Need help choosing Bareknuckle specs.

• Thread starter Tesla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm wanting to buy a set of Bareknuckle Juggernauts for my Charvel Joe Duplantier model, I just wanna make sure I'm getting everything right here before I pull the trigger, so looking for some help!

The guitar itself just has a volume control and a 3 way switch, no tone control... so I'm assuming I'd only need the two conductor wiring as opposed to the 4 conductor they offer? Is that correct?

I'm also having a little bit of trouble understanding the string spacing. I assume it's a 50mm spacing as it's a standard TOM bridge, not a trem which needs 53mm. I've attached a picture of the measuring the website suggested, but not making much sense of it. If anyone could help/confirm that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the noob post, I just like to be sure about these things!

IMG_5838.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taikatatti

Reaction score
50mm/les paul spacing seems to be correct.

If you intend to keep those pickups in that guitar only then 2-conductor is fine. In 4-conductor you could just tape the 2 extra leads off (in BKPs case green and white).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
50 vs 53 is mostly cosmetic, and having the pole peices visually align with the strings. It makes extremely little/inaudible impact on the sound of the pickup.

I'd also go 4 conductor and just tape off the wires you don't need, less for resale value than because if down the road you decide you DO want to do something else, like a series/parallel switch or a coil tap, or a switch to a five-way with some additional sounds (say, adding neck parallel as position 2, and the inside coils as position 4) then you have the abilty to do so. It's essentially no additional work when installing them to just tape the conductors off and tuck them out of the way, but while a tapped or parallel humbucker isn't really a perfect substitute for a true singlecoil, it's a pretty cool sound in its own right and playing live it's easily close enough to get the job done.

Dave Death

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree on the 53mm 4-conductor short leg recommendation. Unless you plan to put them in a Gibson that is really the best choice. Even Gibsons sometimes come in 53mm, and many aftermarket TOM bridges - e.g., Gotoh and TonePros - are pre-slotted in wide spacing. You could also set up coil splits using a push-pull volume pot if you wish

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which Duplantier model is it? I couldn't personally imagine wanting to swap out his dimarzio set for anything else pick up wise myself.

Alex79

Reaction score
Which Duplantier model is it? I couldn't personally imagine wanting to swap out his dimarzio set for anything else pick up wise myself.

I agree. As much as I love BKP, that guitar comes with custom pickups to fit that artist’s vision. I’d be very reluctant to swap and at least would keep them safe if I’d swap them out.

Dave Death

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like 53mm is closest in that photo

Definitely keep any parts you remove and make sure any mods are reversible, for the sake of resale

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree. As much as I love BKP, that guitar comes with custom pickups to fit that artist’s vision. I’d be very reluctant to swap and at least would keep them safe if I’d swap them out.
Don't get me wrong. If I buy a sig guitar and I don't like the pick ups at all I have no issues swapping them out. But in this instance the Dimarzio set in Joe's guitar is probably my favorite set of passive pick ups on the market right now along with the Juggernauts.

Latest posts