Need help deciding on a fireball. 60 or 100?

• Thread starter Scorpiobevo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Ive decided to buy a Engl fireball. I cant decide on the 60 or the 100. i have found a 100w for 1,200 + shipping and i found a 60w for about 1k shipped. I am aware or the differences in thier features but i am just concerned with thier raw tone. I want the one with the most brutal balls out tone and which one is better for rythem and the bootz. thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 60 myself, just be aware they are voiced with the scooped mids tone and they do not cut in a mix at all. They're also tricky to get voiced correctly under a mic as well, alot of guys much prefer the sound of the 100 as it is considered much improved (also has a mid boost feature) but honestly i have not played one so i cant make a fair judgement call.

For sheer brutality, Fireball 60. for versatility, cutting attitude, and mixing character, Fireball 100.

Jan

Reaction score
I used to own a FB 60. It doesn't cut through in a mix. AT ALL. Unless your line-up is one guitarist+drummer. Mind you, I had an ENGL 4x12 (V60) to complement it. Perhaps it would have been better with V30's... Once I had the chance to hook it up to my friends Orange 2x12 Cab, but I didn't have the time to try it in a band setting. All I can say is that it had more fizz with that cab. I think some ENGLS (at least Fireballs and Powerballs) are a bit hyped. After I sold my FB I got a Peavey 6505 and it owned ENGL in every possible way except for the cleans.

If you really must buy an ENGL, take a look at the FB 100 - I haven't tried it, but with more headroom and a mid-boost it must be better.

Or try a Blackmore, it's a tad less compressed and a tad less brutal (just a tad - it will still do death metal if you want it to) , but its a great amp.

Mind you, the FB sounded pretty good in the studio and I liked the "feel" of the amp. It was very tight and had tons of gain. It sounded great on its own, it simply wouldn't work with the whole band playing.

This band's demo was recorded using my Fireball. They weren't great musicians, neither was the studio equipment state-of-the-art, but the FB did a pretty nice job.
http://www.myspace.com/swdie

evilsaint

Reaction score
FB100 +1

It has mid boost which gives you RAW and heavy mid punchy tone.
The built-in noise gate is great.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
FB100 owner here... tried both... buy the FB100. Hands down.

LukeNecraG

Necrabeast
Reaction score
The Fireball 100 is definetly superior to the 60. More features, better in the mix, more headroom.......
BUT +1 to the Savage. Or an Invader if you want a little extra. They're the high end ENGLs for a reason.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Do the FB100. I loved my FB60 until I used it with just me and a drummer. Bordeline hated it in a full band context.

')