Need Help Completing Live Rig

• Thread starter Subranis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Subranis

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was recently provided the opportunity to play a live gig with my group but I personally don't own any live gear (I record out of my home studio set up).

I have already bought a Pod HD500X to emulate all my effects and tones for the show, but I need to know what speaker or cab I should buy.

Keep in mind I know literally zilch about live performance gear, amps, cabs, etc.

I was hoping I'd be able to just simulate amp heads and cabs with the HD500X and just line that through a high-output speaker, but if that's completely insane please let me know.

If you guys know of any specific purchases for speakers or amps that are cost effective and good for first gigs (we'll be playing at a local bar, last show they had about 100-150 tickets sold) please let me know. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I was hoping I'd be able to just simulate amp heads and cabs with the HD500X and just line that through a high-output speaker, but if that's completely insane please let me know.

Given your current setup, that sounds like a good idea to me since you already have all your tones set up in the POD. Find yourself a good FRFR powered monitor type cab and you'll be ready to go. In all likelihood you'll have to tweak the tones for a new cab though (make a new setlist, copy all your tones into it, tweak them for the cab - now you can switch setlists depending on your output device).

Subranis

Reaction score
Given your current setup, that sounds like a good idea to me since you already have all your tones set up in the POD. Find yourself a good FRFR powered monitor type cab and you'll be ready to go. In all likelihood you'll have to tweak the tones for a new cab though (make a new setlist, copy all your tones into it, tweak them for the cab - now you can switch setlists depending on your output device).

Nice to know I'm not completely screwed with equipment, haha!
Thanks man, appreciate it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I usually monitor with in-ears using an Aviom system.

On the occasion that I need a speaker (for feedback sustain) I use my Carvin AG100D acoustic amp, and connect the HD500X output to the Loop Return of the Carvin so that I'm basically bypassing any of the Carvin's preamps and going directly to its poweramp. There's a small attenuator to trim the highs as needed, depending on the room. It's worked out quite well so far.

In fact, I have a video from using it recently in this same forum section, give it a listen for yourself.

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Find yourself a good FRFR powered monitor type cab and you'll be ready to go.
I would go this route, but it depends on whether the bar will let you go through their PA system or not. Many budget powered monitors would be loud enough for you and the band to hear yourself on stage, but won't be loud enough to carry a room of that size at gigging volumes.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
I would go this route, but it depends on whether the bar will let you go through their PA system or not. Many budget powered monitors would be loud enough for you and the band to hear yourself on stage, but won't be loud enough to carry a room of that size at gigging volumes.

Have you encountered any places where they don't alow you to do that?
I myself am planing to go direct live, but if this is a problem I guess I have to think of some alternatives for myself.

There was this gig where I couldn't get shit out of the venues rig, so I asked if going DI would be option, but soundguy said that he couldn't put me in monitors at all.
Dude was major asshole though... :ugh:

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Have you encountered any places where they don't alow you to do that?
I myself am planing to go direct live, but if this is a problem I guess I have to think of some alternatives for myself.

There was this gig where I couldn't get shit out of the venues rig, so I asked if going DI would be option, but soundguy said that he couldn't put me in monitors at all.
Dude was major asshole though... :ugh:
You'll run into that every once in a while. It depends entirely on the venue and the mood of the sound man that day. Most larger venues would prefer you go direct so they have full control over your sound and they usually have decent sound guys. It's the smaller dive venues where you never know what you're going to get.

I say better safe than sorry. Plan to go direct to the PA, but bring your own monitor that can go loud enough to carry the room if you need. I had success with the EV ELX112p. Not completely transparent, but loud enough to be used as a backup in small venues.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
You should check out the Line 6 StageSource L3m.

I am still hunting one down for live use, I use my iPad/iPhone with JamUp as my live/recording rig.

Latest posts

')