has merit.

Buzz is solved by tightening the screws.

Not that time, it wasn’t. I took all four speakers out of the cabinet and tested them free-air at moderate volumes with a clean guitar amp, then with a hi-fi amp pushing test tones. The same speaker buzzed, and the other three didn’t. Replaced speaker, never had a problem again.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did Mega/Booger really discontinue the Millard Fillmore cabs?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
N.A.D.

IMG_3015.jpeg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
No dice. I had a 1960A once; I only need two of those damned G12-T75s this time around. Therefore, it will be a 1936 when I get another Marshall cab.
Gonna spend the same money for half the speakers :2c:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I only want half the speakers. And I don’t want to be replacing one or both of them in six months because of some hidden issue.
Been on forums a loong time, thats not really a thing imo.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been on forums a loong time, thats not really a thing imo.
It happened with one of the speakers in my old 1960A I bought used. While I’ll never know what really caused the failure, the speaker would have been in warranty if I’d bought it new.

')