Need advice...please help.

Adil-2552

Reaction score
Hi there, it's been quite a while since my last post, so here goes...

It's currently 3:30AM and I'm having one of those nights where I just can't stop playing, one of those nights where everything seems flawless and natural. After about an hour of playing I started to venture into some heavy riffage and was surprised by some of things that came out.

Anyhow, I was curious about "dissonant chords"...At least that's what I've been told they're called.:scratch:
They're quite common in metal riffs, and many bands use them to create evil twisted sounds. I was using a few and was wondering if you guys could tell me what they're called...for example, D and E flat played together, or A and B flat played together. There's also the other kind that Petrucci uses in "This Dying soul"...The G flat and C played together.
I'd appreciate an explanation of some sort. :bowdown:

Now, let me get to my real problem...
I'm primarily self-taught and know very little theory, I just figure things out the hard way...through trial and error. This method works for me, but I can't help but feel a little irritated (and hindered) by the fact that I cannot identify what I'm playing, I feel as if I'm stuck in a rut.

What would you suggest for a player in my situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
G-flat and C is a tritone interval, "the key to the universe". Look it up if you have the time. In the past, the tritone was actually banned from the Catholic Church b/c it was too evil sounding, Diabolicus in Musica.

Adil-2552

Reaction score
G-flat and C is a tritone interval, "the key to the universe". Look it up if you have the time. In the past, the tritone was actually banned from the Catholic Church b/c it was too evil sounding, Diabolicus in Musica.

Excellent.
How about the D and E flat played together...is that also considered a tritone interval?
for example...
e------
B---4--
G---7--
D------
A------
E------

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
No, the interval between D and E-flat is a "Minor 2nd" interval, aka the "Jaws" theme (in my mind atleast, LOL.)

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
The tritone can be effectively used, but far too many bands *abuse* it. Here is perhaps the least subtle use of the tritone ever, but also among the most effective IMO.

')