Need guitar neck recommendations

Magnus Langslet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey,
Looking for a new guitar, mostly for rock/metal. I love the thin neck on my Ibanez Jem 77 fp. With that in mind, are there any guitar models/neck types you recommend? Would like to go with something non-Ibanez this time. I have been looking at some Schecter models, but I don't know how their thin and ultra thin C type necks compare to my Jem. Unfortunately I can't try out any guitars because of where I live. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I’ve owned both and I can tell you personally I liked the Ibanez. The schecter necks are great but they are very round and narrow. They are two completely different beasts. I always felt “cramped” on schecters. Again that just me but I like the wider flatter d shape necks.
The JP6 would be another great consideration

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
If you dig Ibanez why not stick with them since you can’t try them out. You might find you don’t like another brand or it feels uncomfortable now that you are used to your Jem. I’d recommend going second hand and getting a RG652 or similar older model RG with aftermarket pickups.

Magnus Langslet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve owned both and I can tell you personally I liked the Ibanez. The schecter necks are great but they are very round and narrow. They are two completely different beasts. I always felt “cramped” on schecters. Again that just me but I like the wider flatter d shape necks.
The JP6 would be another great consideration
Do you know what the Nitro Wizard necks are like? Because I've pretty much scrapped the idea of getting something that isn't Ibanez, and this RGA61AL is looking hot as hell.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
The nitro will be thicker then your jem by about 1mm and the radius is 400 instead of the 430 on jems. If you like the thin and flat Necks the genisis series is a serious bang for the buck or a used 652 or some type of prestige (SSO moniker should be “just buy a used prestige”).

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I would recommend trying a lot of different necks. I used to be all about slim necks until I accidentally bought a used PRS Custom 24 from an online shop that had the wide fat neck. I was like "Damn, I can't possibly play this... fuuuck, why didn't I check the neck specs?".

Then I decided to try to like it. Turns out it's probably the best neck I have right now, and I've sold many of the super-slim ones. I've really fallen in love the features of a semi-fat neck, meaning the feel of the vibrato and bending, when compared to some of the ice cream sticks that many modern superstrats offer.

I would recommend buying as many guitars of different kinds as you can, and keeping them for at least a month or two. I remember starting with slimmer neck guitars, and that's the only thing I knew and could appreciate. Any fatter and it would feel weird (of course, duh, since I never really gave fatter necks a chance!). But I really found my home with chunkier necks after being autobrainwashed to only like slim necks.

So my advice = try out different guitars with different kinds of necks, and give yourself time to acclimatize to new neck profiles. You might find you like something even more than a JEM :)

Adieu

Reaction score
If you mess around with cheap bolton guitars (or if you're brave and/or rich), you can shave necks down to your liking.

It basically involves taking a boxcutter or razor blade and re-carving it to your liking (except you run it across to shave off fine dust a gazillion times instead of full on cutting off parts)

Of course there ARE limits, like structural integrity and truss rod depth, but you can take off A LOT, especially on thick poly gloss necks. Or really change the shoulder shape. Or both.

Magnus Langslet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The nitro will be thicker then your jem by about 1mm and the radius is 400 instead of the 430 on jems. If you like the thin and flat Necks the genisis series is a serious bang for the buck or a used 652 or some type of prestige (SSO moniker should be “just buy a used prestige”).
There is unfortunately not much of a used market where I live. The thin D shape will be pretty much the same on the nitro wizard necks, no? As long as the shape is similar I can deal with something a tiny bit thicker. I looked at the genisis guitars, and while I don't doubt that they're great for the money, it looked a little plain to me. Would like a finish a little more exciting than just flat blue.

Magnus Langslet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would recommend trying a lot of different necks. I used to be all about slim necks until I accidentally bought a used PRS Custom 24 from an online shop that had the wide fat neck. I was like "Damn, I can't possibly play this... fuuuck, why didn't I check the neck specs?".

Then I decided to try to like it. Turns out it's probably the best neck I have right now, and I've sold many of the super-slim ones. I've really fallen in love the features of a semi-fat neck, meaning the feel of the vibrato and bending, when compared to some of the ice cream sticks that many modern superstrats offer.

I would recommend buying as many guitars of different kinds as you can, and keeping them for at least a month or two. I remember starting with slimmer neck guitars, and that's the only thing I knew and could appreciate. Any fatter and it would feel weird (of course, duh, since I never really gave fatter necks a chance!). But I really found my home with chunkier necks after being autobrainwashed to only like slim necks.

So my advice = try out different guitars with different kinds of necks, and give yourself time to acclimatize to new neck profiles. You might find you like something even more than a JEM :)
I'm sure I would find something else I like, but I simply don't have the money nor the access to music stores to do that

Bdtunn

Reaction score
There is unfortunately not much of a used market where I live. The thin D shape will be pretty much the same on the nitro wizard necks, no? As long as the shape is similar I can deal with something a tiny bit thicker. I looked at the genisis guitars, and while I don't doubt that they're great for the money, it looked a little plain to me. Would like a finish a little more exciting than just flat blue.

what about the purple,red or yellow reissue rg550 genisis? There’s got to be some of those around still. That gives you a thinner neck then the jem. I actually prefer that neck over my old jem to be honest.

Magnus Langslet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what about the purple,red or yellow reissue rg550 genisis? There’s got to be some of those around still. That gives you a thinner neck then the jem. I actually prefer that neck over my old jem to be honest.
Maybe there are. I just noticed the neck joint on those guitars though, it's one of those square blocks isn't it? That kinda breaks the guitar for me unfortunately, one of the things I was looking forward to with a new guitar was a rounder neck joint :I