Need a new Interface

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Naw, pretty much everything is set up logically. I mean it's not too complicated, the UX 1 only has two inputs, one for stereo and one for mono. I just plug the amp into the stereo (tried mono, too) input and that goes into my PC running with Reaper.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Well lookie there, got it working, but it's got some latency issues even with Asio4all. >_<

The sound is, as you expected, pretty much the same, so I'm not sure if it's worth using the line input in that case. I'll get a sample in a minute, so you can get an idea of the sound. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Can't see why there would have been a latency change..what's the buffer setting?
It's definitely worth using the line input as the electronics that way are correct. Even if the tone is the same there will be level/noise differences or something. Just the correct thing to do :)

I expect that you are just going through the same struggle that everyone here does when they realise that recorded guitar tone is a fucking difficult thing, haha!

Once again, double check by comparing the sound to headphones plugged straight into the amp. It should be the same.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I suppose the latency change is because I've got to use the monitoring while recording on Reaper now, which wasn't the case when running through Pod Farm. (I suppose I can run Pod Farm and the UX1's own Asio regardless of what input I use, I'll check that) And well, even when using Asio4All which I'm using for Piano recordings, I've got a bit of latency.

I really appreciate you helping me, though. Oh, and I checked the tone with my crappy studio headphones plugged straight into my amp as well, same tone. I guess the UX1 does its job fine.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hmm..I don't think it should be any different. Pod Farm is already the signal into the computer. It shouldn't change from there. Probably your Reaper buffer settings man, get it down as low as it can go. 128 or so should be inaudible and allow you to run a basic mix on most setups. You're at an advantage CPU wise because you aren't using amp sims.

That's good - yeah the UX1 should be perfectly usable.

I guess it's now just a case of reading up about recording tone (the basic low gain+high mids 'rule'). EQing in the mix, such as high pass and low pass filters, and so on.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
My method of using Pod Farm with the Line input works. Though, putting the buffer size down to 128 seems to work just fine as well for now, guess I can work with that. Thing is, you can run Pod Farm without loading anything, it's just serving as some sort of program in between. But well, I'll try around with both.

Funny thing, I can actually stand my tone again. I've been doing a mixtest lately and probably used too much gain on the guitar, I've been working on it a long time, guess that's how I got biased that much.

Feeling like a bigger retard every second. :) Thanks a lot for your help dude. Let me see if I can do a quick sample without anything fancy, just the pure guitar tone to help you get an idea of it.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep that's the correct method to be using :) Sure there's a thousand ways to go about things, but if you want to record and aren't using Podfarm for tone, just input to your DAW and set the buffer in your DAW low.
Good that everything is working correctly haha :) No problem!

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
There you go: Pickles Normal&EQ by P-Faith on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Took a bit longer since my Reaper decided to randomly crash and bury over the first recording. Just something real simple and stupid for reference, cheers. Oh and don't mind the sloppy playingm it's like 3 AM in Germany. T_T Also, I do notice a bit less noise using the line input. Might be just me, but I feel it.

And thanks for helping once again. :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah definitely no tech issues there. The tone isn't even that bad either! I quite like it :)

')