Need a good backup.

• Thread starter Bramerstein
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a backup 7 string of low cost and great quality. New or used Idc. I have a Ibanez RG7321 with an EMG-81 and today I finally realized I needed a backup. String broke through half of our set and fucked everything. I tune to drop Ab and I have 6's in that tuning but I wrote stuff recently using the High Eb. Any recommendations on a good 7 string replacement at a reasonable price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

clouds

Reaction score
Perhaps any used 7*21? Of if you wanna go cheaper new, check out the Dean Vendetta 7 or the Cort Viva 7 (may be wrong on the latter).

Reaction score
I shouldn't of said cheap, around $400-$700. The 7321 is the cheapest guitar I own but plays excellent. Theres really not alot to choose from on Guitarcenter so I came here. I was thinking of an Agile Interceptor pro 725 but I don't know how the neck feels or is shaped.

I probably wont buy another 7321 new because of the new bridge. I played one at GC today I HATE it. It's like they added a huge piece of metal exactly where I palm mute.

Dan

Reaction score
I really want to go with agile but I don't know how their necks feel.

Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB Tribal Green at RondoMusic.com

If anyone has that guitar or any interceptor pro can you shed on light on it?

What is it compared to a Wizard II-7 Neck?

Thanks.

Fuller in your hand, kinda in between an Ibanez and a Schecter i'd say. Quality is far FAR superior to that of a 7321 though dude. You'd end up probably using the 7321 as your backup :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The neck on the Agile will be thicker and rounder as far as back contour goes, and the fretboard will be rounder as well, but not by much. The frets on the Agile will be slightly smaller as well. It's a very different neck, not exactly a bad thing, but something to consider.

I'm going to have to echo what Clouds said and recommend a used RG7621 or RG7421. You can find them used for around $300 and they'll perform amazingly well, possibly better than your current RG7321. The RG7621s and RG7421s were the high quality, MIJ predecessors to the RG7321.

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
Lol.. if you're expecting a wizard type shred neck don't go with an agile. I have that same guitar with a maple fretboard and it's more akin to a schecter than any ibanez. That said, the neck feels slightly thinner and flatter than the schecters I've played.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
craigslist or ebay man... There are tons of Schecter guitars on there everyday, any location hahaha

Reaction score
HATE shecters. The RGa7 looks like a 7321 with body contour and binding. I cant stand the flat body s7420's. I'll keep an Eye out for a RG7621 & 421.

Dammit I want an agile interceptor pro 725 with a wizard II-7 neck!.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cant stand the flat body s7420's.

Both the back and front of the S-series guitars are contoured. :scratch:

1.jpg

Reaction score
^ those are just not my thing. After owning my SG custom I don't like the thinness of tone from a thin body.

Why does ibanez not have a huge selection of current production guitars?

jl-austin

Reaction score
Well, you could wait for the RGD7321, if you like your RG7321, these will be super cool.

Or you could go with a RG7321f (the flamed maple top model), or like someone else said, an RGA7.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ those are just not my thing. After owning my SG custom I don't like the thinness of tone from a thin body.

Why does ibanez not have a huge selection of current production guitars?

Oh, I see. I thought you meant flat, as in the surface, not thin. :lol:

They currently have about a dozen 7-strings in production, more than they've ever had in production at a single time.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
Second-hand RG1527s can be had for peanuts nowadays. I'd consider picking one up, blocking the trem, and using the 7321 as a backup. I probably shouldn't have sold mine.

Last edited:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
LTD H-207. Arch top ash body with maple neck. Nice and bright and NOT basswood for a change. I've been seing them pop up for $250 here and there. TOM bridge not floyd, if that worries you.

')