Need amp help for A tuning

• Thread starter frypot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I love GC due to their return policy, but that is simply not accurate. A more accurate statment would be..."GC will only take in used gear...if it makes noise.". Most of their employees probably have no clue whether or not an amp is actually "working properly", or is just producing sound. You can take my word for it, I have done massive amounts of trading with GC.

^^THIS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hi,

so i have a cheapy ibanez 6 string, setup, or down to A.

i didnt have much cash, so i bought a fender mustang iv v2. i noticed the built in effects sound like crap on my A guitar, but sound ok with my E guitar.

so i bought a mxr full bore metal. i was thoroughly impressed at how it handled the low end, at low volumes, wasnt muddy....until i kicked my gf and my baby out and cranked that sh!t up..... then i noticed that amp is not going to serve my purposes playing live or loud. it will do for recording direct into Ableton, and playing at low volumes, but hell no, at high volumes.

i suppose tuning that low requires a tube setup. i am thinking of a Mesa boogie 2x12 Rectifier Guitar Cabinet, $675.....and then i need a head. the cheapest one seems to be another $1000 aprox if i go with a mesa boogie. i def dont have $1600 right now, id be lucky to scrape up $1000

i guess i have 2 questions:
1. do any of yall have any economical options for an amp setup, for playing tuned down to A, at loud volumes for around $1000?

and (question 2 would be my first/ideal option as it would be most economical for me right now)

2. is there some other signal processing pedal/device that i could buy that would still allow me to use the fender mustang, and keep the sound clean at loud volumes?

thanks for your time.

I investigated the Fender Mustang amps just to waste some time one evening. I spent a couple hours in the rage room at GC with a Mustang V & 4x12 trying to get a high gain sound similar to a pegged 6505+ and never even got close. It sounded super thin and way too digital. The Fender Mustang series isn't for metal its for Dentist's and Lawyer's who play blues/jazz with relic'd Strat's and Private Stock PRS guitars me thinks. Get rid of it.

SSK0909

Reaction score
I wouldnt expect the problem to be solved just by buying a new amp/cab combo.

Imo, a regular six string isnt built for tunings below D standard og drop C. You'll need a seven string or barritone to avoid flubby strings which equals bad sound.
And then cheap Ibanez guitars have a reputation for being great guitars with crappy pickups, so those could be another source of bad sound.

rebornself27

Reaction score
I wouldnt expect the problem to be solved just by buying a new amp/cab combo.

Imo, a regular six string isnt built for tunings below D standard og drop C. You'll need a seven string or barritone to avoid flubby strings which equals bad sound.
And then cheap Ibanez guitars have a reputation for being great guitars with crappy pickups, so those could be another source of bad sound.

I agree my advice is to grab a peavey 5150 212 combo or Peavey xxx 212 combo and get urself a decent 7 string guitar with upgraded pickups Emg's or duncans or dimarzios loaded in it

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The tuning you play shouldn't make any difference at all in deciding which amp you buy, as long as the amp is EQ'd to the sound you like and the guitar is "in tune," you'll be good to go.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I love GC due to their return policy, but that is simply not accurate. A more accurate statment would be..."GC will only take in used gear...if it makes noise.". Most of their employees probably have no clue whether or not an amp is actually "working properly", or is just producing sound. You can take my word for it, I have done massive amounts of trading with GC.

Really? I'm actually sorry to hear that. At the GC near me, they run through all the channels and tweak everything before they take in something used. I assumed the rest did that as well because mine is a shithole and if they do it, the good stores must too!

Guess I was wrong :lol:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
No need to worrie Peaveys are built like tanks if something fails there easy fix almost every tech has there schematic cost could be anywhere from $25 to $300 being the worst possible but repair on alot of amps can be that bad solid state or tube but i dont think you will have to worrie on a peavey 5150 or peavey xxx

Agreed. I've got a 5150 and a Valveking, and both are super reliable, absolutely no problems at all (besides aesthetics, both were used :lol: ). Fear not :metal:

frypot

Reaction score
hey again!

so im thinking of the peavey valveking, as its like $500 new...

i know i know, go for used....

is there a big difference between the valveking, and the 6505, besides price? is there some reason why i should not consider the valveking?

that one dudes comments to get rid of the mustang, has a fire burning under me.

WarMachine

Reaction score
hey again!

is there a big difference between the valveking, and the 6505, besides price? is there some reason why i should not consider the valveking?

Yeah dude, one reason not to get a valveking over a 5150 is because you can buy a 5150 used for the same price as a valveking new :lol: but seriously tho, i used to own a valveking when i still had my 5150. I wanted a new amp and it had just come out so i gave it a test drive. Definitely peavey's rock answer to the 5150's metal answer. Dont get me wrong, when EQ'd right and with a OD USED as an OD and not just a "clean boost" then it can do metal nicely, BUT it just can't hang with the 5150's tone, brutz and reliability. So you could pay 500 for something that MAY last you a few years or pay 500 for something that could potentially outlast you, your kids, your kids kids and your dog :lol: Go for a 5150 dude, you wont be disappointed :agreed:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
hey again!

As fantastic as the Valveking is for me, the 5150 I got was a much better deal. With the Valveking, to play metal, you will definitely need a boost, and once you get it there it sounds awesome. However with the 5150/6505, you don't need a boost, it does metal right out of the box. Again, given the option, as much as I adore my Valveking, I'd go with the 6505/5150 here.

frypot

Reaction score
dammit...it seems i cannot escape being cheap here, and understandly so, u get what u pay for...

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
dammit...it seems i cannot escape being cheap here, and understandly so, u get what u pay for...

What do you mean?

Edit: if you're still in the "I only buy new" state of mind, I really advise you to at least try used. All of my amp purchases (Mustang I, Peavey Valveking, Peavey 5150) have been used. You can get such good deals that buying new seems weird in some cases.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Get it used. You are literally throwing money away buying a new 5150/6505 lol. They last forever.

Troof! My other guitarist's 5150 is from '93 IIRC and it's been used, gigged, thrown around in a trailer, toured in the Texas summer heat, and has never had a single issue that wasn't aesthetic or a routine tube change.

Frankb7stringer

Reaction score

It's very rare that you get more than what u paid for. As quality increases small amounts, price increases large amounts (especially new).

As far as 5150 quality over 6505 quality, I've played quite a few 65s over the past couple months that had problems. Three of them alone in the same Sam Ash.

A buddy of mine dropped his 5150 off the side of his lifted f250 onto my foot :mad: :realmad: (thank the Lord for steel toe boots). He Picked it up replaced one preamp tube and played his set without a hitch.

If ur still iffy about used you can buy the pro coverage from guitar center for 20 bucks.

')