Need advise on playing with drums

• Thread starter donnyb373
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
for some aparent reason i cant play anything when drums are thrown in.

for instance.....i can play a song perfect all the way through when its just me and my rig but as soon as i find a decent drummer to play with i cant play cause i miss stuff...ion i guess the beat f's me up:rant: .

i can play with my bro and his bass fine too, full fledge jam session goes perfect but as soon as the drummer gets to my house sets up and goes at it im cooked...

any advice?:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
You should practice playing with a metronome or a drum machine. Playing along with CD's can help, too.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Try listening to one of the songs you know and counting the beat out loud while tapping your foot. When this is comfortable try counting aloud, tapping your foot, and playing the guitar part all at the same time.

If you train yourself to feel the beat as you play you should have no problem playing with a drummer or metronome.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What Durero said. It's just a question of you and the drummer learning to synch your internal clocks. You and your brother are probably used to playing together, which is why it isn't an issue in that situation, as you both do it without thinking.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Is the drummer keeping time correctly? If you can play perfectly to a metronome but not to a drummer (should be human metronome) than there is a problem.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
Is the drummer keeping time correctly? If you can play perfectly to a metronome but not to a drummer (should be human metronome) than there is a problem.

this might be it aswell, we are doing 3 deftone covers at the moment and he doesnt know the exact beat of the songs so he kinda just "wings" itiono band pratice is sunday and iv been playing with cds and a metronome

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
well, if you are fine playing to the cd, get the drummer a copy of the songs and tell him to learn them and to not wing it.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
well its the drummer....found out he blows...hahahahah, he basicly is playing the same thing over and over just speeds it up or slows it down...off to find another drummer....

this sucks cause it took me 3 months to find this dude...

')