Need a new laptop. Don't know shit about computers & could use some help

broj15

Reaction score
Sorry if this is better suited for the computers & electronics sub so if mods wanna move it then feel free.
Also, I know that this info can probably be found with enough research, and I've been googling all day, but I just wanted to double check everything before I start spending money, so here goes:
What programs & hardware I plan on using:
- Reaper (latest version)
- EzDrummer (latest version)
- Zoom R24 as my interface for recording various sound sources
- maybe a cab sim/IR or whatever ppl use with a preamp->interface set up on rare occasions when I can't record at my practice space.

What I need to do:
Basically just program drum tracks with EzDrummer, rip audio samples from YouTube, random videos, etc., record some tracks with the zoom (guitar, synth, tape loops, field recordings, etc.) and just arrange it/"mix" it in reaper. Really I'm just trying to do some relatively basic stuff (demos, lo-fi, harsh noise wall, black metal, grind, etc.)
This laptop will basically be dedicated to music production only, and (if I'm being honest with myself) probably downloading steam just so I can play Dark Souls, but that's less important.

Now, according to what I've read this is what kind of bare minimum requirements I think I need:
- windows 7 or better (no particular affinity for windows. A Mac is just way outside my budget)
- recent gen i5 processor or equivalent
- 8-16gb ram
-SSD. Apparently you can get by with a 7200rpm HDD, but SSD allows for faster rendering? Not to sure what any of that means. Like I said I am a complete beginner when it comes to this.
- probably want HDMI, USB, SD card reader, and a couple USB ports

My budget is about $350 so I know I'm definitely looking at something used and I have my eye on a couple nice refurbished laptops, but I just wanna make sure the specs I listed would be sufficient to do what I wanna do, or if something seems like overkill let me know. Thanks in advance y'all.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm using a 2012 Macbook running High Sierra with an SSD drive and 8GB ram, works great since I only use it for live shows and to record vocals. Total cost was about $300.

broj15

Reaction score
I'm using a 2012 Macbook running High Sierra with an SSD drive and 8GB ram, works great since I only use it for live shows and to record vocals. Total cost was about $300.

Hell yeah. I'm looking at a refurbed, but good cosmetic condition Dell laptop right now. Clean install of windows 10, 16gb ram, SSD, and 2.7ghz i5 dual core processor for ~$330. Comes with a 6 month warranty too.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
For what you have to do, if you limit the amount of tracks or you freeze them/render, even a very old PC could do.
I produced a whole album, 20 tracks per song, with EZ drummer, EZ Mix 2, and a few other effects on an Athlon X2 and 4GB of RAM.
Get an SSD and you will be happy.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
any computer made in the last 10 years should be fine. Just make sure it has an ssd. In the PC world HP makes the most stable laptops followed by Asus. I had a brand new Lenovo crap out on my in a year 2 weeks after the warranty ended (no, lenovo did not help me out!).

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I won't give any specific specs but yeah, any laptop made in the last 5 years would be more than sufficient. Older than that and you're looking at being bottlenecked by processor and RAM capabilities (newer programs like Neural's stuff are very RAM intensive). Processing and RAM capability make a huge difference for video editing (same with SSD vs HD). If you're doing multitrack recording then more RAM/a better processor helps. If not then you can forgo them. With a lot of the bigger sized laptops you can swap RAM in at a later date. Same thing with upgrading SSD. Past that you're pretty locked in to whatever specs the laptop has.

Desktops are obviously not portable like a laptop but they're far more modular, and you can usually pick up more powerful desktops for cheaper. I've been using the same case for almost 10 years but the components inside are completely different from when I started.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree. SSD makes life so much better. It's dumb not even to consider it when you can get them cheap in laptops. I bought a used HP for $200 with a 500gb ssd.

Didnt say it isnt better, I said you dont need it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Doesnt even need the ssd.
I disagree.
IMO you need the SSD if you're on Windows 10. 10 does so much stuff in the background that if all you've got is a spinning disk, you're at the mercy of any random Windows process monopolizing disk use.

Outside of that, recording isn't that resource intensive unless you're working with a lot of tracks, a lot of virtual instruments, etc. It's been said already, any PC from the last 5 years (I'd stretch that to 10 for desktops) could handle it. Just aim for the best specs overall that you can find for your budget.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I never said you said it isn't better......reading comprehension

Yes, you lack it :lol:. I said you dont need it.

You disagreed.

He still doesn't need it.

:shrug:. Been doing 5 years of recording without one. So have others.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Yes, you lack it :lol:. I said you dont need it.

You disagreed.

He still doesn't need it.

:shrug:. Been doing 5 years of recording without one. So have others.

Wrong. I think it makes life easier and it helps you work faster. They are cheap now and easily fit in the OP's budget. I'm simply supporting my opinion, that doesn't equate to me saying you think it is inferior.

Last edited:

broj15

Reaction score
Ayy thanks for all the advice guys. It's much appreciated.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong. I think it makes life easier and it helps you work faster. They are cheap now and easily fit in the OP's budget. I'm simply supporting my opinion, that doesn't equate to me saying you think it is inferior.

Again, not disagreeing that ssd isnt the better way to go. Simply saying its not mandatory. Yet you continue to say Im wrong :lol:.

Either way OP has what he needs to know.

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
My main mixing computer still doesnt have an SSD. I need to switch, takes like a minute to boot up.

OP, any i series laptop you get from the last 5 years is about 4.278 googlezillion times more powerful than the things I mixed hundreds of albums on. And since you are talking REAPER, you are looking at running as efficient as you possible could.

')