Need a new Interface

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Right, the title pretty much suggests what I'm gonna talk about here. Recently I've noticed that my current recording setup, consisting of my Line 6 Spider IV 75 plugged into my current interface which is a Line 6 UX1, going straight into my PC, just doesn't seem to cut it.

I can't really get a nice, clean tone out of it, which might be just me or not.

So yeah, I'm looking for something better. I've thought about getting a PCI-Card, but I don't think it would be the best solution to my relatively simple recording.

Oh, and I'm not planning on paying a crapload of money either, so if you can suggest some interfaces for a reasonable amount of money, I'm all ears!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The UX1 being cheap doesn't mean it's bad, I bet the issue is more about plugging your amp into it, it's not really designed for that.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
How exactly is plugging my amp into the UX1 a problem to you ? Just asking, since I don't see a problem.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Depends on the amp man, as far as I remember Spiders have a headphone or recording out etc which should work just fine. Not the same as when working with a head or something.

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB would be a great choice. But really - the problem is going to be somewhere else. Is there a big difference in sound between amp>headphones and the same headphones listening to the recording? Make sure you're using the Line in and not the Guitar in on the UX1 also

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using the Line Out/Headphones jack, which works fine, it's just that the UX1 is designed for use with the Pod Farm plugin me thinks.

Thing is, a buddy of mine is using the same method, just with an older PCI card I think, and his results are superior in any way. I'm not sure about the actual specs of the UX1, sampling rate etc. I just think it's the interface itself. I can get fine sound with Pod Farm, but well, once I crank the gain up to actually get a metal sound, Pod Farm just sucks. And since I can get a fine tone with my Amp, I figured I'd plug it into my Interface.

I'll note the Focusrite for now, thanks.

Edit: What exactly is the difference between the line in and the guitar in ?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Nothing to do with Podfarm, it records a signal you can use in any way you want. The line input is not designed for use with Podfarm. I don't know why Podfarm is being involved here at all. That's an amp sim for use on a DI guitar signal, guitar plugged straight into the Instrument input.

You already HAVE an amped sound from the Spider which you are trying to record. You want to record that unnafected, which means you want to use the Line Input and not apply podfarm.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I need to apply Pod Farm because otherwise I don't get a sound, might be because I'm using the guitar input. I'm not running any effects though, so Pod Farm shouldn't even mess with my Tone. Unless I'm terribly wrong here. :p

Edit: Guessed so, right. Gonna try using the line input and see if it's any better.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ok as long as Podfarm is empty :)
But yes you should use the Line input because the amp has a Line output.
I've never used one so I have no idea why you couldn't use it without Pod farm. Should just be able to open your DAW, set the UX1 Line Input as a recording device and press record.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yeah, anyway. I still don't think it'll improve the tone itself, so...sure it can't be the interface itself ?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I doubt it, to start to actually hear a difference with interfaces you're going to have to shell a lot of money.
Using the guitar in with a line level signal likely is the source of your issue. Just trying to avoid you spending money for nothing and test everything beforehand. ^^

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Indeed, test everything. A cheap line input isn't going to cause PROBLEMS. It might not be pristine, sure, but the decent inputs on the Focusrite aren't going to fix anything.

Reactions: Chi

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Better solutions then ? I mean PCI cards and such ? I've seen people getting great results with rather inexpensive equipment, there's gotta be a catch.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
But yes comparing the recording to the amp signal on headphones is going to be the easiest test here.

EDIT: Just seen your reply. You wont know if there's a catch until you check everything out on your setup :)

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Of course, I'll do that right away once I get the chance. : )

Thanks for the help so far.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
No problem :)
Whilst using the Line input will be the correct thing to do, it shouldn't make THAT much difference. We just need to confirm that the signal you're recording is indeed vastly different from that leaving the amp, then we know there's a problem somewhere/the interface is crap (unlikely).
I'm willing to bet the recorded tone is pretty much the same as that leaving the amp. Direct Out tone from amps is often not the best sound, and certainly will sound NOTHING like it does in the room to you - much the same as when you close mic an amp. Providing you find everything is in order, the tone probably just needs some work to be right for recording :)
If you can post a clip when you get a chance that would be great.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Right, as I expected I don't get any sound when I plug it in through the line input of the UX1, which is weird...

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did. I might be retarded at times but I'm not a total noob when it comes to that stuff. :D

I might be just missing something very basic, though.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hmm, without using the interface it's hard to say..Is there a software that comes between the UX1 and the DAW, most likely accessible down by the Windows Clock in the taskbar and such. You can sometimes mute faders and stuff for each channel in an interfaces software mixer.

')