Need advice on high-end guitars!!!

pel

Reaction score
Was yours a older model with c26 pickups? A couple years ago they enlarged the size and it's supposed to be universal and they moved to d26 pickups.

My Carvin is a 2012. my CR/LF combo was ~2-5 mm wider than the hole. I ended up sanding with a dremel to widen the hole.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
To answer the original question - I often play my 'inexpensive' guitars and enjoy them a lot. So I'll be doing something on my Schecter or Fender or even my Agile which are nicely set up and be like, this is awesome! Why did I spend thousands of dollars on a Suhr, again?

Then I pick up the Suhr and instantly remember why.

I was NOT a believer in the super expensive stuff until I got the Suhr. Now I don't think everybody should feel that they have to have the high end, perfectly made boutique guitar. Totally unnecessary for practically everyone. But make no mistake, even in the land of diminishing returns, it's clear why there are price differences. I have a Carvin on order with the new Kiesel pickups, and I'm very eager to see where that guitar falls against the guitars I've played so far.

It's worth noting, also, that I've tried a number of guitars and thought, why is this worth more than half what they're asking? Have had that experience with Ibanez JEMs and a variety of PRS guitars. Varies from person to person, I suppose. Back when GC had their big PRS clearance, I went with two grand allocated to a new guitar. Left empty handed.

that short guy

Reaction score
Honestly Carvin is the way too go. I, like you, use the 57/66 set in all my guitars. I paid just over 2k for my DC800 just over a year ago and at the time I was a bkp guy (is why it has passives in it in my sig) and I didn't hesitate to pay more to for the pickups I wanted because the guitar was that good and played way better than the mayones regius I owned that cost double what the carvinv did.

And just in case none of that made sense because I've been awake for far too long, don't sweat the pick up swap if you get a Carvin. Their stock pickups aren't bad and the guitar is well worth the hassle of swapping the pups

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Work up to it. I have a (SE) PRS Santana, and a (core) PRS Starla and Mira. I can instantly tell the difference when a real guitarist plays one, and then the other, but I'm beginner enough that I can't tell the difference when I'm playing both of them back to back.

The gear does not make you, you make the gear. Give Clapton or Gilmour any old guitar, and they'll still sound like Clapton or Gilmour, respectively.

Learn to play first -- become a gearwhore/tonehound/whatever after.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Whether a "high end" brand is worth it is a completely subjective thing.

The problem with this is that with many boutique builders you are unlikely to be able to try one out before throwing down a considerable chunk of cash on something that you may not like (and will lose a bunch of that cash on trying to resell 2 months later).

What you need to do is work out what your requirements are and work back from there. The manufacturers that you have tagged cover a very wide range of ground.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I'm one of the "lucky" ones; I have enough disposable income that I was able to make a few mistakes regarding "high-end" guitars. My first was a Carvin DC747: the mistake wasn't that I bought a Carvin. On the contrary, that was the one thing I did right with that build. The mistake was not knowing what options I really wanted and ended up just pot-shotting my first build. Then I played around with an Agile 8-string, Got a Carvin bass, a Carvin 8-string, then my Music Man JP13 7...

Long story short, I didn't get it perfect the first time. I did well the first time, just not perfect. I learned that I LOVE stainless steel frets. I learned that I LOVE 7-string (yes, better than 8s). I learned that I love inlays (especially block abalone), and I learned that I love passive pups and the ability to split the coils of a humbucker. I love piezo. I've learned that both neck-though and bolt neck guitars can be wonderful...

But I know most people don't have thousands of dollars to just toss to the wind; which is why I'm so adamant about certain brands and options when people come on here asking advice.

Let my wasted money be your helping hand :)

That said, I ain't sellin' even any of my mistakes unless I absolutely HAVE to :)

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Are high end guitars worth it? It really depends. From a play-ability standpoint, going from $500 to $1500-$2000 is more than worth the money to me. It's almost like going from a Squier or Epiphone to a USA Fender or Gibson. Have I ever "really" noticed the difference between $1500-$2000 and $3000-$4500 of the same brand? Not really. It's almost all aesthetics at that point. Visually better wood and transparent paint instead of opaque. However, I have noticed the difference between $3000 guitars of different brands!

My suggestion, buy a used guitar and work your way up. This way, you will bypass the wait time, be able to "test the waters", and be able to sell the guitar (likely breaking almost even) before you take the risk. Considering you can buy a $3000 guitar used for $1200-$1500, I'd say you are mainly paying for "what you want". Would I buy a custom car without test driving one by the same manufacturer? Hell no!

Also, it seems like you are focused on aesthetics. Make sure the guitar is playable by you before you blow $2000 on upgrades for a custom build.

Reaction score
^ Good looks. I actually am quite the opposite. Aesthetics are just a bonus for me. I like what @decreebass said about making mistakes and learning what you like. I have played a variety of instruments over my 15 years of playing guitar, and I have learned what I like for the most part. Obviously, that is something that can change on a daily basis as you grow as a guitarist.

@fantom basically answered my question/confirmed my suspicions. $500 to $1500 yeah you'll definitely get better wood, better hardware etc. I was more curious as to what a $3700 Kxk or Skervy would have that's so much better than my Loomis sig or my Agile (which still impresses me every day with how well it plays for a $600 guitar, as well as how great the build quality is on it). I was mainly wondering if there was some hidden magical things about these boutique guitars that production guitars don't have. I am getting the impression that there is not. Thanks again guys. All this information is quite useful and much appreciated!

Latest posts

')