Need bassy metal grill cab for Mesa Mark V + Marsall 1960A to complete full stack

KimchiMetal

Reaction score
First post here. Looking to complete my full stack (currently have Ibanez S7420QM > Mesa Boogie Mark V > Marshall 4x12 1960a).

Love the mids and highs of the Marshall cabs but was looking for a lot of bass in my bottom cabinet (preferably with metal grill)

Been contemplating on:
Krankenstein Cab
Randall RD412-D
Diamond 4x12
Engl PRO Straight E412VGB

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Why a metal grill? Are you concerned about looks or performance? I'm just curious as you've not stated a reason, and there are a lot of cabs that would fit the bill but don't have a metal grill.

If you decide to consider non metal grill cabs I'd look at the Orange PPC412 - very punchy in the low end and comes with v30s or k100s. I've not got experience with any of the listed cabs, sorry.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
The Orange is actually extremely lacking in low end IMO.

The Krank would be my choice, but why not get a 15"?

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Quitty said:
The Orange is actually extremely lacking in low end IMO.

Depends what tuning. If you play in standard tuning the Orange is punchy all the way around your low strings in standard, if you drop tune below B I always feel OS cabs handle things a bit better as they produce more 'real bass' as opposed to low mids (which most people perceive as bassy/punchy when palm muting).

But I've never ever heard someone say a PPC412 is extremely lacking in low end. They're designed to couple with the floor (so as to increase bass) and they're made from very thick wood. Every single one I've played has been very chunky and thick.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
I've tried 3 PPCs to date and they all had a rolloff around 100 Hz when recording.
In a live setting, they sound very 'chunky' but that's due to a high roll off as opposed to actual bass - they're 'cramped'. Good for many things, but not excessive lows -
try an Uberkab, a Mesa OS, an EV4x12 etc. for reference's sake.

Which also reminds me: OP, if you can land a Thiele cab, it might solve your problems for good.
Actually, a Thiele 1x12 could solve your problems just as well - but that depends on whether your "4x12, metal grill" requirement is aesthetics based, which i assume it is.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
I own an EVH412 and a Blackstar S1412 (OS 4x12). It is true, both have more bass than a 1960 (I also own a 1960B).

The PPC412 is chunky and would fill out your live sound when coupled with a 1960a. I agree it has rolled off highs, but I disagree that it lacks bass - v30s aren't necessarily bassy anyway but k100s should have plenty of bottom. A PPC412 (v30) has more bass than a 1960 style cabinet IME, and for live use the Orange is punchy in the areas where it matters. I've not tried the k100 PPC HP8 - but I think it might fit the bill.

OP hasn't really explained everything they want but I'm guessing this is for fullstack live use. I agree if they want just pure bass a bass type speaker or cab would be worth a look, but if they want punchy lows I'd be picking between a PPC412 (IME the chunkiest 'standard' cab) or OS - which do have more 'real' bass. For recording I'd go OS.

Mostly, I'm not sure why they want a metal grill, when none of the rest of their rig has a metal grill!

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
First post here. Looking to complete my full stack (currently have Ibanez S7420QM > Mesa Boogie Mark V > Marshall 4x12 1960a).

Love the mids and highs of the Marshall cabs but was looking for a lot of bass in my bottom cabinet (preferably with metal grill)

Been contemplating on:
Krankenstein Cab
Randall RD412-D
Diamond 4x12
Engl PRO Straight E412VGB

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you want bass, look at the Mesa Oversized Recto 4X12. PLenty of bass. No metal grill though. The Engl might be worth a shot, but nowhere near as bassy as the Mesa OS Recto.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
I think a Genz Benz G-Flex will put out more low end than any of the cabs you listed because it's ported. I've got the 2x12 version with a couple Eminence Legends, always get compliments on how it sounds. And it has a metal grill. I can't comment on the stock speakers though, I've always had Legends in it.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Scroll down to see the all black metal grill monster. You can have them replace the logo with the tiny square metal logo to look "tougher" lol.
Have it loaded with some bottom heavy speakers like k100s or an emminance equavilent.
These cabs are right up there with the very best, although it really would need some wheels added IMO. $599 w/free shipping is hard to beat for an all 3/4" birch ply cab with heavy duty everything.
G412 Contemporary

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I had a Krankenstein cab for years. Excellent design, lots of bass, no issues at all for me other than it really does require a minimum 100 watt power section to drive it to some good crunchiness and I moved to a 50W head. Otherwise, I'd have kept it. It was awesome and the guy I sold it to was stoked to get it. You can usually find them for $500-600 used.

That being said, that G412 Avatar is pretty sweet also in that metal grille finish.

BadSeed

Reaction score
If it has to have a metal grill, look for a used Vader cab. Very chunky and full sounding but in my experience most cabs will have more balls than a Marshall 1960. They're just not very full sounding cabs in my experience.

I'd suggest a Marshall mode four cab if it doesn't have to have a metal grill. . The model with the g12k100's is definitely a solid well built cab that is identical in measurement to a mesa OS but those speakers will put out more bass than a v30. These can be had for around 400 used. Just gotta keep an eye out.

Also, the old peavey ms412's with the cloth grill is a good and cheap choice. A big thick all birch cab with g12k85's (same as g1k100's) and can be had for 150 bucks all day long

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I have the ENGL Pro V30... it's got very tight and highly controlled low end, it can deliver the boomy goods but only if you dial 'em in. I don't think it's what you are looking for.

Are you dead set on a full stack? I'd just use the 1960 and swap some nastier speakers in the bottom half or X-pattern it. Swamp Thangs or G12K-100's. I just got a K-100, love it. It's got a certain anger that gets expressed in the low end.

I don't like mismatched cabs myself, but have used them in the past.

damico529

Reaction score
+1 for krank, ive got a sst cab with v12's I picked up for 275. bottom end for days.

KimchiMetal

Reaction score
Why a metal grill? Are you concerned about looks or performance? I'm just curious as you've not stated a reason, and there are a lot of cabs that would fit the bill but don't have a metal grill.

If you decide to consider non metal grill cabs I'd look at the Orange PPC412 - very punchy in the low end and comes with v30s or k100s. I've not got experience with any of the listed cabs, sorry.

Thanks for the response errybody. Want the metal grill since the bottom half of the full stack is more exposed to danger from people kicking it on accident or whatnot. Plus it looks crazy. Trying not to get mesa cabs since i want my rig to be truly unique by having mismatched speakers from different companies.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Your bass player's gunna love you :lol:

Another vote for an old boogie cab but your 1960 won't fit on it I wouldn't expect. Otherwise go MF400B but no metal grille

Latest posts