Need advice on high-end guitars!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I have a Mesa Triple Rectifier that never gets used since I don't gig anymore, and I bought a pod hd pro (actually super surprised with how awesome that thing is!). I am thinking about getting rid of it and getting a high-end guitar, such as a Skervesen, BRJ, strandberg, mayones, etc. I'm leaning toward a Skervy or a BRJ because I love their style.

I know a lot of people on this forum have owned guitars like this, so I wanted some opinions on high-end brands. Are they worth the crazy price tag? To give you an idea of what I am used to playing, I have an Agile Interceptor Pro 727 and a Schecter Loomis sig, and I love both of those guitars. I like scales around 26.5-27" for 7 strings and wouldn't mind something fanned 27-28 for an 8 string. Any and all info is appreciated. I am basically trying to figure out if a guitar like a Skervesen will totally blow my mind, or will it just basically be a small upgrade with a fancy name attached to it?

Thanks in advance everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stg

Reaction score
It's hard to beat a Carvin DC7x for the price in the USA, Top quality, Lots of options, quick build times around 2 months.
If you want something Carvin doesn't offer go with another semi-custom/custom.
Skervesen can do longer scale 8's than Carvin plus multi-scale and wait times are not too bad around 6-7 months. They are in Europe, import charges??
strandberg for headless multi-scales
Mayones makes sense for Europe where Carvins cost a lot more.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
he's+right+you+know.jpg

Reaction score
This all makes sense! haha. Tbh I just like the style of Skervesen, but I also love BRJ, so I may contact him and see what he can do for me as well. I do like carvin though I'll have to check them out.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wait, you're going to contact BRJ? Good luck with that. Have you been living under a rock the last few years? :lol: Bernie took everyone's money and closed up shop. No one has any direct contact with him anymore - and not for lack of trying.

7stg

Reaction score
Funny, I now have this strange overwhelming urge to go buy another Carvin dc7x. I heard ringing and looked at my phone and noticed it had dialed 800-854-2234. Before I could hang up, a friendly voice was offering to take my order.

Reaction score
Wow I had no idea honestly. Like I said I have no experience with hand made stuff and other high end stuff. That's messed up. Well forget that idea! Haha

As for the carvin...it's definitely possible. The only thing about them that bothers me is you buy a "custom" guitar and then the first thing you have to do is swap the pickups out. I'm an EMG guy (yeah yeah yeah bring on the flaming and the misha mansoor arguments for why BKPs are better). I just prefer actives and I love the 57/66 set. I feel like if I am spending over $1000 on a guitar I should have a choice of what pickups it has. Does carvin let you choose at all? All the ones I see on here have carvin's own pickups.

7stg

Reaction score
As for the carvin...it's definitely possible. The only thing about them that bothers me is you buy a "custom" guitar and then the first thing you have to do is swap the pickups out. I'm an EMG guy (yeah yeah yeah bring on the flaming and the misha mansoor arguments for why BKPs are better). I just prefer actives and I love the 57/66 set. I feel like if I am spending over $1000 on a guitar I should have a choice of what pickups it has. Does carvin let you choose at all? All the ones I see on here have carvin's own pickups.

Carvin has been known to install other pickups you provide as option 50. They do have actives of their own, but pickups are subjective and personal taste. Pickups are the biggest impact on how an electric guitar sounds, so it is important to get what you are happy with.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with Skerv, I have carvin dc700h as well, and I never play it.

Reaction score
Yeah if they'll install whatever I want as an option, then I'll definitely consider it. Gotta have my EMGs :) Skervs look really nice too. I remember there was a fanned 8 string up here and it was green/black. So sexy. My favorite color, and it was a sweet axe

oracles

Reaction score
Carvin will do it an as option 50. They have the edge for me here as well, in that they produce a consistent product, they have a proven track record of it, as well as having renowned customer service , even for people with option 50 instruments and ones that are years old, and they do it all in a faster turn around time.

Skerv don't have a history of producing consistent instruments, and there's some well documented examples of less than stellar customer service. Coupled with the import charges, I wouldn't risk it with them, when there's other EU based custom builders at a similar price point who have a proven track record of building consistency.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
You might want to look into Blackwater guitars, OP. I've not played any of the brands named exept for Carvin, but those Blackwater guitars always look killer on various ngd threads.

gclef

Reaction score
Wow I had no idea honestly. Like I said I have no experience with hand made stuff and other high end stuff. That's messed up. Well forget that idea! Haha

Look at this a different way.

Carvin builds you a guitar for a price that is way less than comparable builds from other companies. (Compare a decked out ct6 to a prs to get an idea).
Now, is it so horrible to add the pickups of your choice on top of that? You still come out ahead in the end. It is just and extra step.

I would go this route personally. Sure, they can install on an option 50, but if the guitar is dead sounding or feeling, you are stuck with it. You wont be able to return it if you don't like the top either. I mean, you will have to buy the pickups and send them in anyway, right? And EMGS are super easy to install with the plug and play connectors.

Fear

Reaction score
Another brand to consider is a KxK, either in stock (in their store), or slightly used. I love my Sii-7. If you want to have your own built to your specs, my top recommendation would be Carvin since you are in the states. Mayones is great, but I think they are way overpriced. I also agree about sending Carvin your own pickups. I just suggested the same thing in another thread.

pel

Reaction score
Carvin has been known to install other pickups you provide as option 50. They do have actives of their own, but pickups are subjective and personal taste. Pickups are the biggest impact on how an electric guitar sounds, so it is important to get what you are happy with.

Just remember that Carvin's option 50 voids the 10 days return policy.

Also, if you decide to change the pickups yourself, be prepared to work a little on the pickup route if you choose a model with direct mount pickups. On my DC727, I had to widen the holes a little bit and drill new holes to screw my dimarzio in it.

7stg

Reaction score
Just remember that Carvin's option 50 voids the 10 days return policy.

Also, if you decide to change the pickups yourself, be prepared to work a little on the pickup route if you choose a model with direct mount pickups. On my DC727, I had to widen the holes a little bit and drill new holes to screw my dimarzio in it.

Was yours a older model with c26 pickups? A couple years ago they enlarged the size and it's supposed to be universal and they moved to d26 pickups.

Latest posts

')