Need an idea for a good Brutal Death Metal Amp

matt773175

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more modern type brutal death metal amp / high gain- in around the $200 area.

I currently have a line 6 Spider IV amp which I don't really care for at all.

Any suggestions would be great!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Crate GX130C 2x12. A combo version of the Crate GX130C and Ampeg VH140C.

Or the Ibanez TBX150R. If you look around, you can find it for cheap.

groph

Reaction score
Are you looking for a head or a combo? What sorts of tones are you going for, like a really sharp, middy Decapitated sort of tone or a sludgier, messy Suffocation tone? I have a few suggestions anyway:

Ibanez TBX 150 - Really really right, SUPER saturated as in tons and tons of gain. Maybe not the best quality amp out there but I tried one and instantly said "this is a BDM amp." Also comes as a combo.

Randall RH150 G3 (used) - Tightest amp I've ever played through. Metallic, razorlike tone, great for folk/power metal but you could probably get it to open up a little more for BDM. There are G3 series combo amps as well.

Peavey Ultra - 100W solid state head that can hang with a 6505+

Peavey XL - 100W solid state head/combo that I've never tried but they are praised on this board. I've heard some great clips of them.

matt773175

Reaction score
I really like the Devourment sound, looking for the great crunchy chug chug sound. (as best as I can describe it)

groph

Reaction score
Try and see if you can track down an Ampeg Vh140c or SS150. They're out of production and rare, but they're some of the best death metal amps out there.

I don't know what amps Devourment use, but I think a lot of their tone is in the technique of the guitar player.

Check that out if you haven't seen it already, and observe the epic spaghetti fingers and chug riffs. Basically any high gain amp will sound brutal if you play like that. Also I've found that a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge really helps getting that sort of grind or hair in the attack that characterizes a lot of death metal. Great pickup.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more modern type brutal death metal amp / high gain- in around the $200 area.

I currently have a line 6 Spider IV amp which I don't really care for at all.

Any suggestions would be great!

Reality Check...

$200 isn't going to buy you a modern type brutal death metal amp anymore than it's going to buy the other guy a dark doom setup on the cheap. Work hard and save your money for a used 5150/6505, Mesa Rec. or Marshall. There's no substitute for the horsepower of legit half/full tube stack making you pant legs flutter.

Jazzamatazz

Reaction score
I'm using a Peavey Vypyr 30 right now and I absolutly love it, great metal tone but like the guy above said, it's much better to just save up and buy a good amp and cab. I'm personally saving up for a 5150/6505

Ibanezrg560

Dat boy
Reaction score

ahh, i know the feeling when you want a great sound but don't have big money.

You may get lucky with a used blackstar ht-5 for about that price, there is a video by fearedse on youtube that sounds pretty good:hbang:

with a distortion petal you could probably get pretty close to what you are looking for.

mike0

Reaction score
Didn't the guy from decapitated use a crate excalibur? Those can be had for around 150-200. No personal experience with them but they should be worth checking out

matt773175

Reaction score
Just looking for personal use, don't need a massive amp for live performances or anything like that.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Adeamus

sucks.
Reaction score
Didn't the guy from decapitated use a crate excalibur? Those can be had for around 150-200. No personal experience with them but they should be worth checking out

I dunno about Decapitated but I had one for a couple years I had bought a half stack of for $250 (This was in 2002)

I was using it in a punk rock band, but they have a super dark tone and lots of lows. It's basically a solidstate Blue Voodoo, so listen to old Scepultura for a taste of what that will sound like.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

+1, if you can look around, you can find the GX900 head for as low as $80. And you could convert the Spider into a 1x12 cab, or find you a cheap 1x12 or 2x12.

Reaction score
Just looking for personal use, don't need a massive amp for live performances or anything like that.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

No worries then. Get a used Vypyr 75 or 100. I love them. I've got 3 different Vypyr's and I'm sure you can dial in a tone you'll find pleasing. Eventually you will need a 4X12 and a tube head though if you want to play with your typical metal drummer so save up.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Which Spider IV? 15w, 30w, 75w?

I have a Spider II 30w and the thing is killer for modern metal practice and home.

In the mean time, while saving money, get a beat up Boss Metalzone for cheap.

fassaction

Reaction score
craigslist is loaded with people trying to dump those Crate gx1200 half stacks. Most of them are going for around 200-250 bucks....not the greatest amp in the world, but im sure if you are on a budget of 200 bucks, a half stack sounds pretty exciting.

Whats wrong with the spider amp? Doesnt it have some built in death metal channel? I think its called "insane" or something of that nature.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
+1 on the Crate Excalibur and GX130C amps. I've played with an Excalibur for a while. The thing about those amps, though, is that they can be kinda picky with the gear you're using. It'll sound fucking brutal through certain cabs and with certain guitars/pickups, but it'll sound like muddy crap with others. At least that was my experience with it. Great amp nonetheless.

Also check out the Amptweaker TightMetal pedal.

Reaction score
Reality Check...

$200 isn't going to buy you a modern type brutal death metal amp anymore than it's going to buy the other guy a dark doom setup on the cheap. Work hard and save your money for a used 5150/6505, Mesa Rec. or Marshall. There's no substitute for the horsepower of legit half/full tube stack making you pant legs flutter.

If you want that devourment sound you want a triple rec or an amp with a bit of sag. 6505 is to tight and mosquito like.

')