Need help buying a live rig!

• Thread starter Farcry0092
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Right now im using a Line 6 PODXt live run straight into the mixing board then out through the house PA, but there are a couple venues in my area that dont really like me doing that for the sake of simplicity. Since they are smaller venues, they dont need to mic the cabs at all, so theyd rather just have an unmic'd cab versus having to find me a spot on the snake for the di box.

My question im bringing to you now is what would be the best amp/cab combo to purchase for cheap? I still plan on using the pod for my tones and effects so the sound doesnt have to be the best.

I see theres a cheap randall on musicians friend that looks like it might work:
Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack | Musician's Friend

Is this the right idea? Ive also been looking at just getting a rack mounted power amp to run the cab, so i dont have to waste money getting a full functioning head. Can anyone suggest anything like that to me?

Any help you guys can give would be awesome! Thanks! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
So your buying a new rig because venues don't want to deal with another XLR cable?

Fuck them.

Get a FRFR speaker :)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Agree with above. Get an Alto TS115A.
Don't get the Randall RX120. It's bad. And I'm a huge Randall fan.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
ok let me reword that haha

its not just for that reason, but id rather have it and not have to worry about it, then get to the show and find out they cant do it or whatever. I also want to have some of the sound come from the stage. I just like having some of the sound come from behind me, its weird i know lol

What exactly is an FRFR speaker?

Farcry0092

Reaction score
So essentially, buy the active PA speaker, and just run the XT through the speaker, and thats all ill need? also would it be possible to mic it and get a decent sound from the speaker?

You mention running it to xlr, but the XT only has 1/4" and midi out, so could i get a 1/4" to xlr cable or still use the DI box?

This is definitely looking like a better route, thanks a lot! :cool:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, 1/4th to XLR should work.

And Micing might not be neccesarry. The Alto is 800Ws and has a 15inch speaker. You may need a PA stand, though.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
FRFR are full range, flat response speakers. Essentially, it's a large p.a speaker that doesnt colour your tone like a guitar cabinet would.

I have an HD500 and the new Line 6 L3M powered monitor. I have three outputs. one going to my monitor on stage, one going to our drummers interface/in ears, and one going to soundguy for D.I.

I have an incredibly loud stage sound (I've used it at a floor show where the p.a was just for vocals, it held it's own against a 5150 easy) and I still retain the D.I setup I prefer.

Nice and easy. Look into the L3M. It's 1400w and really grunty. Would be good to be paired with a line 6 product.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Not to spam (but kinda am) but check out my video (replace iPad with Pod)

Never had a problem live hearing myself or being heard.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
the 1 second mention of a monitor in a 2.06 advert for your app? Righto.

OP - get a powered monitor. I'd highly recommend the L3M. It's the same height as a 4x12 but half the width. About the same size as your average 2x12 guitar cab. Easy to carry and it pushes A LOT of air. Every other option in that price range looked too small for my needs.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
In my post, said, "replace iPad with Pod" same deal, plus it shows how loud it can be, so no, not "1 second".

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
I have a rx 120, actually doesnt sound to bad IMO with pedals. I have played a bunch of shows with it and never had trouble getting it loud enough. I kinda lik ethe cab, sounds awsome with my 6505+ 112

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Well, FWIW, Ive got a friend who uses his pod hd500 into the effects return of an MG and it sounds pretty boss, since all its really being used as is a power amp. So, If youre going for the head/cab look, then by all means go for it (the randall), but im definetely on board with the FRFR route:agreed:

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Or wait a bit and see if that Jet City FRFR cab that looks like a 4*12 ever comes out. The prototype looks wicked.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
If youre just using the POD, Id probably grab a cheap power amp, like the SLA-2, and whatever 412 you can find on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks.

')